Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 28/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Morning all,

My first car scrape of the season. YAY, Winter is coming, the geese are getting fat, please put a penny in the old mans hat, if you havent got a penny, a half penny will do, if you havent got a half penny, then god bless you!!!

sorry about that Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning all :)

Off to Chatteris is Cambridgeshire in a while. Lovely day if rather chilly. 

Oh dear people are desperately trying to find some Hurricane force winds on the output today, nothing really showing except straw clutching. 

To think I find this bad at the moment, goodness knows what the hunt for cold will be like Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Good morning

No frost for me, but then I didn't expect one yet as on the coast.

I wonder if the met office will put a yellow wind warning out today for Sunday?

Posted

Good morningI wonder if the met office will put a yellow wind warning out today for Sunday?

Morning!

I'd imagine it might be down to the wire on Sunday's one, as there seems to be less model agreement this time around. On current data I'm going for a slight miss for most of us with gusty winds on our South coast but most action over in France. Friday into Saturday will firm it up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Morning!

I'd imagine it might be down to the wire on Sunday's one, as there seems to be less model agreement this time around. On current data I'm going for a slight miss for most of us with gusty winds on our South coast but most action over in France. Friday into Saturday will firm it up.

Morning everyone, I will say morning now even though I have been up 4 hours already.The last thing we need is another wind storm, as I am sure some trees would have been weakened by Sundays storm which could exacerbate the damage of this low pressure system even if the winds arn't as strong in comparison..Someone stick the kettle on I need something to warm my hands, they are freezing!!

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted

Morning all

A beautiful morning in North Pembs, sunny, chilly, no wind.  Just been, with youngest, painting the front door - pillar box red.  Should be touch dry before the rain arrives!

Have a  good day all.

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Morning everyone! A beautiful crisp start to the day here. Really chilly overnight. Touch of frost here this morning. Neighbours had to scrape their cars . Temp is 3.5 at present. Hope this is the start of some crisp autumnal days to come (although having looked at the charts for the next few days I think that is wishful thinking on my part!)

Keeping fingers crossed that John's lovely ramp charts come off!

Hope everyone enjoys the sunshine whilst it lasts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Nippy this morning! Glad I had the boiler on timer when we got up. No frost here either, but as a bonus I did see a shooting star last night, the sky was amazingly clear.

For the foodies, there is a dedicated Netweather recipe thread in the lounge if anyone wants to add to it..

Looking at the weekend with interest, hoping it's not a complete washout for My mum's birthday fireworks :(

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 4

Posted

Morning All,

No frost this morning, but plenty of dew.  Hopefully it will stay dry between now and Saturday night as I don't want to be wading through mud at our local fireworks display Saturday night! Posted Image

• Like 3

Guest bjaykent

Nippy this morning! Glad I had the boiler on timer when we got up. No frost here either, but as a bonus I did see a shooting star last night, the sky was amazingly clear.

For the foodies, there is a dedicated Netweather recipe thread in the lounge if anyone wants to add to it..

Looking at the weekend with interest, hoping it's not a complete washout for My mum's birthday fireworks Posted Image

Have a good day everyone!

I saw a good shooting star last night as well, very bright with a nice trail behind it, north east to south west, lasted several seconds, wonder if it was the same one, don't think it was that late in the evening?  Certainly was very clear last night.Posted Image  The Leonid meteor shower is due 16th November, hoping for a clear frosty night, although I think the moon is going to affect it this yearPosted Image !

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Morning all Posted Image

Off to Chatteris is Cambridgeshire in a while. Lovely day if rather chilly. 

Oh dear people are desperately trying to find some Hurricane force winds on the output today, nothing really showing except straw clutching. 

To think I find this bad at the moment, goodness knows what the hunt for cold will be like Posted Image

Other than the obvious reason for being glad to see the back of that storm the other day, there is a second albeit much more superficial reason for being glad that no further exceptionally windy weather is expected and that is the dross that gets posted on the dedicated threads set-up for these things. Maybe it was also unfortunate that the storm co-incided with the start of half term and therefore all the little darlings being off school were able to come online and post their spam...Posted Image

Why people are looking out for damaging winds and further storms that simply threaten days without electricity, risk to safety, loss of trees and some crushed cars etc etc I have not the slightest idea why.

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 4

Guest bjaykent

Other than the obvious reason for being glad to see the back of that storm the other day, there is a second albeit much more superficial reason for being glad that no further exceptionally windy weather is expected and that is the dross that gets posted on the dedictated threads set-up for these things. Maybe it was also unfortunate that the storm co-incided with the start of half term and therefore all the little darlings being off school were able to come online and post their spam...Posted Image

Why people are looking out for damaging winds and further storms that simply threaten days without electricity, risk to safety, loss of trees and some crushed cars etc etc I have not the slightest idea why.

Absolutely agree, no wind for me thank you very much, was delighted to see a touch of ground frost this morning though. Come on winter!Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Sunday morning, latest from MetO 5 day:

post-6667-0-75379400-1383128049_thumb.pn

Looks like Sussex (and Eastbourne in particular) would be in for the brunt of it, even if it isn't thankfully as potent as Monday's storm.

Posted

Other than the obvious reason for being glad to see the back of that storm the other day, there is a second albeit much more superficial reason for being glad that no further exceptionally windy weather is expected and that is the dross that gets posted on the dedicated threads set-up for these things. Maybe it was also unfortunate that the storm co-incided with the start of half term and therefore all the little darlings being off school were able to come online and post their spam...Posted Image

Probably because its more exciting than the usual banal weather we normally get. Severe blizzards will produce the same risks but I reckon a large majority of posters are desperate for that kind of weather. Plus there is absolutely nothing we can do about the weather so if it comes let those who enjoy it, just enjoy it - no problem for me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Probably because its more exciting than the usual banal weather we normally get. Severe blizzards will produce the same risks but I reckon a large majority of posters are desperate for that kind of weather. Plus there is absolutely nothing we can do about the weather so if it comes let those who enjoy it, just enjoy it - no problem for me

I adore snow more than any other type of weather, but as far as I am concerned the same principle applies in terms of "how much" before it becomes disruptive in the same way as wind, thunderstorms etc. Purely to illustrate my point, I am quite happy with 15 to 20cms of snow from showers off the North Sea and then some hard frosts that keeps it with sunshine and a pause in the weather afterwards that allows the roads to be cleared and people to be able to get on with day to life whilst still carrying on enjoying the fun and beauty of the snow.But larger amounts than this with (f.e) a full on gale that cripples the system, leaves people without power, and then is followed by a rapid thaw and floods and further causes disruption is no fun and beyond simply being a 'weather enthusiast' This is simply an illustration of the point - there are various permutations of the same thing. Its only 'fun and interesting' as long as it doesn't interfere with everyday life. What is the excitement and fun in that?Therefore speaking for myself, then severe blizzards are not necessarily what I am craving or 'desparate for' Of course no-one can control the weather, but that is actually not the point that is being made here. Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I adore snow more than any other type of weather, but as far as I am concerned the same principle applies in terms of "how much" before it becomes disruptive in the same way as wind, thunderstorms etc. Purely to illustrate my point, I am quite happy with 15 to 20cms of snow from showers off the North Sea and then some hard frosts that keeps it with sunshine and a pause in the weather afterwards that allows the roads to be cleared and people to be able to get on with day to life whilst still carrying on enjoying the fun and beauty of the snow.

But larger amounts than this with (f.e) a full on gale that cripples the system, leaves people without power, and then is followed by a rapid thaw and floods and further causes disruption is no fun and beyond simply being a 'weather enthusiast' This is simply an illustration of the point - there are various permutations of the same thing. Its only 'fun and interesting' as long as it doesn't interfere with everyday life. What is the fun in that?

Therefore speaking for myself, then severe blizzards are not necessarily what I am craving or 'desparate for' Of course no-one can control the weather, but that is actually not the point that is being made here.

I agree but 'how much is too much' I guess is perspective, in some places 15/20cm is a light dusting by their standards. Places in the US get over 100+ inches a year (I am not too sure about other places around the globe but this is just an example), it’s the same with any type of weather really. Even in the UK 15cm of snow 'can' causes’ chaos, the people that tend to die (most of the time) in adverse weather are people who do not take the proper precautions. James Spann summed it up really well, he said that the people who are interested in weather are the ones that survive and the ones that arn't are the ones that are killed. I think it’s a case of awareness, if you take the proper precautions why can't you enjoy the extreme weather? It's not like you can change the outcome, so why not? I cannot hold myself responsible for something I can't change but I can make sure I am as safe as possible and so should other people. The only problem is how do you get to those people who may not pay attention to weather warnings or who take unnecessary risks? That includes companies, making sure they have infrastructure in place to cope.

Fun isn't necessarily in the equation for me it’s more about how belittling the earth can be and how humbling such raw power is.

• Like 3

Posted

Not again Posted Image Not as bad as Monday but 40-50mph gusting to 55-65mph 

Animated through Sunday into Monday:

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England :

Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, West Berkshire, Bracknell Forest, Greater London, Hampshire, Reading, Slough, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham, Surrey, Kent, Medway, Southampton, West Sussex, East Sussex, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth & Brighton and Hove

Yellow Alert of Rain for East of England :

Hertfordshire, Essex, Suffolk, Southend-on-Sea & Thurrock 

A spell of heavy rain is expected to affect southern parts of England during Friday and early Saturday. The public should be aware of the possibility of localised flooding and disruption to transport.

Issued at:

1054 on Wed 30 Oct 2013

Valid from:

1200 on Fri 1 Nov 2013

Valid to:

0600 on Sat 2 Nov 2013

An area of low pressure currently developing over the Atlantic Ocean is likely to track close to or across southern England later Friday and early Saturday, bringing with it a spell of wet weather.

Rain is expected to be the main hazard associated with this depression, 15 to 30 mm rain likely quite widely (locally 40 mm) in the area marked yellow in the Alert. English Channel coastal areas will also be windy for a time with gales and gusts up to 60 miles an hour. Further inland, wind speeds are expected to be much lower.

Further north a separate zone of rain is expected over parts of North Wales and southern parts of northern England. Being more localised in nature there is, as yet, insufficient confidence in the location of this rain to warrant an Alert.

Large waves generated by this depression, and a subsequent depression crossing the UK this weekend, combined with increasing tidal heights lead to an increased risk of coastal flooding along the English Channel coast this weekend, especially in Dorset.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=8029F46E-15F5-A797-7AED-08DFDC041F3B_1_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1383350400

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 1

Posted

I adore snow more than any other type of weather, but as far as I am concerned the same principle applies in terms of "how much" before it becomes disruptive in the same way as wind, thunderstorms etc. Purely to illustrate my point, I am quite happy with 15 to 20cms of snow from showers off the North Sea and then some hard frosts that keeps it with sunshine and a pause in the weather afterwards that allows the roads to be cleared and people to be able to get on with day to life whilst still carrying on enjoying the fun and beauty of the snow.But larger amounts than this with (f.e) a full on gale that cripples the system, leaves people without power, and then is followed by a rapid thaw and floods and further causes disruption is no fun and beyond simply being a 'weather enthusiast' This is simply an illustration of the point - there are various permutations of the same thing. Its only 'fun and interesting' as long as it doesn't interfere with everyday life. What is the excitement and fun in that?Therefore speaking for myself, then severe blizzards are not necessarily what I am craving or 'desparate for' Of course no-one can control the weather, but that is actually not the point that is being made here.

Sorry but have to disagree, 2cms of snow will cause interference with peoples lives especially down here in the south ! You suggest that you would like 15-20 cms of snow as acceptable and then its all conveniently cleared away and everybody gets on with their lives. That amount would cripple the south and certainly roads around my area would take a week or so to get cleared, also lives would be at risk due to a huge amount of road accidents, people falling over and breaking bones etc etc.

I would agree with you that we wouldn't want another 1987 storm, but to be honest that last storm was a fairly tepid affair - sure electricity problems and a few trees down but in the grand scheme of things not a storm I wouldn't mind re-appearing to be honest

Posted

but to be honest that last storm was a fairly tepid affair - sure electricity problems and a few trees down but in the grand scheme of things not a storm I wouldn't mind re-appearing to be honest

+ 4 people dead, I think that's enough of a storm surely?

• Like 5

Posted

*sigh*

I give up what is it with people wishing for destructive weather. Yes places like the US get hurricanes and snow storms but in this part of the world especially in our little corner events like that are pretty rare.

I'm currently sitting in my lounge looking at a tree that is leaning very precariously right next to the power line. IF and I mean a big IF Sunday pans out like it is forecast at the moment I am concerned that they will fall. Why would anybody wish to have that happen.

• Like 4