Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

But OP is run at higher res than mean? A lot to go through and more ups and downs I think through DecemberBFTP

Yes but the trend has been to turn cold and unsettled, so the gfs 12z op can probably be treated with the contempt it deserves. Edited by Frosty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Posted Image

Posted Image#

Posted Image

Probably the craziest member, but plenty of perturbations showing a northerly between days 8-10. The op looks to be in the milder cluster of solutions. Big range of solutions though. Going to be a bumpy ride.

The control run shows this, not as extreme but still pretty stormy

Posted Image

There is a brief cold (snow) window as this clears so better than the op.

It does show a Scandi high though

Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GFS 06z ens were split 50/50 Atlantic ridge or not. The 12z Control says yes to the ridge:

T192: post-14819-0-11131400-1385660582_thumb.p T240: post-14819-0-53724000-1385660605_thumb.p

T300: post-14819-0-91405600-1385660626_thumb.p post-14819-0-85678100-1385660657_thumb.p

The short ens hint the op may be a pressure outlier: post-14819-0-97515200-1385660824_thumb.g

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

It will be interesting to compare the ECM and UKMO at T144. Bit of difference between the GFS at the UKMO at this time. I wouldn't be surprised if the ECM pushes everything slightly further east than the GFS shows.

Posted

The mild operative who placed a bug in the GFS computer be warned we will find you! Jeez that GFS operational run certainly harpooned the festive spirit! There's some strange goings on upstream between this run and the earlier 06 and 00hrs run, it speeds that shortwave through the USA  very quickly and flattens the downstream ridge which flies in the face of what NOAA think is going to happen.

The UKMO is a chasm away from the GFS upstream so its all very uncertain, regardless of what the ECM shows I think we'll have to wait till tomorrow as its hard to have a lot of confidence if the big 3 don't agree at 144hrs.

• Like 2

Posted

One thing I'm looking at in the short term is whether the HP will be positioned to introduce a continental feed to southern and southeastern parts.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013112812/gfs-0-96.png?12?12

Hints of an ESE'ly drift - could be quite cold and potentially foggy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

GEFS 2m Temp:post-14819-0-53418400-1385661309_thumb.g

As others suggested this is the mild outlier to balance the cold 0z. Ignore till it garners more support.

I think it goes wrong by pushing the Pacific Trough quickly east thru the US, so any short wave coming off the east coast is bustled along not allowing time for it to take the cold route.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

there is the option that steve murr pointed out a couple of days ago scandi heights have been a feature for most winters recently so never can rule scandi heights out atleast if we can see one of these features move closer into a more realistic timeframe then anything is possible other than 2009 and 2010 the scandi heights have brought us some snowy weather here in the south of uk.

so I wonder will it wont it im not convinced of anything and wont be until the end of the weekend.

• Like 1

Posted

Seems like GFS op was a cold outlier in the 6z and is now a mild outlier in the 12z.

UKMO a bit better than GFS at 144. I think that gfs doesnt deal very well with that low exiting the US at t144.

Hopefully ECM tonight will join UKMO at 144 !

Posted

The GFS is always one extreme to the other and ultimately this is still beyond day 7 (T168) on the models so let's see what subsequent runs bring.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

I'll do it if it will shut you up ;)

Good post Radio head-

anyone doing the ensemble watch- its around 8 for the 12z.

S

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

t144 not much of a negative tilt on the high pressure to the west but what I like is there is a margin of area so could get better in future runs although still only t144 fingers crossed we now need a nice south or se track of this low pressure system.

BIG IF because this to looks like a near miss if this is then I feel all models are singing for the same sort of hyme sheet which is not good news.

Edited by emotional rollercoaster

Posted

The NetWeather trauma unit is ready and raring to go in the event of further model turmoil! The ECM looks nothing like the GFS at T144hrs which is a relief, but we're not out of the woods yet, the real interest doesn't come till outside of 144hrs.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Comparison between GFS and ECM 144hrs and well the ECM is looking much better with the low leaving the US on a much more southerly track and has a slight negative tilt to it compared to the GFS (which looking at the ensembles seems to be an outlier); positive signs!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Panayiotis