Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Then again, should the models do their usual, we might enjoy optimal conditions for seeing whatever's left of Comet ISON?

Sod ...Comet ISON...This is rarer Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well into FI GFS and ECM both offer a northerly although getting there is slightly different. Now we need a few more runs to see if it comes off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Fantastic charts for cold and snow for IMBY and other NW parts of the UK, the usual caveats apple though in these cases at this range, with the danger of all this being shunted further East nearer the time. Just for once lets hope not and instead lets see further upgrades for longevity next, please weather gods be kind to us all more those of us in the NW.

Amen

• Like 4

Im off out-

I would just offer 1 word of caution

This Shortwave is the one to watch with keen eyes-

ALL the models even possibly the UKMO recurve this SE NOT north up through Greenland

post-1235-0-98340500-1385753017_thumb.jp

If theres to be any downgrades from the ECM they will come from this -

However if ECM Is correct- remember its against every model then every model will UPGRADE!

S

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

4 days ago the GFS picked up this Nly pattern, and for the most part stuck to its guns, it isn't the first time its picked up a trend in the far reaches of the forecast, dropped the idea for 4-6 runs and then go it right. Ok Nly aint great for Southern snow lovers but if the 12Z is even within a sniff of what it has projected, the NE  of Scotland, the Northern Isles and Highlands are stuffed with widespread blizzards even to lower levels.

And right now there is nothing to doubt what it is telling me given the GEM, ECM and ensembles are heading exactly the same way too.

The key is this low and when it begins too deepen, Its timing is crucial to a wintry outbreak. However there is no doubt in my mind that given the pressure over Greenland, eventually this set sup will cause an outbreak of significantly  colder air from the north. How long it lasts for is another matter.. I suspect it will be a relatively short sharp blast of around 4 days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

JMA says no chance to any cold spell, instead it sends the cold a long way east

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Im off out-

I would just offer 1 word of caution

This Shortwave is the one to watch with keen eyes-

ALL the models even possibly the UKMO recurve this SE NOT north up through Greenland

Posted ImageECH1-144WAVE2.jpg

If theres to be any downgrades from the ECM they will come from this -

However if ECM Is correct- remember its against every model then every model will UPGRADE!

S

..quite agree "SM.ecm may as much be leading atm as be behind and or on failure synopsis! And most certain (as per) shortwaving will be significant...I'm confident However ECM(although variables recently, may well become form horse, with catch up play cross!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

JMA says no chance to any cold spell

Posted Image

really???Posted Image Posted Image.Still a lot to be resolved model output wise regarding the eastern seaboard low exiting ete but imo jma is probably not on the money

Edited by swfc
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Just for a bit of fun, the CFS daily has got its own take on the cold. Extends the cold a lot longer with height rises to the N & NE. Only a bit of fun though http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=174&mode=0&carte=0&run=10   Great run from ECM, as Steve says above, its that shortwave that needs watching. Still to many disagreements upstream to be confident of any outlook however i'd rather have the ECM on our side than the GFS!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Posted Image

Its not quite no chance as cold air does hit the north looks similar to GEM by keeping any cold short lived

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Posted Image

That actually still shows a cold spell for the north. 

• Like 3

Posted

Not really seeing the optimism for a longer protracted spell of cold to be honest as much as I would like it. ECM shows a 4 day cold snap but at 216, 240 you can see a Vortex re forming flatter surpressed and high pressure west/over UK after day 4 of the cold snap.

High pressure to west of us or over us and ties in with anomaly charts.

After the cold northerly we sort of await the next chapter:-)

Posted Image

Edited by ChartViewer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Its not quite no chance as cold air does hit the north looks similar to GEM by keeping any cold short lived

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Indeed a glancing blow, more like a 2 day cold snap for far north not really proper cold spell. ECM was showing -10 uppers creeping into Northern England. JMA seems much more tame.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

That`s not you speaking to yourself Summer is it? i.e Gaz?

Anyway, you can shove very cold air away but following behind is cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Good evening everyone. Here is the report on the 12 noon outputs from GFS, UKMO, GEM, NAVGEM and ECM for today Friday November 29h 2013.

While all models as already stated support just a short cold snap late next week the depth of cold is quite marked this early in the season and the evolution taking us out of the cold may be more gradual than is currently shown in my opinion.

Thanks for the detail as ever and your overall opinion which is welcome by us few trying to learn. A steady pair of hands in a choppy sea.

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Fantastic charts for cold and snow for IMBY and other NW parts of the UK, the usual caveats apply though in these cases at this range, with the danger of all this being shunted further East nearer the time. Just for once lets hope not and instead lets see further upgrades for longevity next. Please weather gods be kind to us all, more so for those of us in the NW.

You think the uppers will be cold enough at -6/-8 or are we looking at marginal conditions away from the peaks etc?

Posted

Indeed a glancing blow, more like a 2 day cold snap for far north not really proper cold spell. ECM was showing -10 uppers creeping into Northern England. JMA seems much more tame.

The GEM was seen as an outlier solution and ditched by NOAA this evening, the JMA is the Brut of the aftershave world.It's really what the GFS/ECM/UKMO agree on that will decide things. There are no guarantees either way regarding the northerly, it might get watered down. Certainly makes for avid model watching, its the first real drama of the season!

• Like 3

Posted

Just for a bit of fun, the CFS daily has got its own take on the cold. Extends the cold a lot longer with height rises to the N & NE. Only a bit of fun though http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=174&mode=0&carte=0&run=10   Great run from ECM, as Steve says above, its that shortwave that needs watching. Still to many disagreements upstream to be confident of any outlook however i'd rather have the ECM on our side than the GFS!!

Not just a bit of fun tbh. This evolution is perfectly possible and there have been a few similar charts popping up in the GEFS over the last 24 hours. Jason
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

I think the mild SW after the cold snap will be a few days affair as the low pressure making its way eastwards towards Scandinavia and then its cold north-westerlies. Posted Image This is on GFS. I am pretty sure alot will change in few days though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted

That was a very good run of the ECM and more than I would expect at this time of year. As a child of the mid-late 90s and early 2000s, 3-4 days of cold would be mega long in my books if it were not for the last 4 or 5 years, so these charts are exactly what I am looking for this winter! Even in the last chart there is long term potential as high pressure ridges into Scandinavia

Posted Image

OK it's 240 hours away, but that high looks like it's only going one way to me if there was a 268 ECM, and that's south, unless anyone can advise me of the error of my ways :-D
  • Like 1