Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

we've gone from this

Posted Image

to this

Posted Image

In the space of 6 hours. Fantastic!

But both charts are way out in FI so why is it a surprise?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

although saving grace might be low diving down in Europe but near miss and the heights building in the later gfs run is not likely to push far enough north to benefit us in the uk and there also a sw flow here in the south although this will alternate between sw west nw in time still cold enough in the north for something wintry and pretty stormy to.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A warm wellcome back to the forum OMM.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

taking cover.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

To be honest I alsways rate the 12Z over the 06z as it is more often correct.  Not good news im afraid. Lets hope there's no backtrack from the ECM later or this could be the first major dissapointment of the winter... Just glad it not actualy even winter yet!

I'm not sure it is. 

This is why you shouldn't take 1 days worth of runs at t200 as gospel. We haven't been lead up the path, it was just a small trend that had started to be picked up well into FI. I honestly can't for the life of me see why people get excited over things 10 days or so down the line and then wonder why they dissapear a run later. I for one, am not going to be dissapointed if the ECM is a bust later, because frankly we could be in raging zonality or under a supersonic Easterly by this time next week and the chances of the models getting it bang on at this stage (or even remotely synoptically close at all) is small. 

Models are ran by computers, they don't run the weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

I feel like people are jumping to conclusions based on one run! In the same way that we must not assume that one cold run is correct, we must not assume that one wet and windy run is correct. There is plenty of time left for things to change in either direction. It's a dangerous game to play if you allow yourself to be swayed by one piece of evidence and not the full picture. This particular run is very bad for cold and snow, but that doesn't guarantee the same for the next. Look for trends and key triggers that will affect the outcome of this spell of weather.

• Like 3

Posted

ukmo looks like a near miss to out to t144 sorry I cant post charts for some reason which is annoying me.

but that's two models which have shifted the pattern to far east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

But both charts are way out in FI so why is it a surprise?

Fully aware of that, but we jump on it if it is Fl and it shows cold. Just showing what a huge difference the 06z and 12z are showing in the same time frame, not saying it will verify like either of them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO and GFS look pretty similar at t144 if this proves correct the coldest air would be short lived

Posted ImagePosted Image

GFS shows the northerly hardly affecting the UK

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

WOW gfs 12z is brining in the hairdryer in FI thos evening.Temps of 12 and 13 degrees across the south in mid December????yuk!!

Probably a warm outlier but what bothers me is not this run, it's that today's met office update never mentioned the words wintry or snow, not even sure frost was mentioned either. :-(
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

quite big differences between the GFS and UKMO come Wednesday 13:00, which convinces me this is a mild outlier from the GFS

GFS

Posted Image

UKMO

Posted Image

Just my opinion of course 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

That GFS 12z run underlines what I was saying this morning about being so reliant on the development and track of that shortwave/low making anything after tenuous.

Timing is everything. Someone mentioned about the 12 not splitting it and that is a good observation, all previous output has spit this energy and the UKMO 12z still does so another reason to treat this run with caution.

GFS 00z(split), UKMO12z,(split) GFS 12z (no split)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I'm not sure if this lack of split ties in with others observations about the jet being less amplified upstream as the jet is similarly modelled where and when the shortwave forms.

It could just be a matter of timing, if it is delayed or develops further West it will deepen more and track more E rather than SE which is what we want and won't phase well with our trough as far as displacing high pressure West.

Maybe not worth over analysing this run except there are reasons to treat it with scepticism.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

UKMO and GFS look pretty similar at t144 if this proves correct the coldest air would be short lived

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Gavin, where it matters i.e upstream, the two runs are completely different.

• Like 4

Posted

WOW gfs 12z is brining in the hairdryer in FI thos evening.Temps of 12 and 13 degrees across the south in mid December????yuk!!

....or alternatively "yum" depending on individual tastes / business needs / lifestyle / etc. I know many folk who'd positively welcome a milder phase and some savings on heating expense! Anyway, much uncertainty on this outcome.
  • Like 6

Posted

but has the gfs over done the low pressure system even so its a near miss possibly there could be a second wwa behind the system could this little gap perhaps build something a little futher north although I must admit ive given up on Greenland heights.

the cfs model really does like these Greenland heights really is rather odd.

I think the uk met are really on the ball every year there model gets better and better I must say its the reason why the ukmo model is the one I back all the time and the ukmo also where never 100% on this cold spell even before tonights 12z so it goes to show that its not good in this pattern set up to over ramp.

lets get the vortex on the move and see something like a scandi block or the infamous greeny block and then we can be more confident atm I see nothing exciting at all but as ian said atleast my heating bills will come down extra presents for my kids.

Edited by emotional rollercoaster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

I disagree they are similar. In the UKMO the low on the US east coast is split into a small fragment going north and a larger bit further south, this is what was happenning in the earlier GFS and ECM runs, which produced the amazing synotipcs later. GEM and others this morning went the one big low route and did something similar to the GFS 12Z

Posted

Probably a warm outlier but what bothers me is not this run, it's that today's met office update never mentioned the words wintry or snow, not even sure frost was mentioned either. :-(

However their MR folk point-out some unusually mild members in the MOGREPS and indeed EC clusters lately, albeit they are/were very much the minority. Nothing currently out of the question.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Quick comparison of the 850's from UKMO and GFS s

UKMO

Posted Image

GFS

Posted Image

Out of the 2 GFS is less cold

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

That GFS 12z run underlines what I was saying this morning about being so reliant on the development and track of that shortwave/low making anything after tenuous.

Timing is everything. Someone mentioned about the 12 not splitting it and that is a good observation, all previous output has spit this energy and the UKMO 12z still does so another reason to treat this run with caution.

GFS 00z(split), UKMO12z,(split) GFS 12z (no split)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I'm not sure if this lack of split ties in with others observations about the jet being less amplified upstream as the jet is similarly modelled where and when the shortwave forms.

It could just be a matter of timing, if it is delayed or develops further West it will deepen more and track more E rather than SE which is what we want and won't phase well with our trough as far as displacing high pressure West.

Maybe not worth over analysing this run except there are reasons to treat it with scepticism.

Worth noting the ECM did not split the lows this morning, but pulled the low straight north up the west coast of Greenland and effectively out of harms way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Whilst the ECM and GFS agreed on the northerly, the route involving the upstream pattern was different.

Just another spanner to add to the vast mountain of them appearing at the moment Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave