Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 22nd July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted

Woken not by thunder, but the wind blasting through the bedroom windows that have been open for the last 2 weeks. Now heavy rain, not yet torrential. I'm only seeing/hearing t&l from within 2 miles due to cloud and the rain but it's every minute or so. Just seen the radar, wonder if that white patch is coming this way?

Posted

Can hear a lot of very faint thunder from the beast to the east of here with the odd one cracking off closer here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Listening to High Peak Radio and it sounds bad around Whalley Bridge, Chapel en le Frith and Buxton way- flooding in Whalley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

anyone who thinks I'm making up the fact we have a Cheshire/ Merseyside Storm Shield...just take a look at this grab from 5 mins ago...you literally couldn't make it up...

post-7254-0-11375300-1374558134_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Listening to High Peak Radio and it sounds bad around Whalley Bridge, Chapel en le Frith and Buxton way- flooding in Whalley

That's it, rub it in lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looking back at the radar at just after 4am there is a very intense but small echo just east of Melton Mowbray which is where I saw the storm. This would be about right as the really intense manic stuff only lasted about 10 mins to be followed by more traditional downpour style rain and a bit of a breeze. The lightning was phenomenal though.

Appears most people had similar stuff overnight, even around here in Belper looks to have gotten hit. Lots of heavy rain now in Belper and thunder banging away about every 2-3 minutes. Looks like a messy MCS with lots of rain and embedded lightning. 

West Yorkshire/East Lancashire border area is about to get walloped with some very intense precipitation at the front of this system.

Looks like plenty more cells ganging up in the south ready to hit us Midlanders/Northerners once more Posted Image

Edited by Supacell

Posted

anyone who thinks I'm making up the fact we have a Cheshire/ Merseyside Storm Shield...just take a look at this grab from 5 mins ago...you literally couldn't make it up...

Posted ImageCapture.JPG

I've had a couple of distant rumbles- a good innings for here!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

moved away now a total of 1.1mm of rain. Wow

Posted

what a night - we've had storms since around 2.30am and still flashing and rumbling out there

think I've had about 2 hours sleep :(+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Heavy rain with large drops but nothing more here, can hear loads of sferics though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Heavy rain here for the last hour or so.As was the case yesterday evening most of the thunder and lightning is to the east of here,but still getting the odd flash and crash.

Posted

Had a cracker of a show since 6am, going to bed about 2ish I wasn't really expecting anything between then and now so waking up to the sight of a near-dark sky and increasing volumes of thunder was quite a way to jump out of bed. Things settled again but the beeb are keen for more storms locally later on this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

This is one for the history books for storms. Strobe lighting constant through my window all night, anvil crawlers, spectacular c-c's and c-g's, accompanied by some of the loudest thunder I've heard in my life and its still rumbling on! The loud thunder was at around 5.15 and sounded like a bomb had gone off, +CG?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

I swear I'm moving from Norfolk. The place is a weather desert (unless you want coastal clag and cold winds for 6 months) Can't believe I've put up with it for so long. And this morning we have.....grey dull skies. I'm demanding Smiley Carol is sacked, she's like a flippin' albatross!

Posted

Woke up fourty minutes ago by big gust of wind, made my coffee and its horrendous out there huge wind gusts lightning constant overhead but also over the hills towards hyde/mottram and rain is making river out of our road......thats what i call athunderstorm! Lightening still going good..... Some pretty close strikes....

Posted

didnt sleep much because of the heat, but nodded off early morning only to be awokon  not long after by a fairly close crack , with intense rain and hail followed by another close crack, now the shows over , with a distant rumble heard not bad for here, but still pathetic , more a thundery shower than a storm.  ttey dont breed em like they used to here

feeling tired and it work now, damn heat,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

I've had a couple of distant rumbles- a good innings for here!

That's you out of the NSC then...haven't even had that. Just rain.

Posted

Did you catch where abouts? I know up in Lyme Park my brother is currently dashing pots and pans trying to stop a roof leak.

Posted

Sat under the non thundery moderate rain now while the storms initiate north of here! Just missed a hit from that one!

Posted

That's you out of the NSC then...haven't even had that. Just rain.

I don't think so. Not enough to get out of the NSC. It wasn't a proper storm.

Flooding will definitely be a problem if this keeps up. Torrential rain on and off for about 20 minutes, and the drains are struggling. Thunder is sounding rather distant, but looking at the radar, it seems that more may be on the way!