Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Another potential cold spell,another shortwave drama!

Is anyone keeping a tally of these?Posted Image 

In blunt terms,we need the shortwave/low pressure (call it what you will) marked with

a red cross on this 12z GFS 144 hrs chart to sod off!....

it would be much more descriptive and less Americanised if it was called what it is- low pressure or  depression

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

it would be much more descriptive and less Americanised if it was called what it is- low pressure or  depression

Pet hate eh John? :)

Edited by Skyraker

Posted

I dare not use the word "depression" on here.Posted Image 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Ha, I noticed in that NOAA update that Nick posted the phrase 'Pacific Energy'. It would probably help everyone if we had a jargon purge.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

looks to me as the 18z going with the 12z barring the eastern seaboard low being slightly stretched.Amazing isnt it,we either get scuppered from the east by these features and now from the west!!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

looks to me as the 18z going with the 12z barring the eastern seaboard low being slightly stretched.Amazing isnt it,we either get scuppered from the east by these features and now from the west!!Posted Image

Will the elongated low actually help us though and head SE, perhaps initiating a snow event?

• Like 1

Posted

Will the elongated low actually help us though and head SE, perhaps initiating a snow event?

Where will the High go if that happens ?

*edit* What would be mustard would be the low to the east to dive SE & the low to the west to undercut or more likely go for a wander up north.

More chance of a tommy off the pope though I reckon.

Edited by Skyraker

Posted

Ha, I noticed in that NOAA update that Nick posted the phrase 'Pacific Energy'. It would probably help everyone if we had a jargon purge.

It would help everyone if we all used simple English and if we must use accronyms or non basic English explain the terms but then I am pretty much alone in this. Gawd help some of you if you were involved when I was in writing text forecasts for radio and tv and did not conform!

• Like 6

Posted

It would help everyone if we all used simple English and if we must use accronyms or non basic English explain the terms but then I am pretty much alone in this. Gawd help some of you if you were involved when I was in writing text forecasts for radio and tv and did not conform!

What is this 'radio' thing you speak of?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

What is this 'radio' thing you speak of?

It's some sort of app.

(Waaaay off topic, now)

Large Russian high developing from T240 onwards. Seen that a few times now.

Edited by Yarmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Id think not imo.Id be thinking fi for me is still around the 108 hour mark.The diff from then on run to run is staggering atm given the proceedings across the pondAlso get ready for a big push towards greenland in deep fiPosted Image Posted Image

Edited by swfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

So we have gone from -10 850's for next weekend from this morning , and replaced it with +10 850's this evening for the same time . . . The joys of the gfs !!!

• Like 4

Posted

It only seems like that. The reason why the low spreads its energy over the top of the high

is because the pattern is not amplified enough. If their was greater heights then the low

would disrupt or track further south.

I am not saying this run is correct just the reason why the output is showing what it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I was shocked how poor the ecm 0z ens mean looked compared to the 0z op carlsberg run but tonight's 12z mean has regained some lost ground..about 50 percent. See you all for the 00z drama. :- )

Ps..I still think we are in for a wintry blast later next week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Although this run isn't great, at least it bucks the trend of relocating the vortex over Greenland.....quite the opposite infact

Posted Image

Greenland positively toasty

Posted Image

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted

This High wants to goto GL...... Iceland looks about right. Get that depression under the high and we have our CFS anomoly.

Posted Image

Edited by Skyraker

Posted

Christ this is tough to learn ;) Despite improvements stateside early in the run, well Steve M thought so it all seemed to fall apart back end of high res. why is that? there seems a lot of focus on upstream developments, but I sometimes wonder why :)

Serious question, learning all the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

It only seems like that. The reason why the low spreads its energy over the top of the highis because the pattern is not amplified enough. If their was greater heights then the lowwould disrupt or track further south.I am not saying this run is correct just the reason why the output is showing what it is.

I really hope I'm wrong hear , but given the low heights over the pole the gfs solution is a possible one , if the high doesn't ridge north then that low would go over the top , sinking any high south , hence the warm uppers riding over the top of the high. Let's hope for a flip in the morning .
  • Like 1

Posted

I really hope I'm wrong hear , but given the low heights over the pole the gfs solution is a possible one , if the high doesn't ridge north then that low would go over the top , sinking any high south , hence the warm uppers riding over the top of the high.Let's hope for a flip in the morning .

Considering it's not even December, I think we're starting to see something really special.

Either way.. i'm putting the tree up.

• Like 7