Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

exciting model watching, however preparing for monstrous FI changes by the morning...maybe in a better way for coldies you never know....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

As the ECM was sniffing on a potential at 240

post-16960-0-74446800-1385765438_thumb.g

the gfs 18z at 240 also smells the coffee,i meen the scandi coffee

post-16960-0-15601200-1385765259_thumb.p

post-16960-0-99867800-1385765194_thumb.g

Edited by allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Scandi High & slider @ 384.

They all seem to be getting to the same end product albeit by differeing routes.

I've never seen that before.

As none of it will verify I wouldn't worry - LOL! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

talking of 24-48 hour forecasting.

Whoever drew that 1000-500mb thickness 528DM line MID way between two fronts instead of close by one would have a serious problem explaining that to any instructor at the Met Office College!

Being specific, the area around 25w I think where the cold front becomes a warm front for a short length; the 528dm line crosses it into what is effectively a warm sector=really, explain that using the thickness equation please?

Haroomph.. this would never have been allowed if Queen Victoria was still alive. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Meanwhile...

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Its only the weather, and not a score card competition, do we have to have this combative male rutting with detached sentences and capital letters for emphasis? Model analysis is good - but can't it be restrained without machoismPosted Image

Dearie me, these old eyes read that as masochism ....not much difference anyway when it comes to what we put ourselves through!

Remarkably, 1962 still seems to be replicated in the coming pattern - perhaps SM is on to something - agree, skip the French, too many strings being pulled already. cf viola - voila.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

An Easterly in mid-Dec? It's all strangely familiar...

• Like 4

Posted

As I said yesterday 1962 Dec, only slightly earlier..............In my Madden eyes anyway

Posted

LOL- Del boy French.... !!

Sorrys peoples--

John its not second guessing the models - its forecasting by removing the model bias Posted Image

S

I believe you but many don't

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

No change then really. Great ECM ens I must add. Well many days ago I did suggest that if the polar vortex transfers across the pole then we could get a window of opportunity to build heights over Scandinavia. Looks like it could still happen. Hope for more good output tomorrow :)Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

An Easterly in mid-Dec? It's all strangely familiar...

Once bitten, twice shy?!Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

A big straw clutching hat

Posted Imageimages.jpg

as for the models,i would just like to comment on the 12z ECM 240 at face value(i know people have commented on this scenario)and also in FI,but it could be plausible IF it went right,here is my paint job if that 240 chart would come off

Posted ImageECM1-240.GIF

we could fetch a easterly if this ridge pushes further NE

i await another 24-48hrs to see if there is a trend there.

Yes we would need low pressure to form over NW Europe otherwise we might just about get a slack Easterly flow into the SE and would have to wait a few days to see if we could get a Scandi high from there. We wouldn't pick up a proper Easterly flow as the ensemble chart Steve posted would for at least a few days IMO but I think he was just explaining the principal. The quick way to a Scandi high rather than the slow way which is to stack up heights from S/SW flow slowly orientating high pressure and eventually undercutting.

If GFS is wrong and it probably is and comes around to the ECM way of things in the next day or two then we will see that principal demonstrated more frequently within its ensembles and people will suddenly give it some credence as a genuine possibility, although it has been option and talked about by various members for some time. That is what Steve meant about people not seeing it or saying it was toppler rather than exclaiming he has a monopoly on model analysis. Also we will be able to project better which way UKMO is leaning regarding the strength of the ridge from tomorrow so we will have even more information on the likelihood of something like that occurring.

Funny enough GFS demonstrates the principle in deep FI, building an elongated ridge into Scandi and picking up an Easterly flow,

Posted ImagePosted Image

The reason it doesn't work out is because the low pressure is too far SE, or because the pattern is little too far East if you like but he principle is clearly demonstrated.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Just a few thoughts of mine looking at current charts data and looking into other forums in northern hemisphere ,and looking at current temp in northern latitudes .i think the outlook over n/west europe including the UK is heading for a very interesting time weatherwise and forecasting wise .any new posters ,people new to modell watching ,make sure you pop into the learning area ,and remember to ask questions if not sure about some of the terms used .in interesting times like now dont forget The Fax charts ,which you can learn about from many sources .and enjoy .Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Dearie me, these old eyes read that as masochism ....not much difference anyway when it comes to what we put ourselves through!

Remarkably, 1962 still seems to be replicated in the coming pattern - perhaps SM is on to something - agree, skip the French, too many strings being pulled already. cf viola - voila.

Edited - rare typo..I would like to think

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Its only the weather, and not a score card competition, do we have to have this combative male rutting with detached sentences and capital letters for emphasis? Model analysis is good - but can't it be restrained without masochismPosted Image

Masochism? 

Surely you are not suggesting masochism and/or biatching are the sole domain of Men Tamara? Posted Image

You have to be a masochist to be a coldy living in England anyway  Posted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted

GFS much flatter,well the 18z is at any rate.

The main takeaway on both is the drawing of low height vortices towards Siberia. Propensity for higher heights to our North West. It's a good position to be in at 144 hrs down the line if either scenario pans out. It's looking pretty good imho.

• Like 1

Posted

Is there a model thread where people dont only talk about FI ? Seems the only thing people here look at. Might just as well head over to maddens page. Lets have some chat about the reasonable charts?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Masochism? 

Surely you are not suggesting masochism and/or biatching are not the sole domain of Men Tamara? Posted Image

You have to be a masochist to be a coldy living in England anyway  Posted Image

It was edited in jestPosted Image ...and I have definitely used up my OT quota for the yearPosted Image

Its still a toppling ridge after all the evidence tonight. Its a case of make the most of it 

• Like 1