Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern Regional Discussion Discussion 23rd July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

post-15744-0-26180900-1375122283_thumb.j

You can just about see the Mammatus to the right of the Cloud.

EDIT: No where near as good as yours slinky but seems we were looking at the same cloud?

Edited by Karl83

Posted

Can't believe another storm cell has followed exactly the same track s the previous one, saw some stunning lighting again and one very close explosion so a CG somewhere nearby! Though this time only a few drops of rain! Still rumbling away as it moves over the Plain.I only have 5mm in my gauge in Warminster.Does anybody in Westbury have an accurate gauge please? If so how much have you had this pm?

39mm so far..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

39mm so far..

2.0mm here. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow and storms

Torrential rain here in Arborfield near Reading for the last ten minutes with the odd rumble of thunder. We had some lightning about 45 minutes ago. Looks like storm cells pushing up from the south and south west.

Edited by Frosty1

Posted

Can't believe another storm cell has followed exactly the same track s the previous one, saw some stunning lighting again and one very close explosion so a CG somewhere nearby! Though this time only a few drops of rain! Still rumbling away as it moves over the Plain. 

This was the first one that passed north of Salisbury at around 5 o'clock.

I was walking away from it and wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't rumbling.

post-7340-0-78291700-1375123436_thumb.jp

Posted

Mine hit 32.9mm in one storm!! a total today is 48mm

39mm so far..

That is ridiculous! There must be a line literally just down the A350 / A362 between dry ground and potential floods!

2.0mm here. Posted Image

Even more crazy that I am only 4 miles away with just 5mm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

rumbling distant thunder again heard to my south from that large storm stretching from Bradford-upon-avon to Hungerford....If anything it looks like it's intensifying near its rear (western) flank...that would explain the audible thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Where's GTLTW? ..... That group of cells south west of us is getting very close... Have you looked outside? And my leak in my ceiling still isn't fixed....yikes...

Posted

rumbling distant thunder again heard to my south from that large storm stretching from Bradford-upon-avon to Hungerford....If anything it looks like it's intensifying near its rear (western) flank...that would explain the audible thunder

They've been back building all afternoon, I'm guessing the winds are converging along with moisture from the Bristol Channel and uplift near the Mendips/Salisbury Plain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

They've been back building all afternoon, I'm guessing the winds are converging along with moisture from the Bristol Channel and uplift near the Mendips/Salisbury Plain.

yep........thunder getting louder and more frequent now.....looks like the back end of this cell will pass very close

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I have'nt heard any thunder for a while now but I can still see a line of cumulus clouds trying to grow into storms.

That area to the northwest of me was certainly where the main action was today, I was hearing thunder from that location since as early as 10:30AM.

Posted

Proof, if proof be needed. source - xcweather.co.uk

post-7340-0-78288600-1375124957_thumb.jp

Posted

Thanks for that link John.

New cells forming now near Frome and Wells, wonder if there's a chance of them sparking off as the evening progresses and they move into areas affected earlier? They have already gone from nothing to having yellow on the radar colouring in 15 minutes.

Posted

There is some amazing cloud to my east looks like it's bubbling up nicely and a massive anvil over head.

Took this about 17:30

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Drip drip drip drip. Posted Image

Oh dear PB, not good news. I've recorded 12.2mm worth's of drip drip drips now I'm afraid to say.

A pretty sunset to boot, though, it has to be said.

And yet another peel of Thunder (25 plus from a couple of cells today). Only one or two strikes could be deemed as close by today, however.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

The weather station here: Posted Image

Surely this can't be right? I know it feels like it was about that, but that would be unbelievable!

That's absolutely insane rainfall amounts... Has that been confirmed or anything?

Posted

One bit of thunder one bit of lightning.. And torrential rain... I think my landlord is really going to regret not fixing the leak today... Alot worse and drips steaming through three areas. The wall and ceiling is saturated.

Oh dear PB, not good news. I've recorded 12.2mm worth's of drip drip drips now I'm afraid to say.A pretty sunset to boot, though, it has to be said.And yet another peel of Thunder (25 plus from a couple of cells today). Only one or two strikes could be deemed as close by today, however.

Yes the sky looked amazing ... A bright orange when it heaved down... Yes that 12 mm is in my living room! I should measure what is in the bucket!! Lol

Posted

What a day!, had 3 storms today one was more distant but last 2 were overhead, flooding are yard at work with constant thunder and lightning, best week it has been for storms in a long time in this region.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Greetings from the no storms bit of Dorset!  As Mumbles said earlier this evening, everything has gone round us today.  About five minutes of rain late afternoon, put about a teaspoon of rain in the gauge.  Only heard one rumble around 16.00.

Posted

A couple of pics from today, had a small amount of thunder this morn, 2mm in the rain gauge, I had these views most of today, stunning skyscape.

Posted Image

The above taken about 5 mins ago

The below taken lunchtime

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I thought I would include this summary from Martin Gibbs (aka Gibby from Radstock), as I whole heartedly agree with this and I feel much the same in that we will have further days like today where parts of our region get some spectacular thunderstorms and cloudscapes.

"In Summary it is shaping up to be that this August is a much more thundery period than years of late. The synoptic pattern shown on all models is ideal for shower and storm development either home grown or imported from the Continent as shallow Low pressure continues to engage the permanent hot fields of Europe over the next few weeks. As always there will be some places that will miss the showers and storms with dry and fine weather. Temperatures overall look like staying above average for much of the time".

Posted

I thought I would include this summary from Martin Gibbs (aka Gibby from Radstock), as I whole heartedly agree with this and I feel much the same in that we will have further days like today where parts of our region get some spectacular thunderstorms and cloudscapes."In Summary it is shaping up to be that this August is a much more thundery period than years of late. The synoptic pattern shown on all models is ideal for shower and storm development either home grown or imported from the Continent as shallow Low pressure continues to engage the permanent hot fields of Europe over the next few weeks. As always there will be some places that will miss the showers and storms with dry and fine weather. Temperatures overall look like staying above average for much of the time".

I do like the sound of that AWD. Those dealing with flooding and leaky roofs and ceilings will not.

Perhaps the European Monsoon season has started. In fact, if you were to Google it, AFAIK there is such a phenomena, maybe its shifted North with the Jetstream.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

What a day!, had 3 storms today one was more distant but last 2 were overhead, flooding are yard at work with constant thunder and lightning, best week it has been for storms in a long time in this region.

...and I was in work in a double glazed office, could see it all happening but was too far away to really experience it! Just 6 miles away. lol

Posted

There's torrential and there's torrential... It is bucketing down ATM again... Unbelievable...