Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

If that chart CC post actually happened in January it could be a rather dry month for many especially those in the west

Posted Image

Plenty of snow due to convective easterlys towards the east though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Plenty of snow due to convective easterlys towards the east though.

Probably similar to 2010 when we got bucket loads of snow from those easterlies don't know how much made it west of the pennines though?

Posted

Let's hope this Winter is filled with Bartlett highs, might be a bit quiet in here if that happens Posted Image , we can all enjoy the mildness without the shivering and sky high energy bills Posted Image

Just put an extra jumper on rather than turn the thermostat up

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Probably similar to 2010 when we got bucket loads of snow from those easterlies don't know how much made it west of the pennines though?

It had its moments lol. Nowt special here though in terms of snowfall. I'd be perfectly happy with a 5-10cm fall of snow followed by crisp zero or subzero days and crystal clear blue skies.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If I remember correctly wasn't the north sea warmer than average during that spell in 2010

Yes SS, I think it was; summer 2010, over much of the southeast third of England was warm and SW dominated. So cold air, the following winter, had a plenty of opportunity to draw energy from the North Sea...It's a stark contrast with the situation that developed last spring...Cold, dry air (0-2C) blowing over water at 2C will not produce much convection, other than that horrible graupelly rubbish that we had so much of...

One of my key hopes, for this winter, is that SSTs in the North Sea stay above average, until the first NE wind hits.Posted Image 

Posted

Yes SS, I think it was; summer 2010, over much of the southeast third of England was warm and SW dominated. So cold air, the following winter, had a plenty of opportunity to draw energy from the North Sea...It's a stark contrast with the situation that developed last spring...Cold, dry air (0-2C) blowing over water at 2C will not produce much convection, other than that horrible graupelly rubbish that we had so much of...

One of my key hopes, for this winter, is that SSTs in the North Sea stay above average, until the first NE wind hits.Posted Image 

I thought it was the spell in March was horrid awful grey muck of the north sea day after day and a bone chilling easterly wind

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

If your talking late November then about 6 inches in 2 and a half hours and plenty of other showers but places not a million miles from here got 2 foot.

Posted

I though it was the spell in March was horrid awful grey muck of the north sea day after day and a bone chilling easterly wind

I'd rather not have any of that this year, SS...Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

If your talking late November then about 6 inches in 2 and a half hours and plenty of other showers but places not a million miles from here got 2 foot.

Yep the late November and vast majority of December 2010 think that spell lasted around 5 or 6 weeks before it eased in late December

• Like 1

Posted

I'd rather not have any of that this year, SS...Posted Image

Same here hope we don't see that sort of spell again for a long time unfortunately the SSW occurred at the wrong time I find December can drag at times as you know the shortest day is just 3 weeks away but it takes ages to get there this March was a lot worse it dragged and just became monotonous

Posted

Yep the late November and vast majority of December 2010 think that spell lasted around 5 or 6 weeks before it eased in late December

Yes there was a brief milder spell as a high came in from the west before another go from the North as a stonking greeny high buit, the best northerly I have ever seen in terms of the neatness of how it evolved and the very low temps spilled south.

Posted

Yes there was a brief milder spell as a high came in from the west before another go from the North as a stonking greeny high buit, the best northerly I have ever seen in terms of the neatness of how it evolved and the very low temps spilled south.

Aye we had a milder spell in mid December 2010 from the 9th to 15th which enabled some of the snow to shift temps in that short lived milder spell were

5.5, 7.5, 8.1, 5.7, 5.3, 6.5, 8.7 

Then the cold returned before the cold eased at the end of December

29th 4.1c

30th 7.5c

31st 6.9c

During the January we got some fairly high temperatures for the time of year from the 12th to 16th we got

10.4, 13.4, 11.2, 12.4, 12.1 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Will never forget that winter SS, nearly 3ft level here and snowed in for 2.5 weeks until the lanes were cleared. If we had a Nov/Dec/2010 this year,  and another March blizzard where there were 16ft drifts in places here, I would be a very happy man.

• Like 1

Posted

Same here hope we don't see that sort of spell again for a long time unfortunately the SSW occurred at the wrong time I find December can drag at times as you know the shortest day is just 3 weeks away but it takes ages to get there this March was a lot worse it dragged and just became monotonous

I'll take a March like the previous one every year if it meant we was to get a Summer like this one.

Posted

I'll take a March like the previous one every year if it meant we was to get a Summer like this one.

In all honesty though its just about luck each season things fell into place this summer with low pressure anchored over Greenland where it should be which in turn let the jet stream move north

As with every season you need pressure to be right over Greenland

For any newbies on here

If you want a mild winter then its low pressure you want to see over Greenland

Posted Image

If its a cold winter you want then you need to see high pressure over Greenland often refereed to as northern blocking

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Will never forget that winter SS, nearly 3ft level here and snowed in for 2.5 weeks until the lanes were cleared. If we had a Nov/Dec/2010 this year,  and another March blizzard where there were 16ft drifts in places here, I would be a very happy man.

The 09'10 winter was best for us here in the west regards snow, but, as for drifts, will never forget driving up cairngorm mountain to the slopes and there being 15-20ft snow walls either side of the road. The result of digging the road out after a 3 day storm on the mountain. Epic!!

Posted

If that chart CC post actually happened in January it could be a rather dry month for many especially those in the west

Posted Image

That chart says wet to me for most parts unless I'm reading the scale wrong? The red says to me precipitation anomalies of over 100% which would be above average?

Posted

That chart says wet to me for most parts unless I'm reading the scale wrong? The red says to me precipitation anomalies of over 100% which would be above average?

Once again its changed from yesterday which had blues over the west

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Once again its changed from yesterday which had blues over the west

No surprises there then, SS...I wonder which one's will be ignored, when the retrofitting starts?Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

well i hope we get a winter to remembor and before any1 says its all good sitting in the house wishing for a harsh winter, i enjoy walking in the cold and snow. I don't mind paying heating bill if we get a good and snowy winter. March 2013 i did enjoy walking in the snow in longer daylight hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

well i hope we get a winter to remembor and before any1 says its all good sitting in the house wishing for a harsh winter, i enjoy walking in the cold and snow. I don't mind paying heating bill if we get a good and snowy winter. March 2013 i did enjoy walking in the snow in longer daylight hours.

as long as you can afford to pay those heating bills mind (just saying).

Posted

Or you could just not use the heating and just be cold, or put your coat on in the house, it surely cant be any colder inside than out and even people who don't like brutal weather still go out in it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I hate being cold indoors, and I will not put coats on indoors. I'm supposed to be comfortable in my own home.