Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 23rd July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Looks like something being triggered, just north of London, on latest radar returns.

Tom.

Posted

Not so sure the SE is ready to go, really.

Looks like quite a cap (at least from the Herstmonceaux 12z sounding) EDIT: oops looking at a linear chart not a skew-t: correction NO CAP!!

post-5986-0-63722000-1374592926_thumb.pn

Looks a little larger than forecast,

post-5986-0-28606500-1374593032_thumb.gi

Really need to get that surface heating going so we can connect the dense cooler air aloft with the less-dense warmer stuff at the PBL. Something's just left France with Medway's name on it, so here's hoping Posted Image

Edited by Sparkicle

Posted

storm fired North of london lucky f...

It's not really a storm, it developed near by/just over us, and all it produced was heavy rain, no thunder or anything. 

Posted

Hi can anyone kind enough offer me a few words of  hope.  I stayed at mums last night in Fleet, Hants. I stayed up pretty much all night.

And watched the full moon for most of the night ;). Saw a couple of very distant flickers of lightning to the east, but no storms at all or rain.

So far its been a non event for me. I know last nights home grown storms were great for many, and a bonus before the main event.

Can any kind soul offer some advice for me as to when the main thunderstorms and thundery rain as per the MO forecast for the south,

should get going ? Will it be this evening or overnight. ? Its 28oC here at moment and after a sunny morning its a uniform overcast sky

very humid but no signs of any storms...yet. ;)  Any insight as to timings later would be gratefully appreciated. Just dont want to risk missing

out on the big one by falling asleep...

X

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

hahah always the bridsmaid never the bride ay lmao.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hi can anyone kind enough offer me a few words of  hope.  I stayed at mums last night in Fleet, Hants. I stayed up pretty much all night.

And watched the full moon for most of the night Posted Image. Saw a couple of very distant flickers of lightning to the east, but no storms at all or rain.

So far its been a non event for me. I know last nights home grown storms were great for many, and a bonus before the main event.

Can any kind soul offer some advice for me as to when the main thunderstorms and thundery rain as per the MO forecast for the south,

should get going ? Will it be this evening or overnight. ? Its 28oC here at moment and after a sunny morning its a uniform overcast sky

very humid but no signs of any storms...yet. Posted Image  Any insight as to timings later would be gratefully appreciated. Just dont want to risk missing

out on the big one by falling asleep...

Thanks Posted Image

X

Based on recent experience, you might be better assuming a big zilch, but keeping an ear open, just in case?Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Sunny spells here in Yarmouth, barely a breath of wind. Not sure what happened to these storms, all i've seen by the coast and inland is mid to high level cloud, the thickest giving moderate rain (albeit large drops), sod all convection to be honest.

Looking at raintoday, all I see is more of the same, scattered high cloud giving  few localised showers.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

We had a storm come through around midday, nothing like last night, rumbled a bit, did not see any lightning, it did produce a 5 min heavy downpour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Need to keep an eye on that cell in the Channel, just west of Dieppe.

Seems to be tracking a shade east of north.

Tom.

Posted

You wouldn't send a dog out in this weather!

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

You wouldn't send a dog out in this weather!

Posted Image

Is that a "Hot Dog"?

Posted

Based on recent experience, you might be better assuming a big zilch, but keeping an ear open, just in case?Posted Image 

Aww.. :( :(  I hope you are kidding.  The fax chart shows a cold front moving over London around dawn, do you not think

this will be the main band of thundery rain ? I do hope so.. :)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/77345-thunderstorms-of-the-23rd-of-july/

PLEASE ADD YOUR REPORTS ( VIDEOS/PICTURES )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aww.. Posted ImagePosted Image  I hope you are kidding.  The fax chart shows a cold front moving over London around dawn, do you not think

this will be the main band of thundery rain ? I do hope so.. Posted Image

I hope so too, MT...I just find it less traumatic if I 'prepare for the worst and hope for the best...Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Aww.. Posted ImagePosted Image  I hope you are kidding.  The fax chart shows a cold front moving over London around dawn, do you not think

this will be the main band of thundery rain ? I do hope so.. Posted Image

Well it will either be imported storms along the frontal band, or a band of light rain and drizzle.

I'm going for raging in the drizzle over singing in the rain Posted Image

In positive news, the 30C mark was broken at Heathrow again today. Which was well forecast, well except the bbc Posted Image

Ok massive fail there, the temperature here is 25.2C which is higher than predicted anywhere in this region.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

Well it will either be imported storms along the frontal band, or a band of light rain and drizzle.

I'm going for raging in the drizzle over singing in the rain Posted Image

In positive news, the 30C mark was broken at Heathrow again today. Which was well forecast, well except the bbc Posted Image

Aww thanks for replying. I cant seem to see the cold front on the rainfall radar at the moment, or even the clouds. Is it a developing

feature do you think ?

Posted

Aww thanks for replying. I cant seem to see the cold front on the rainfall radar at the moment, or even the clouds. Is it a developing

feature do you think ?

We can hope, it's where the two airmasses hit and theoretically where the storms should kick off. In the end we will need to rely on storms over in France which unfortunately have a habit of missing to the east in recent years

Posted

Sticky, hot and sticky . . . . sort of heat you do not feel like moving in . . . .  Nice COLD cider in the fridge for later with some ice cubes on the side.

On the weather front nothing much happening here besides heat

Posted

Nice COLD cider in the fridge for later with some ice cubes on the side.

Real cider ice lollies for me when I finally get to them!

Posted

Well I've tried very hard to make it rain here today and failed.

I've painted the shed door, washed the car, put washing out to dry and watered the garden-twice. All I've had is a dark cloud pass over.

After having been up half the night watching distant lightening and listening to distant thunder I feel miffed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Well I am back, not been around since the snow shuffled off!

Thought I should check in after last nights storms, strange though, the baby can sleep through any thunder but my snoring wakes her in a shot!

Posted

Coast you are teasing again :-p

Sorry, it must be the heat :doh:

Posted Image