Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/10/13 ------------>

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

I was working in London during the Burns Day storm in 1990 and trying to get home safely. I had to walk to several tube stations and the wind howling between the tops of the high buildings was very scary indeed. like some kind of giant hoover above my head. I can quite understand why no-one would want to work up there in that kind of wind!

All crane operations are stopped at fairly modest wind speeds. I don't have the exact figure to hand, but its a fairly frequent occurrence on our projects. Everything is risk assessed so works at height in cranes, exposed locations or whatever are controlled in high winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Mornin each. Its a tad windy in Ippy this morning.

But there is some patches of blue and the sun is trying to peep through.

I keep looking around the garden to see what needs to be tied down or stowed away.

Kite flying anyone? Posted Image

Morning K

Think you could tie a rope to your shed and use that as a kite.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Morning/night all whatever it is looks like operation nail it will have to take place in the rain today :(

• Like 1

Posted

Oh gosh, I haven't even been thinking about the A20, A2 and all the foreign HGV's that travel along them. I hope they have the sence not to bother traveling. After all dover ports will be shut anyway.

Morning all :)If the Dover Docks are shut then they should put operation stack into play shouldn't they? At least then the lorries would be stationary on the M20 waiting for it to reopen rather than trying to overtake each other on the motorway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Gutted that i'm going to be on holiday in Majorca when all this happens :( Guess I will have to keep an eye on the forum for pics and videos as well as watch some webcams whilst I am away.

Posted

We are now also as I type entering the "reliable" time frame... Yes 6 hours out things can and do change... but with all the models now coming onboard including the NAE it's fair to say.. that Monday, will be wet...Windy.. and at some point probably something to look back on and go WOW I would also like to note how I think global warming is playing a HUGE part on our weather now... This storm.. would be nowhere near as powerful or probs would not even occur would it be for the really warm air we have around us.. and warm seas... Plus no idea why the jet is so powerful but I am sure global warming has something to do with it.. But will our Government say that when they got a tree through the houses of Parliament?  Will they F!

I mean no disrespect when I say this surrey but clearly you are too young to remember the storm in 1987 and 1990 plus the numerous other gales we had in the 90's? Were they caused by man made global warming too? As far as I see it this is an autumn storm - a potentially strong storm yes, but still just an autumn storm that those in Scotland, the north of England, Wales and the south coast are used to have happening at times!
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunder ~ both together would be great !

I'm getting a bit confused. On here people are suggesting this 'storm' could be quite memorable but on severe weather discussion a few seem to be playing it down .

Obviously no one can be sure what's going to happen yet but surely something is ?

Quite breezy in whitstable today already

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

I was working in London during the Burns Day storm in 1990 and trying to get home safely. I had to walk to several tube stations and the wind howling between the tops of the high buildings was very scary indeed. like some kind of giant hoover above my head. I can quite understand why no-one would want to work up there in that kind of wind!

The Burns Day storm was the last time I found the wind scary.Had just left school, so was working at my first job.Got sent home because the roof was shaking!Being out in that was an experience, was very loud.Was the last time I actually felt like I was going to get blown face flat on the pavement, seeing people walking home, trying to be dignified without falling over was really funny!
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all. Been a while since I've posted on here. Takes a good storm to get me back apparently!

To be honest I'am quite concerned for myself. I work on Brighton Pier and have a 6am till 3pm shift on Monday. So I'll be quite exposed being 1/3 of a mile at sea!

Maybe I should say something to my boss? The last time we had strong winds was last November and some pieces of roofing got blown off. Forecast for much stronger winds on Monday than last November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Morning all. Been a while since I've posted on here. Takes a good storm to get me back apparently!To be honest I'am quite concerned for myself. I work on Brighton Pier and have a 6am till 3pm shift on Monday. So I'll be quite exposed being 1/3 of a mile at sea!Maybe I should say something to my boss? The last time we had strong winds was last November and some pieces of roofing got blown off. Forecast for much stronger winds on Monday than last November.

Hi Hell, just "nail yourself"to the pier, you'll be fine :-)
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

Morning all. Been a while since I've posted on here. Takes a good storm to get me back apparently!To be honest I'am quite concerned for myself. I work on Brighton Pier and have a 6am till 3pm shift on Monday. So I'll be quite exposed being 1/3 of a mile at sea!Maybe I should say something to my boss? The last time we had strong winds was last November and some pieces of roofing got blown off. Forecast for much stronger winds on Monday than last November.

I would be thinking the same thing too in your position.  Having been on the Palace Pier in strong winds which ripped off part of the roofing on the outside seating area in the middle section, which landed about 2 foot from my feet (piece about 2 metres long!) I would be inclined to tell your boss.  Noble aren't the best at keeping the pier in tip top shape... But, hell, you could get some amazing pictures ;-) The argus is asking for everyone to become their personal photogs for the day (For free of course) !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

They will probably close the pier, I would have thought. They had to close the pier here for the latest bit of wind as the water was breaking over the top.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all,

Well we are going into weather watch frenzy due to the stormy weather heading our way Posted Image

The Media has been hyping it up as all week as a “Killer Megastorm" etc....I don't know if the Armageddon predictions will be accurate (hopefully not) or even if it will be as bad as 1987 we really won't know that until it gets here but I can't believe some people are playing this down. Whatever happens we are certainly going to experience some very strong winds that will take some trees out. Keep an eye on large branches that hang over your house and due to the trees still being in leaf and the ground at a high saturation point keep an eye out for heaving of the ground around the roots that could indicate an imminent falling of a tree. If you have a trampoline in your garden or something else like garden furniture bins etc that could take off then tie it to a sturdy object.

If you are planning a journey on Monday morning then think about postponing it until lunchtime. If you're going away for half term then wait a while to check if the storm does any damage to your roof or ask a neighbour to pop in and look. The winds should start to lessen around 2pm on Monday (at the moment we think they will peak around 2-10am). So don’t be taking your kids or dogs out for walks in the woods or going out on a boat etc. If you have some outdoor activity planned on Monday make it after lunch. It may not be as bad as we fear but forewarned is forearmed, don’t panic just be sensible and stay safe.  

Meantime have a lovely weekend Posted Image

• Like 9

Posted

Well this light rain/drizzle is still continuing here, just when it appears to dry up and the cloud start to break it all comes back again, and I cannot put of going out for much longer, oh well, as it is quite warm I really wanted to try and avoid taking a coat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Not a bad day here so far. Sunny spells and mild :)

I went for look in the potential storm thread and soon came back as it appears to be going in the same direction as the model thread when it's about to snow.  i think I will wait for the next issue of the warnings from the met office whic are due very soon.

Just though we have an extra hour longer to wait for the storm thanks to BSM ending tonight.

• Like 4

Posted

Morning all,

Well we are going into weather watch frenzy due to the stormy weather heading our way Posted Image

The Media has been hyping it up as all week as a “Killer Megastorm" etc....I don't know if the Armageddon predictions will be accurate (hopefully not) or even if it will be as bad as 1987 we really won't know that until it gets here but I can't believe some people are playing this down. Whatever happens we are certainly going to experience some very strong winds that will take some trees out. Keep an eye on large branches that hang over your house and due to the trees still being in leaf and the ground at a high saturation point keep an eye out for heaving of the ground around the roots that could indicate an imminent falling of a tree. If you have a trampoline in your garden or something else like garden furniture bins etc that could take off then tie it to a sturdy object.

If you are planning a journey on Monday morning then think about postponing it until lunchtime. If you're going away for half term then wait a while to check if the storm does any damage to your roof or ask a neighbour to pop in and look. The winds should start to lessen around 2pm on Monday (at the moment we think they will peak around 2-10am). So don’t be taking your kids or dogs out for walks in the woods or going out on a boat etc. If you have some outdoor activity planned on Monday make it after lunch. It may not be as bad as we fear but forewarned is forearmed, don’t panic just be sensible and stay safe.  

Meantime have a lovely weekend Posted Image

Someone I know is off on their half term holiday Monday morning, taking his family down to somerset, did advise he to delay it, whether or not he does is their choice.  Think the "storm" has been blown out of proportion (no pun intended) a bit, like you say be cautious and making small preperations is sensible rather than all out panic ( for example I am going out shopping and that is not panic buying I am just doing my normal weekly shop, just hope they have left something for me otherwise no sarnies for work next week).

Posted

In reply to Alixzandra (sorry, not sure how to quote posts when using phone), was the incident you're referring to happen in November of last year? As that's exactly what happened just outside the bar I work in.

Was pretty intense. Seeing some pretty sturdy and heavy beer 'garden' furniture being flung around was scary. The pods on the Brighton eye were at a completely different angle.

It takes a lot to for them to close the pier though. Been there nearly 4 years and experienced some rough conditions in that time!

Posted

I went for look in the potential storm thread and soon came back as it appears to be going in the same direction as the model thread when it's about to snow.  i think I will wait for the next issue of the warnings from the met office whic are due very soon.

Just though we have an extra hour longer to wait for the storm thanks to BSM ending tonight.

nothing like a bit of weather to stir up a bit of reasoned opinion and sensible debate Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

There is a lot of discussion about whether or not this event will be as bad as we got in 1987. Here are facts about that one.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-depth/1987-great-storm/fact-file

So what do we think folks ?

Similar winds speeds would mean similar effects, right?

Posted

There is a lot of discussion about whether or not this event will be as bad as we got in 1987. Here are facts about that one.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-depth/1987-great-storm/fact-file

So what do we think folks ?

Similar winds speeds would mean similar effects, right?

At the moment my thoughts are it will not be as bad as 87, but not far off it, the other thing is in 87 people were just not prepared for what we got, lessons have been learnt since and we have been better warned of what to expect, think it best to take the worst case scenario and that way anything better is a good thing IMHO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Yep. Saw them on M11 and M1 too.