Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 24/8/13 ------------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Well we received about 42mm with an additional 4mm overnight - and with the figure for Shoeburyness (High 50's) and looking at the archive radar charts I still feel the figure for around the Rayleigh area might be a bit excessive.

Other than that an incredible day of rain, anybody know when we last had in excess of 30mm+ in a day?

Posted

That's an Oregon. They're always inaccurate.

That's a pretty sweeping generalisation and also not true in all cases - my Oregon works fine and I know this because I have an official MO weather station a few miles from here and a guy who runs an online linked weather station with a Davis Vantage. The MO linked one is often significantly different from mine as that is on a cliff top location but the local guys data is very comparable to mine.

I think it comes down to where you place your gauge.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Just to make matters worse, a strong ENE wind as kicked in at Great Yarmouth. Maybe dragging in that 'hated' low cloud off the N Sea?Posted Image

Low level cloud yes, but it's the type you get around western coasts which lifts into standard cumulus inland, well broken with some sunshine.

Posted

Morning folks,

Many in this region still drying out, methinks. What a memorable day for some. I do try not to MetO bash, but SURELY they should have upgraded the warning to at least amber for the southern part of Essex yesterday afternoon?? (Or maybe they did, and I missed it? In which case, I apologise.)

Anyway, the rain started again overnight here, and continued into the first part of the morning. Garden has registered a total of 23mm over the last 24 hours. Not bad going for one day, but nothing like as impressive as some of the totals on the other side of the Thames Estuary.

Currently 17.9°, with the sun really getting through the cloud now. I hope it stays like this for all those needing to mop out today.

Overall I think the MetO and of course a number of forecasters on this and other weather websites called this pretty much spot on, with regards to the affected areas and the rainfall totals. 50mms was a figure I saw mentioned a number of times, including by the Met Office. It certainly seems some locations may have exceeded that but even so, I was impressed by the forecast accuracy.

Sun also trying to break through here now so the Notting Hill Carnival should be off to a reasonable start, imagine if it had started yesterday. Good grief.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Sun also trying to break through here now so the Notting Hill Carnival should be off to a reasonable start, imagine if it had started yesterday. Good grief.

I feel sorry for people who organise events and then get the sort of weather we had yesterday: For instance Floaty mentioned the one day only Colchester Free Music Festival, held yesterday...

My local pub is organising something over this whole weekend and the people seemed a bit despondent yesterday. Hopefully by tomorrow evening it'll all have been worth it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Anyone seen the storm over Italy.. Well.. Its bigger than the width of Italy Posted Image

Yep, that is a monster of a storm out there. Wonder what them people in the Naples area are thinking of their holiday Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Yep, that is a monster of a storm out there. Wonder what them people in the Naples area are thinking of their holiday Posted Image Posted Image

Had one of my best storm experiences in Sorrento, woke in the night, went onto the balcony and found myself in the middle of a storm cloud, no visibility, lightning flashes all around and vertical torrential rain, quite something. Hopefully the holiday makers can enjoy the spectacle as much as I did:)

• Like 1

Posted

Had one of my best storm experiences in Sorrento, woke in the night, went onto the balcony and found myself in the middle of a storm cloud, no visibility, lightning flashes all around and vertical torrential rain, quite something. Hopefully the holiday makers can enjoy the spectacle as much as I did:)

Ah I bet it was awesome, them storms are something else out there. I'm going to Ibiza for 2 weeks on the 4th September, so maybe I can witness something out there. 

One of the best times of the year for storms I think, as the Mediterranean convects all of the warmth absorbed through July and August into the atmosphere in September when cooler air filters down from the North. Can result in very severe flash flooding I hear, and the Spaniards name it as the 'cold drop' or in Spanish ('Gota Fria'). Same thing happens over much of Italy and Greece too. 

What I would do to be in Italy under that storm now though! I bet its biblical.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Holy Carp that rain last night!

I left the house about midnight and it was a little bit windy, but misty and rather humid. But within about 1hr the heavens opened, I could see on the radar a squall line had developed to my east from the southern north sea and pushed across the south east. It almost sounded like Hail at times as it really came down!

We escaped the day rain and had it at night instead :D

Posted

Napoli (Naples) webcam, you should see the lightning, saw a massive fork come down a second ago !! http://www.campaniameteo.it/streaming.php?id=790 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Horrible, medium-level cloud coming from the east...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

My weather page has helped many families prepare for that rain before they got flooded, I feel all warm inside. 

• Like 5

Posted

afternoon all

bit humid,warm ,broken cloud,back in the garden to day so all happpy .misses has gone to sw4 a clapham so a nice slow day for meee wooooooow.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I think it comes down to where you place your gauge.

I think your probably right there lottie Posted Image

I'm happy too, today I've managed to hang my washing on the line. It's the little things. Posted Image

I'm happy too, I've managed to spend loads of money this morning...as you say it's the little things Posted Image

Anyways the suns out here now so it looks like I will get that walk after all, it's dried up quite nicely here now !

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

Hi all

Just a quick update

Mon-thursday looks dry and pleasant for the moment.

Giving a good drying out after yesterday.

I will leave you with this

If we had yesterdays exact system mid winter we would need skis today:-)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

Hi all

Just a quick update

Mon-thursday looks dry and pleasant for the moment.

Giving a good drying out after yesterday.

I will leave you with this

If we had yesterdays exact system mid winter we would need skis today:-)

My thoughts exactly .... if only Posted Image

Thanks for the update John...fingers crossed for a dry day Thursday - it's my birthday and I'd really like to do spend most of it doing outdoorsy stuff Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Gorgeous sunny day in the end and an afternoon out by the lake which netted 3lbs of blackberries which are now several litres of blackberry brandy, rum and a large apple and blackberry crumble - om nom nom. So much juicy fruit on the trees and bushes this year and yesterdays rain has made them plumptious!

Edited by Coast
  • Like 4

Posted

My thoughts exactly .... if only Posted Image

Thanks for the update John...fingers crossed for a dry day Thursday - it's my birthday and I'd really like to do spend most of it doing outdoorsy stuff Posted Image

Oooh, my birthday Friday, we are almost birthday twins:) Sadly I have to go into work, putting the dampers on things a bit, especially the return down the M25 at 5.30. Fingers crossed Saturday is good for the party.

• Like 1

Posted

According to the radar abit of a streamer has established. think this part of essex will see some flooding after that lot has gone through

Well yesterday was quite an event for a narrow slither of south Essex from Southend, Hockley, Rayleigh and parts of Castle Point. My post yesterday was rather prophetic. The intense tropical rain just kept coming. People in Chelmsford can't understand what the fuss was about which just goes to show how localised these severe rainfall events can be!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Napoli (Naples) webcam, you should see the lightning, saw a massive fork come down a second ago !! http://www.campaniameteo.it/streaming.php?id=790 

Attraversiamo!Posted Image

Looks beautiful there now though...Posted Image Twinned nicely with Hastings atmPosted Image