Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

looking through the ecm ens mean and spreads this evening my thoughts at day 10 are definitely that its eyeing up a scandi ridge. most of the long range ens output from ecm recently has built an anomolous  scandi ridge at back end of week 2 but how far north it can get will be the question.  maybe a murr sausage will be our best hope to advect deep cold back west across us.  a great start to winter model watching for 2013/14.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

CFS 1 is interesting for mid-December. "That CFS?" Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah, right!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

As others have said there is support for the ECM Det 12z! Notice the snow depths for LONDON (bottom right) and mean temperatures remaining at/below 5C in the day after the cold blast. http://www.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/Data/pluim_06260_0_00_60.png?1385759123740

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like someone beat me...

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

erm, can you explain why you feel that will/may happen please. Both the 500mb charts show an upper trough over Scandinavia, and over the past few days there has been no sign of the upper high moving on them to where you suggest?honest question

Just my viewing of the 12z output and recent Ens have supported a ridge in this region, I'm sorry John but I haven't factored the 500mb into my post but it is Friday night and I was just offering my opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

After a brief northerly toppler which will bring some welcome cooler weather neaxt weekend, the default mild pattern of High pressure over Europe and Low pressure strongly centred over Greenland looks the form horse.

Posted Image

Posted Image

At least the far end of FI shows the jet displaced south and has a bit of promise.

Posted Image

The ENS show the brief cool down before a strongly mild and zonal type regime exerts its grip in the run up to mid month.

Posted Image

I personally think your form horse is a right OUTSIDER but time will tell. Posted Image  I must admit from the 4th/5th December the models don't appear to have a clue, so in my view, NO solid judgement can be made. I personally favour a good week of cold to very cold weather (more especially so given the lying snow likelihood) to come from the 3rd to the 10th December, but even then its conjecture. No form horses for me, Posted Image just a decent bout of non-mild air for a fair few days as shown by my other recent posting.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted

Apart from on 2 occasions - 1981 and 2010 - all very early cold-incursions have been transitory in nature; and, it didn't seem to have any deleterious effects on the following winters...Was it the last Saturday in November 1969, or the first in December, that produced blizzard-conditions in Tunbridge Wells - for one day? â€‹IMO, the short blast of Arctic air currently being predicted by some model-runs is nothing out of the ordinary...

If your team won 1-0 last December it doesn't stop you getting excited when they win again 1-0 this year
  • Like 1

Posted

As others have said there is support for the ECM Det 12z! Notice the snow depths for LONDON (bottom right) and mean temperatures remaining at/below 5C in the day after the cold blast. http://www.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/Data/pluim_06260_0_00_60.png?1385759123740

Is this Definately for London as it say Debilt?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

I've got nothing to add, but I noticed this in the strat thread and I really hope this propogates straight down.

Something is brewing and I think the models are struggling somewhat.

Early days... but this is as valid a model image as any other, even though this thread tends to focus on charts at 500 or 850.

Here is the Strat prediction for 1hPa - right at the top of the troposphere - for 10 days time.

Posted Image

Note the warming that is forecast to develop over our part of the NH.

This is the strongest predicted warming so far this autumn/winter - we cant see beyond 10 days but quite possible it may build further. It takes a week or more for something like this to propagate downwards towards the troposphere... but it may suggest the beginning of some kind of assault on the vortex.

If it turns out as forecast then currently it supports the idea of blocking in our locale. We could do with any vortex distortion at lower levels dragging that high pressure to our east or west... but without trying to use our crystal ball too much this is generally a good sign overall. I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to say more than this - but if we can get blocking enhanced in the latter half of the month with some reduction in the zonal wind speed aloft then our chances increase for sustained rather than transient cold.

• Like 1

Posted

Is this Definately for London as it say Debilt?

Yes, I pondered the same and was baffled - that's De Bilt in the Netherlands??! I'm just going to check the (real) London EC EPS for comparison (might be broadly similar in some broadscale set-ups, but rarely identical... there'll be varied nuance differences in the EPSGram output).
  • Like 1

Posted
Posted · Hidden by SHM040519, November 29, 2013 - Wrong thread!
Hidden by SHM040519, November 29, 2013 - Wrong thread!

If it snows on 20th December so I can't get to Earls Court, I will cry! As much as I love snow, just not on the 20th! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM ensemble shows -5 850's covering all of the UK at t168 and t192 -10 850's just clip northern Scotland

Posted ImagePosted Image

By t192 the ensemble shows pressure slowly building over the UK with the 850's slowly recovering though it would remain cold at the surface

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Panyotis - those are the debilt 00z charts. The 12z dutch show that the control follows the op closely and thereafter into the freezer as the flow turns to the east (and not completely slack either). The drum beats quietly for an easterly flow to follow the northerly (in whatever form it takes)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

London/Essex ECM ensembles here: http://www.essexweather.com/outlook.html

Not too different, but about 1 or 2 degrees difference this side of North Sea.

There were 4 members (out of 50) that had snowcover, greater than 1CM in London at the next of next week.

Also worth pointing out, there were a couple of sub-zero (ice day) members too :-)

Edited by essexweather
  • Like 6

Posted

London/Essex ECM ensembles here: http://www.essexweather.com/outlook.html Not too different, but about 1 or 2 degrees difference this side of North Sea. There were 4 members (out of 50) that had snowcover, greater than 1CM in London at the next of next week. Also worth pointing out, there were a couple of sub-zero (ice day) members too :-)

Yup - thanks. I was just checking the Reading ones. Broadly similar story.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Yes, I pondered the same and was baffled - that's De Bilt in the Netherlands??! I'm just going to check the (real) London EC EPS for comparison (might be broadly similar in some broadscale set-ups, but rarely identical... there'll be varied nuance differences in the EPSGram output).

.plenty varied one would susspect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

18z is a repeat of the 12z only a tad faster at 120h, certainly different to MetO and especially ECM.

Posted

Wintry weather into northern Scotland at t120 on the 18z.

Slowly coming around to the Euro models,but not quite there yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Better amplification so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS ECM comparison for what is now just 138h

Posted ImagePosted Image

One of them is very wrong. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Check this out guys..GEFS 12z perturbation 5........what a stunner and it has more staying power than the ecm 12z op run, there are some other crackers in there too, including the control run. This has been a much more positive day / night for coldies hopes of a sharp shock Arctic Blast in barely a weeks time.Posted Image

post-4783-0-54979500-1385763138_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-40948100-1385763158_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-24598900-1385763168_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-43411300-1385763178_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-89200700-1385763187_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-81250200-1385763197_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-24255300-1385763206_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-60547800-1385763223_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-33322700-1385763231_thumb.pn

• Like 4