Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

NO.

The ECM did polar blocking for 2 runs & gave it up before it found the right pattern. This was to do with the path of the tropical storm.

The GFS goes for the zonal reset every time, that means occasionally it will seem correct when in fact its just forecasting persistence.

S

That's summary is too simplistic Steve, yes the GFS is often keen to barrel the jet thru at Northern latitudes but when blocking is involved they can all struggle at times - don't forget the ECM has shown easterlies at T120 that haven't come off.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

@Glenn W

GEM only goes to t240

GFS ensembles shows the 850's recovering around the 9th coldest period looks to be later next week

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder, storms, frosts, summer heatwaves.

, there is a 168hrs but for some reason the UKMO view this as top secret, apparently its under armed guard 24hrs a day in case God forbid a member of the public could actually view it!!!

I see why - it keeps the product as one of relative quality and accuracy, avoiding much of the FI pfaffing.  That's not to say the Met O is always accurate - I think it verifies at 144 usually in second place; though by virtue of its short time period it avoids the same number of reversals the longer reaching models inevitably suffer from.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

That's summary is too simplistic Steve, yes the GFS is often keen to barrel the jet thru at Northern latitudes but when blocking is involved they can all struggle at times - don't forget the ECM has shown easterlies at T120 that haven't come off.

GFS 12z ensembles, as has been said it is all about the modelling upstream. I always say take in as much data as you can and try to avoid confirmation bias re the models but on this occasion I agree it makes sense to stick with the Euros until there is cross model support - that doesn't mean they will win the race but they are favourites in this situation. 

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=256&y=98

These ensembles could look very different tomorrow.

Edited by Mucka

Posted

12z UKMO and GFS at 120 hrs.

GFS..  UKMO..

The gfs still has the spoiler LP whereas the UKMO has not which allows

for a much cleaner northerly later on.

Look for this feature (or lack of it) on the ecm in the next 15 minutes.

• Like 6

Posted

I see why - it keeps the product as one of relative quality and accuracy, avoiding much of the FI pfaffing.  That's not to say the Met O is always accurate - I think it verifies at 144 usually in second place; though by virtue of its short time period it avoids the same number of reversals the longer reaching models inevitably suffer from.

Regarding the 168hrs output, I don't see why they can't just release it, economically this isn't a big deal for them , its not like we're asking to see the MOGREPS. I understand they need to bring in external funding but a lot of that is with longer range forecasts for business etc, another 24hrs of data made available to the general public is hardly going to sink them. And the only people that will view it is model anoraks like us, its not like Britney is going to get all upset because the 168hrs was a bit dodgy, I can see it now, traumatized Chav seeks damages from UKMO after erroneous 168hrs  output!!!

• Like 8

Posted

Ah...Apoligies, Just noticed you put up the GEM... Allow me...

Posted Image

But thats the end of gfs at day 16, not the gem at day 10 ?????? why would gavibn post the gfs when he is showing us the gem ?

Posted

But thats the end of gfs at day 16, not the gem at day 10 ?????? why would gavibn post the gfs when he is showing us the gem ?

If you read my post, it was to show a reload from the NW after some cold HP moves over? Can't show that on the GEM as it only goes out to T240.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

NO spoiler low on the ECM at 120hrs and also notice the strength of the PV on the GFS compared to the other two models @Cloud10 looking good and very similar to the UKMO.....

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Well I think the first real chill is definitely coming, how long is probably FI.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

A lovely cold northerly with -6 uppers covering the whole country and -8 uppers just touching the south coast. This is exactly the sort of chart us coldies have been hoping to see maintained in the charts

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

THIS IS COLD brrr!! Heavy snow showers moving in a strong to moderate NW wind....

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

is a good chart at 168, -8 uppers maybe enough for showers to come in off the warm Irish sea, into low levels in Midlands

cracking run for those mainly in NW areas and obviously Scotland

• Like 3