Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 22nd July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted

Hammering it down now. Seems to be all IC lightning at the moment. That one was timed at 4 seconds :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

When the heat gets going and storms become surface based (heat generated) then I'd expect some added extras in the storms. It looks as though quite a LONG period of thunderstorm activity is likely and currently another hot weekend in the south forecast so the cool down not such to a degree of total refreshment? but some fresher air less humid at times. The storms cooling things at times too. 

So before I sign off (still be reading on/off) I can say that plenty of chance to get storms for many over the next few days. Looks a very very active day with the storms and expect some even bigger/sevr ones to possibly develop today with potential MCS's tonight into the next day.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Woken by very loud thunder here, pouring down too haven't seen lightning yet.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Now Sheffield shield shred this lot of storms. It's now raining and distant Thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

to your south matt? a bit more active here now, maybe a strike every 60 secs

yep towards ure area in fact. Daylight is coming to spoil the fun now. Seems to have died down now though.

Posted

Theres the lightning too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Guess where that gap in the middle of the arch is... although i did just have a flash and rumble

We've managed to just miss the storms from last night and also this latest lot too! Trying desperately to balance my childlike jealousy of missing storms with being a responsible parent LOL!I'll have to sulk quietly....

Posted

Awesome cross cloud spiders.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Morning PM, same here in Matlock, also looks like Chesterfield in firing line, huge claps of thunder.

Morning mark, Skys really dark here now, with storm almost directly over me. Multiple strikes to the South.

Posted

hell its like stealers wheel here, storms to the left of me , storms to the right and I,m stuck in the middle, hit by thunder, ha ha

Posted

Sheffield shield broken lighting not a lot but lightning. Another firmware upgrade will be applied.

Posted

Yeah matt i think it was alot more active over in lichfield than here as most strikes seemed to be to my east (i counted around 15) , however im not going to be greedy and say i am pleased with that and can now sleep happy

Posted

Beautiful lightning here now, we really have been spoiled in Nottinghamshire in the past 10hrs!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Looks like I'm just a bit to far west for the current storm over Telford.... Few distant flashes observed and good rumbles but that's it for now

Posted

Driving Northants to Somerset. Now stopped at junction 8 Strensham for coffee. Nothing happening here. Was a lot going on as I went past coventry area on m6 though. Have also come through some very heavy rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Yeah matt i think it was alot more active over in lichfield than here as most strikes seemed to be to my east (i counted around 15) , however im not going to be greedy and say i am pleased with that and can now sleep happy

I'm looking at the storm to my south west over Wolverhampton way, that's where most of my lightning is coming from. However the CG was to my south east, so both storms must be very close. Dying back now, rain has almost stopped and there is very little lightning to be had from either direction...so i'm going to get ready for work. Off to Leamington Spa this morning! Maybe i will see something down there lol

Note to CreweCold, Blizzards, Kain etc - that area of storms in SW England is probably what will affect you guys later today, including me.

Yep.. Has been kabooming away nicely here, at times frequent almost strobe like lightning, some close calls! ear splitting thunder, torrential rain and occasionally gusty wind.Phew, was getting worried lol...rain very very welcome indeed as well.

Posted

Sheffield shield shredding the storm steadily it will need reinforcements if it's going to survive.

Posted

I'm looking at the storm to my south west over Wolverhampton way, that's where most of my lightning is coming from. However the CG was to my south east, so both storms must be very close. Dying back now, rain has almost stopped and there is very little lightning to be had from either direction...so i'm going to get ready for work. Off to Leamington Spa this morning! Maybe i will see something down there lol

ahh i see, well i am directly to your north preety much in gentleshaw so they wernt my strikes, however the cg was probably the same lot that hit lichfield, anyway good luck with anything down there today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

There's a tiny but active sell due South of here. Hopefully it builds and booms. BBC showed this system back building and lasting right the way through until this evening.

What do people make of a homegrown threat throughout today as this is all but done at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Doesn't look like this batch will keep its act together by the time it reaches here (quelle surprise), but looks like Manchester will get battered.

Edited by cheese

Posted

There's a tiny but active sell due South of here. Hopefully it builds and booms. BBC showed this system back building and lasting right the way through until this evening. What do people make of a homegrown threat throughout today as this is all but done at the moment.

sounds like you had preety much the same as me mate, there are some new cells further south in sw/cs england, but everything seems to be heading in different directions at the moment!