Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Other than a few days next week NAO shows little sign of going negative for any lengthy period

Posted Image

although the graph is misleading as we all know its only indicative of what the models are showing. Its not a background signal . Or a driver. Its simply as reliable as the models themselvs. Which at the minute are far from it . :) Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Lot's of discussion about whether we should side with the Operationals or ensemble suits when there is such divergence but I don't see how anyone can declare the Op to be right and ensembles wrong or vice versa - such divergence simply highlights the uncertainty and that is all that should be taken from it IMO. After all the very purpose of having ensembles is to weigh up confidence in any one outcome, they are just another forecasting tool and we should never dismiss data if we are looking without bias to formulate a forecast.

What does help confidence in the operational output though is cross model support and consistency run to run, after all if the ECM this morning was poor who would still dismiss GFS ensembles? And if GFS was poor but its ensembles and ECM Op good then wouldn't it be the Op that was dismissed and the ensembles lorded - this is confirmation bias and we all have it to a lesser or greater degree. Sometimes it helps (when we get lucky) and sometimes it hinders (when we get unlucky). Posted Image

I am very pleased with my overall record on picking up long range signals (14 days+) but to be fair it is more difficult putting the detail to that as it comes closer so far as it affects are our small Island and what we will actually experience ion the ground.

It is extremely difficult to call our weather so far out (8 days+), especially in a situation as complex and fluid as this although we can have more confidence in one solution than another.

I think on probability we will at least get a good Arctic blast of 2 or 3 days but I can't have high confidence in any one outcome at the moment.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Low exciting the seaboard is further south and hasn't split yet.

Posted Image

Also more energy in USA with the low further east.

Expecting a different run from this.

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

no judgement but the jet into the west coast states is flatter and stronger ......................

Well that may be no bad thing since it may mean less energy spilling out toward Greenland downstream.

I think the bigger player is how the shortwave/low behaves and interacts with our trough.

Quite different to the 00z at the mid range which shows how volatile and open to change things still are.

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Can some people please show a little more optimism. It's not a competition of let's see where we can find and force in mild weather

I have plenty of optimism, ARNOTT. it comes form the almost certain knowledge that I, you, the GFS, the METO - not even James Madden  - do not know what things will be like in, say, a month from now...Posted Image

Edited by A Boy Named Sue
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

the 1040hPa high has been replaced with a 1000hPa low near Newfoundland at 162hrs.......

Yeah that high is now about 1000 miles further south and having fun in Florida Posted Image

UKMO at day 6

Posted Image

Nice to see the uncertainty exponentially increase as the start date of the "cold" spell approaches Posted Image

Frankly the GFS looks a mess over North America, I mean it's showing pretty much a slack pressure pattern over the northern states and Southern Canada.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Significant NH changes on the 12Z GFS by T168. It's worth remembering that the 06Z and 0Z GFS operational runs were significantly colder than the majority of the ENS so it wouldn't be surprising to see a less severe cold plunge in FI on this run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

I would love to think that this run could be better if we still get some amplification as the low in the Atlantic is removed. 

Posted

the 1040hPa high has been replaced with a 1000hPa low near Newfoundland at 162hrs.......

which shows the I was going to say futility but will change it to the variablity of GFS from run to run at these time scales. Have you any idea how the 12z today at 144h approximately compares to the 12z 168h for yesterday?

Looking on Wx Online 3 out of the last 4 issues for the same time show low pressure close by Newfoundland, only the Tuesday 12z showed high pressure rather than low pressure. So in terms of continuity low pressure seems favoured for the same time, that is Thursday 12z 5 December. Mind you that is not to say it will be thus. But it does show how run to run variability is quite often not shown if you compare the same time GFS issue for some time, the same time/date, in the future?

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 3

Posted

Yeah that high is now about 1000 miles further south and having fun in Florida Posted Image

UKMO at day 6

Posted Image

Nice to see the uncertainty exponentially increase as the start date of the "cold" spell approaches Posted Image

Frankly the GFS looks a mess over North America, I mean it's showing pretty much a slack pressure pattern over the northern states and Southern Canada.

GFS looks like another outlier, only this time on the mild side. No doubt the ensembles will go the other way. Posted Image​ 

Seriously though, GFS is so wildly different to  the 00z that we can't have any confidence in either run, probably best to stick with the Euros for now.

UKMO is quite consistent witht his mornings run and look okay to me at 144h though a chart another 12h or 24h would be much more revealing. 

Still it is much more akin to the GFS 00z than the GFS 12z so I wouldn't say bin this GFS run but I would say treat with extreme scepticism for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

And led up the garden path yet again Posted Image why do the models constantly produce such poor Synoptics over us (if you like cold weather). Always seems so easy in other parts of the world!

I don't understand the pessimism. Firstly, this run hasn't finished. Secondly, it is only one run. Sure, it's not as clean or as clear cut as some of the previous runs, but that is to be expected. Patience is a virtue that might come in handy at the moment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

yep gfs has the ian brown famous channel of doom.

well was expecting the whole lot to be futher south the pressure being forced north is just to much and the low heights are just coming out of the states moving northeast but high pressure is not far enough north and high is futher east over us pushing a near miss situation this happens all the time when things are not blocked to our nw strong vortex does not help.

I think as it gets closer to a realistic timeframe it shows why really its not worth banking anything any later than t144 and that's pushing it.

its not a 09/10 type of set up we are seeing its totally different in many aspects.

Edited by emotional rollercoaster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

we've gone from this

Posted Image

to this

Posted Image

In the space of 6 hours. Fantastic!

Not a pretty Fl, PV right where we don't want it. Hopefully we see this as an outlier.

Posted Image

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted

To be honest I alsways rate the 12Z over the 06z as it is more often correct.  Not good news im afraid. Lets hope there's no backtrack from the ECM later or this could be the first major dissapointment of the winter... Just glad it not actualy even winter yet!