Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/10/13 ------------>

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Yes, it was actually almost a whole weekend of severe gales which came to climax with the Monday morning cold front squall. I remember around 7.30am it went pitch dark once again after the brief dawn light, and all hell let go outside. It was really scary!  I sat waiting for it to pass before I attempted to leave for work. Thankfully there was no damage at home, or to my car outside, but the drive to work was chaotic and took ages with huge branches down all over the place and some felled trees, plus all sorts blown over everywhere. There were police/ambulance sirens going off contintually too.  There was no power when I arrived at work either, so little work was possible on arrival.

Yes, I'd actually remembered the wrong year.  Posted Image The thought process being, 'surely my friend's daughter isn't that old!' Posted Image

And I'd moved house between 2000 and 2002. Still two strong storms in a two year period at roughly the same dates is pretty fluky.

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Ewww no, mine will be ticked away safely on Sunday evening if the prospects don't improve.

yes i must admit I have gone off eating chicken since keeping them, who ever knew chickens could have personalities!? im hoping they will be secure enough, I don't think my conservatory stands a chance Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Just sorting out the first aid kit and heading out to buy a couple of torches

Posted

Good afternoon all.

Lovely sunny day here today, but the calm before the storm indeed.

Will be sorting out the back garden today and storing stuff in the shed. (As long as the shed doesn't get battered of course) Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Wind for London & South East England :

Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Kent, Medway, Reading, Slough, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth & Southampton.

Yellow Alert of Wind for East of England :

Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Peterborough, Bedford, Central Bedfordshire, Suffolk, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Southend-on-Sea & Thurrock.

A very intense low pressure system is forecast to run northeastwards across the country early on Monday, bringing the potential for an exceptionally windy spell of weather for southern parts of the UK. At the same time, persistent, heavy rain could cause some surface water flooding. 

At this early stage there is uncertainty about the timing, intensity and track of the low. However, the public should be prepared for the risk of falling trees as well as damage to buildings and other structures, bringing disruption to transport and power supplies.

Issued at:

1038 on Thu 24 Oct 2013

Valid from:

0005 on Mon 28 Oct 2013

Valid to:

2100 on Mon 28 Oct 2013

A strong, high-level jet is expected to engage warm low level air to give rise to a rapidly moving low pressure system later on Sunday. This is expected to run northeastwards, probably across England and Wales, with very strong winds on its southern and western flanks. There is the potential for gusts of over 80 mph, especially on exposed coasts, both in southwesterly winds ahead of the low and west to northwesterly winds behind it.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=uk&from=rss&sn=4F851A6A-E90A-BC1F-1C94-E9D4A0C41A0C_1_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=138291840

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

A beaut day today....Certainly a bit of a chill in the air, but the way some people dress...ive seen scarfs, wooly hats, and even golves!!! what are these people going to do when its actually cold??

Also, I have to ask....Im actually looking forward to something big on Monday. I would love nothing more than massive winds and rain!!! (with the caveat that everyone is safe etc)..

Does that make me a freak?

• Like 4

Posted

Yes

Like a few of us........

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

A beaut day today....Certainly a bit of a chill in the air, but the way some people dress...ive seen scarfs, wooly hats, and even golves!!! what are these people going to do when its actually cold??

Also, I have to ask....Im actually looking forward to something big on Monday. I would love nothing more than massive winds and rain!!! (with the caveat that everyone is safe etc)..

yes... join the club Posted Image

Edited by hernebaylooby
  • Like 4

Posted

sorry about that, it'll be the beans i had last night...

hello everyone Posted Image

looks like walking the pooch will be fun this weekend.

At least with a pooch the size of yours he's not going to blow away....

post-10773-0-84397600-1382624505_thumb.j

..'Toto' and I could have a problem though Posted Image

very pleasant afternoon here in C London, sunny and about 17C

'noon all Posted Image

Very pleasant here too....at the moment Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne3rDk1XM5M

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 6

Posted

Wind has blown most of the rubbish away and it's quite sunny now, but annoying as it's so low in the sky at this time of year, I'm struggling to see the monitor.

afternoon mate ,yes i hate that got a bit of that at the mo ,lolol but as i say that the cloud levels are buliding again trust mePosted Image .

ok back to the weather left house at  7.30 am cool and a bit crips on the way out .felt quiet mild  as the morning went broken cloud and sunshine on and off,cooled off quickly on the way home at 2.30.weatherwise i ll take todayPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon fellow weatherners

Bit of a cool and damp (in the car) start just ofter six this morning, seems far better now, sunny with some cloud, dry and a balmy 15.4oC, weekend is looking so so at the moment, think it will be mainly me stopping in apart from a small bit of shopping and a visit to my parents at some point between Sat and Sun. 

Hoping to get the time to snap some Autumn colours in the local park before the "storm" whips all the leaves (and trees) away, talking of which, am I the only one not really looking forward to this potential storm?  Hoping it is not a repeat of '87.

• Like 2

Posted

This is starting to worry me, just checked batteries in torches

Just remembering those famous (but thankfully not last) words of Mr Fish's .."well, don't worry, there isn't going to be a hurricane, but having said that, actually, the weather will become very windy, but most of the strong winds, incidentally, will be down over Spain and across into France"

Mmm, it couldn't happen again though could it ?  ...according to the Mirror newspaper it could....

UK weather: Worst storms for 26 YEARS forecast with 90mph winds set to batter Britain

As thousands of families prepare for the beginning of half term, huge areas could be besieged with the worst conditions in more than two decades

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-worst-storms-1987-2488022

(If I'm going to get 'battered' could I have a ickle bit of fish and some chippies with mine please Posted Image )

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 2

Posted

Bit of a cool and damp (in the car) start just ofter six this morning

Same down here Jax, definitely more seasonal!

• Like 1

Posted

Same down here Jax, definitely more seasonal!

Certainly is, I am just thinking about spending 10 minutes or so putting a thin soap solution onto the inside car windows

• Like 1

Posted

Certainly is, I am just thinking about spending 10 minutes or so putting a thin soap solution onto the inside car windows

What does that do out of interest?A cloudy morning here, up to 16.1c late morning. Now 13.8c and sunny :)

Posted

What does that do out of interest?

Makes your hands lovely and soft......

Posted Image

Posted

What does that do out of interest?

A cloudy morning here, up to 16.1c late morning. Now 13.8c and sunny Posted Image

It is a simple trick that I use in the bathroom if the mirror steams over, just lightly rub a wet hand over a bar of soap for example and wipe it across the mirror surface, it will for a while stop the steam condensating again so you can see what you are doing.

• Like 1

Posted

Just remembering those famous (but thankfully not last) words of Mr Fish's .."well, don't worry, there isn't going to be a hurricane, but having said that, actually, the weather will become very windy, but most of the strong winds, incidentally, will be down over Spain and across into France"

Mmm, it couldn't happen again though could it ?  ...according to the Mirror newspaper it could....

UK weather: Worst storms for 26 YEARS forecast with 90mph winds set to batter Britain

As thousands of families prepare for the beginning of half term, huge areas could be besieged with the worst conditions in more than two decades

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-worst-storms-1987-2488022

(If I'm going to get 'battered' could I have a ickle bit of fish and some chippies with mine please Posted Image )

The last time we got a battering Mr Fish was involved ;)

• Like 1

Posted

The last time we got a battering Mr Fish was involved Posted Image

Were you 'around here' back then C?

Posted

Right, back later as it is cooling down outthere now and want to sort the car windows out.

Posted

Were you 'around here' back then C?

Yes I had just moved here, although Mum's childhood 'neighbour' was the one and only Mr Fish, when she lived in Old Town.

Edited by Callie
  • Like 3