Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 28/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

+ 4 people dead, I think that's enough of a storm surely?

Oh really thats a ridiculous statement - if we had 2 cms of snow and some ice , there would probably be 4 people killed on the roads due to the conditions , but then its not caused by a storm so conveniently forgotten.

What appears to be a consensus on here then is that if 1 death occurs due to abnormal weather conditions then nobody should enjoy it - crazy

Edited by cobbett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Apparently there are nearly 7,000 properties without power in Essex still. Posted Image

Will stay out of the debate, re windstorms. I like seeing the raw power, but also fear the destructiveness.

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I agree but 'how much is too much' I guess is perspective, in some places 15/20cm is a light dusting by their standards. Places in the US get over 100+ inches a year (I am not too sure about other places around the globe but this is just an example), it’s the same with any type of weather really. Even in the UK 15cm of snow 'can' causes’ chaos, the people that tend to die (most of the time) in adverse weather are people who do not take the proper precautions. James Spann summed it up really well, he said that the people who are interested in weather are the ones that survive and the ones that arn't are the ones that are killed. I think it’s a case of awareness, if you take the proper precautions why can't you enjoy the extreme weather? It's not like you can change the outcome, so why not? I cannot hold myself responsible for something I can't change but I can make sure I am as safe as possible and so should other people. The only problem is how do you get to those people who may not pay attention to weather warnings or who take unnecessary risks? That includes companies, making sure they have infrastructure in place to cope.

Fun isn't necessarily in the equation for me it’s more about how belittling the earth can be and how humbling such raw power is.

I think wrt weather enthusiasm/interest/excitement it is simply a case of being careful for what you wish/hope for, irrespective of the fact that such outcomes are out of human control in that sense. But indeed, rightly or wrongly, that will vary from one person to another.

Where is the line in the sand drawn between weather enthusiast hopes and wishes and personal risk and responsibility? There is no single answer to that as people will always have very different circumstances, responsibilities and risk thresholds - and so attitudes and opinions will vary accordingly to these.

As you rightly say, this will also be greatly influenced from a macro global geographical perspective and therefore ones attitudes will be forced to adjust according to the degree of risk that the weather may bring to their locality in the country of the world they live in.

• Like 1

Posted

Oh really thats a ridiculous statement - if we had 2 cms of snow and some ice , there would be 4 people killed on the roads due to the conditions , but then its not caused by a storm so conveniently forgotten

You think it's ridiculous for the families that lost those 4 people then? You think they 'enjoyed' the storm or wanted more? I think you need to get things in perspective and just because you didn't get trees falling onto your particular house or location it doesn't mean it didn't affect others to a greater or lesser extent. The worst kind of IMBY attitude there and whilst we all enjoy the weather, I can't see many revelling in the destructive nature of it?

Additionally when we have had snow, ice or any other conditions where loss of life has occurred, I don't see anybody 'conveniently' forgetting about it?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

*sigh*

I give up what is it with people wishing for destructive weather. Yes places like the US get hurricanes and snow storms but in this part of the world especially in our little corner events like that are pretty rare.

I'm currently sitting in my lounge looking at a tree that is leaning very precariously right next to the power line. IF and I mean a big IF Sunday pans out like it is forecast at the moment I am concerned that they will fall. Why would anybody wish to have that happen.

Nobody wants trees to land on power lines or people to die, you are responsible for your own safety why not call up your local council and see if they will come out and either trim the tree back or remove it completely. Even call up your electricity company and see what they can do. If people took action when they saw something there probably wouldn’t be as many accidents and disruption during these events. 

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted

Nobody wants trees to land on power lines or people to die, you are responsible for your own safety why not call up your local council and see if they will come out and either trim the tree back or remove it completely. People who sit there and watch, yet do nothing really annoy me, do not be that person! Even call up your electricity company and see what they can do. If people took action when they saw something there probably wouldn’t be as many accidents and disruption during these events. 

You are kidding right?! If it aint broke they aint gonna fix it.

• Like 1

Posted

You think it's ridiculous for the families that lost those 4 people then? You think they 'enjoyed' the storm or wanted more? I think you need to get things in perspective and just because you didn't get trees falling onto your particular house or location it doesn't mean it didn't affect others to a greater or lesser extent. The worst kind of IMBY attitude there and whilst we all enjoy the weather, I can't see many revelling in the destructive nature of it?

Additionally when we have had snow, ice or any other conditions where loss of life has occurred, I don't see anybody 'conveniently' forgetting about it?

My point was though that lots of guys on these forums look forward to some snow and freezing weather and for some reason this is ok - if we take your point literally then we shouldn't be craving for this weather or any type of extreme weather to arrive as loss of life will undoubtably occur. Thats fine but not what the majority I would guess come on to these forums for

Posted

Oh really thats a ridiculous statement - if we had 2 cms of snow and some ice , there would probably be 4 people killed on the roads due to the conditions , but then its not caused by a storm so conveniently forgotten.

What appears to be a consensus on here then is that if 1 death occurs due to abnormal weather conditions then nobody should enjoy it - crazy

Why do you think 2 cm would be enough to kill people???? First one to die was in a static caravan, second one to die was hit by a falling tree and the other 2 died due to falling tree rupturing a gas main. 3 out of 4 unavoidable!!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

You are kidding right?! If it aint broke they aint gonna fix it.

Whats the harm in trying though?My local council regularly cut the grass, trim the bushes and trim the trees back, if there is a tree that is threaterning to fall they will either trim it back or remove it completly we have had several trees removed from my area because they used to block the drains with the fallen leaves, causing flooding.Btw I would just like to let everyone know that I mean no offence to anybody and I am sorry in advance if you feel that way I am just trying to add to this debate.

• Like 3

Posted

Why do you think 2 cm would be enough to kill people???? First one to die was in a static caravan, second one to die was hit by a falling tree and the other 2 died due to falling tree rupturing a gas main. 3 out of 4 unavoidable!!!!

I've seen plenty of car crashes caused by snow and ice

Guest bjaykent

Probably because its more exciting than the usual banal weather we normally get. Severe blizzards will produce the same risks but I reckon a large majority of posters are desperate for that kind of weather. Plus there is absolutely nothing we can do about the weather so if it comes let those who enjoy it, just enjoy it - no problem for me

I’m not certain I would ever call our weather banal, I think we get a good range of weather throughout the year, banal to me would be living near to equator with little change in day length, temperature or seasons.

Certainly we have no control over nature, but extreme weather of any type is not something I will wish for as it will inevitably lead to the loss of innocent lives.

But it is a free country and you are entitled to your view as are those that don't agree with you.Posted Image

Edited by bjaykent
  • Like 3

Posted

My point was though that lots of guys on these forums look forward to some snow and freezing weather and for some reason this is ok - if we take your point literally then we shouldn't be craving for this weather or any type of extreme weather to arrive as loss of life will undoubtably occur. Thats fine but not what the majority I would guess come on to these forums for

The majority come on here to chat about weather as surrey says to banter and laugh not argue!!! we all love snow and cold extremes and heat. but this is one of the friendliest group among here

• Like 2

Posted

Sunday morning, latest from MetO 5 day:

Looks like Sussex (and Eastbourne in particular) would be in for the brunt of it, even if it isn't thankfully as potent as Monday's storm.

I think I should go into predicting bad weather.....every time I have a fishing competition the weather turns nastyPosted Image Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

*sigh*I give up what is it with people wishing for destructive weather. Yes places like the US get hurricanes and snow storms but in this part of the world especially in our little corner events like that are pretty rare. I'm currently sitting in my lounge looking at a tree that is leaning very precariously right next to the power line. IF and I mean a big IF Sunday pans out like it is forecast at the moment I am concerned that they will fall. Why would anybody wish to have that happen.

Exactly.A lot of people in vast regions of the US face extreme weather risks of various kinds by nature of the geographical position they live in - with warm tropical seas to the south and west (Gulf Of Mexico and Pacific Ocean)and the polar Canadian arctic to the north. They can't do anything about the weather that is produced because of these factors - but that sure doesn't mean that they hope for all its potentially devastating consequences as an accepted price for simply enjoying the excitement of it..

Posted

The majority come on here to chat about weather as surrey says to banter and laugh not argue!!! we all love snow and cold extremes and heat. but this is one of the friendliest group among here

Fair point Posted Image I'll retire from the stage !

Posted

met office warning for rain,

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=se

I think there might be another for winds for early Sunday

Posted

People, can we set up an argument thread? as I dont want to come onto my local thread and see people arguing over the weather.. By all means express an opinion but do it else where? We are a nice bunch of people!

As far as I can see it is a civilised intelligent conversation over a very relevant topic. Its an exchange of different opinions and not an argument. People are bound to express their differences and not share the same views. But there are no personal remarks/insults involved and Mesoscale (just f.e) who has a different opinion to me has illustrated this very well, inclusing his reply to Jules71.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Okay folks a lot of emotion is creeping into the thread, understandably we all have different opinions but a few posts are starting to drift away from a happy weather and region based discussion so can we nip this in the bud please before it turns nasty - thanks Posted Image 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I think it's gradually resolving itself now Ali. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I think it's gradually resolving itself now Ali. Posted Image

Good, I'm going out for my flu jab soon...and to stock up with Mulled wine Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Okay folks a lot of emotion is creeping into the thread, understandably we all have different opinions but a few posts are starting to drift away from a happy weather and region based discussion so can we nip this in the bud please before it turns nasty - thanks Posted Image 

I can't see any nastiness arriving - but ok, we'll return to talking about the birds, bees and cigarette trees Posted Image

So therefore, its midday already and quite sunny outside Nice change from what we have seen Posted Image

• Like 1