Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern Regional Discussion Discussion 23rd July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Tomorrow's rainfall most prevalent in the circled area;

post-12721-0-82187300-1375131098_thumb.j

10mm - 20mm quite widely in the highlighted area, with perhaps locally higher values. Outside of the highlighted area will see lesser and more inconsequential amounts, broadly speaking 2mm - 8mm.

Northern parts of the region may see hardly anything.

I do expect this rainband to clear Cornwall by 09:30 - 10:30am, and most other areas by lunchtime to leave brighter skies for the afternoon.

Not quite as interesting as today though hey?! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow/thunderstorms

Tomorrow's rainfall most prevalent in the circled area;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

10mm - 20mm quite widely in the highlighted area, with perhaps locally higher values. Outside of the highlighted area will see lesser and more inconsequential amounts, broadly speaking 2mm - 8mm.

Northern parts of the region may see hardly anything.

I do expect this rainband to clear Cornwall by 09:30 - 10:30am, and most other areas by lunchtime to leave brighter skies for the afternoon.

Not quite as interesting as today though hey?! :)

Not interesting at all for me today. Anything other than rain tomorrow as it passes AWD ?

Posted

Torrential rain here in Arborfield near Reading for the last ten minutes with the odd rumble of thunder. We had some lightning about 45 minutes ago. Looks like storm cells pushing up from the south and south west.

Where in Arborfield are you? I assume you must be up near the cross or the church. Here in Penrose Park we had no more than light rain, barely enough to wet the ground.

Posted

Not interesting at all for me today. Anything other than rain tomorrow as it passes AWD ?

Nope, just bog standard rain tomorrow morning for you. Some gusty winds tomorrow afternoon around your island, but that's about as exciting as it gets unfortunetly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow and storms

Where in Arborfield are you? I assume you must be up near the cross or the church. Here in Penrose Park we had no more than light rain, barely enough to wet the ground.

Yes, we are the other side of the village near Pudding lane nursery so about a mile from you I expect.

Posted

Yes, we are the other side of the village near Pudding lane nursery so about a mile from you I expect.

That shows what a difference a mile can make, then! I estimate we've had less than 1mm of rain here today. In comparison, Maiden Erlegh weather station in Earley, Reading, has had 17.6mm of rain today, most of which fell this evening. http://maidenerleghschool.co.uk/community/maiden-erlegh-weather-station/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Some rather large CB's rolling past my house now. The glare of orange light from the streets makes them very visible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow and storms

That shows what a difference a mile can make, then! I estimate we've had less than 1mm of rain here today. In comparison, Maiden Erlegh weather station in Earley, Reading, has had 17.6mm of rain today, most of which fell this evening. http://maidenerleghschool.co.uk/community/maiden-erlegh-weather-station/

We have had several more heavy downpours this evening but none lasted more than 5 - 10 minutes but the rain was very intense. I drove back from Chippenham down the M4 today at lunchtime through a thunderstorm and within the space of a mile or so left torrential rain to be back in sunshine with a dry road. Interestingly the temperature in Chippenham when I left in the storm was 16C and was 23c when I got back to Reading in the sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow/thunderstorms

Nope, just bog standard rain tomorrow morning for you. Some gusty winds tomorrow afternoon around your island, but that's about as exciting as it gets unfortunetly.

Thought as much. Thanks for confirming though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Posted Image

I think this picture captures my day weather-wise perfectly.  Stood in the sunshine watching the thunder clouds pass by to the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Wow, what a day! I lost count of the number of thunder storms, it was endless, from mid morning through to late afternoon. Rain....I haven't seen rain like it since I was in Florida, it was crazily intense. I haven't got any technical stuff to measure it with but I can say since lunchtime yesterday, my wheel barrow has collected over 6 inches. The electric went off several times, the dogs were seriously unimpressed and I was regretting having a large, metal poled Gazebo plonked right outside the French windows, thankfully though screwed to the ground, otherwise it would probably have ended up somewhere near Glastonbury.

Insane day!

Posted

We had a short lived storm here yesterday evening, but only a few distant rumbles & a couple of flashes, we did get a spell of heavy rain though, giving around 5mm. Today has been bone dry & mostly sunny, so here's hoping tomorrow will deliver something more exciting.

Posted

I would not want to be travelling on the A34 Northbound in the next hour or so, judging by the impending supercell like structure heading that way. I think the heaviest of the rainfall will be as AJ pointed out, in the vicinity of Andover, Whitchurch, Basingstoke, Tadley area in the coming couple of hours. Time to batten down the hatches in that neck of the woods.

Posted Image1815BST 290713 NW v6 radar.jpg

Didn't look too shabby as it came over either;) Tilted updraft, dare i say displaying some supercellular characteristics?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

Well another damp squib today, rain but nothing heavy since around 7am, which seems to have stopped now, giving 6mm.

Posted

Looking at the skew t's the atmosphere looks stable for the next 2 days pretty much. (For this area anyway)

Posted

Looking at the skew t's the atmosphere looks stable for the next 2 days pretty much. (For this area anyway)

Yup.

Posted

Some superb photos from yesterday's storms.

Quite a change today with a more normal British 5 hours of steady rain/drizzle under very humid conditions clearing to sunshine and scattered showers now.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10578866.Chaos_engulfs_Swindon_as_weather_turns_nasty/

A couple more pictures of the flooding that the rain caused here in Swindon yesterday, from the Swindon Advertiser. Although the road in the first picture is prone to flooding, the road in the second picture didn't even flood during the floods in July 2007.

Haven't had much rain this morning though, and the sun is shining now. Temperature is 19.3C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I would not want to be travelling on the A34 Northbound in the next hour or so, judging by the impending supercell like structure heading that way. I think the heaviest of the rainfall will be as AJ pointed out, in the vicinity of Andover, Whitchurch, Basingstoke, Tadley area in the coming couple of hours. Time to batten down the hatches in that neck of the woods.

Posted Image1815BST 290713 NW v6 radar.jpg

Didn't look too shabby as it came over either;) Tilted updraft, dare i say displaying some supercellular characteristics?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Excellent captures Azazel. Whilst I don't know what constitutes a true Supercell, it certainly seemed worthy of being one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Some absolutely cracking photos from around the region for yesterday's storms...A big thumbs up to all contributors..........I'm going to create a thread in the convective/storm sub-forum for yesterday's storms and would be grateful if any of you would repost your photos in there so we can have a visual record of such an extraordinary day!

thanks in advance

AJ Posted Image

Posted

Tomorrow's forecast map;

post-12721-0-38309200-1375214218_thumb.j

Some heavy pulses of rain (key word being pulses, not continuous) in the red area. This includes Gloucestershire, North Wiltshire and Oxfordshire, perhaps down into the Bristol area although a bit of uncertainty here.

Some localised heavy showers tomorrow in the green area after nuisance drizzle and light rain during the morning. Heavy showers will be very localised but there is a signal for one or two potent showers over Cornwall and South Devon tomorrow afternoon.

Elsewhere, drizzle or sporadic light rain for most of Hampshire, Berkshire, Dorset, Somerset and north Devon. Nuisance values giving way to drier but still rather cloudy conditons tomorrow afternoon, although drizzle will prove difficult to fully extinguish.

Posted

Bit of a surprise this morning to see the main rainband cleared already.

Yesterday evening's forecasts showed the rain band hanging around here til early afternoon!

Still every cloud.......means our day out wont be spoiled by the rain, bar showers i guess.