Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

seems gfs is that confused its thrown towl in at 192 hrsPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Yes Low Rez not appearing. Fed up of all the abuse on NW, no doubt.

Anyway a better run than the 0z, but since it looks nothing like it you can hardly have any confidence. 

0z

Posted Image

6z

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Much better GFS, the cold spell is extended on the 6z!!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Still got -4 uppers, with -6 uppers for the west at the end of the run, the cold never really leaves :)

• Like 2

Posted

So this game of model musical chairs continues! The GFS 06hrs run brings a northerly then a shortwave snow event and then a nice looking deep low heading east across the USA and Canada which with a bit more amplification could carve an even stronger ridge ahead of it, still a small chance of an east/ne flow as the ridge topples.

However how much confidence can you have in the outputs with these continued wild swings and their inability to decide what happens upstream, nice to see the GFS 06hrs at least bring some interest but I think we're going to have to wait till the timeframe gets closer before the jury delivers its northerly verdict!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

GFS06Z is SENSATIONAL Barry.

If it happens like that we'll ALL be happy(well ok most of us).

And all achieved without Greenland, Iceland, or Scandi heights. Of course, it's nothing like the 0z so it can't be taken seriously. Somehow every run seems to deliver polar air from the North, but each time taking a different route.

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

looks  like the  cold spell here to at least DEC  15   the  express  might  be  right  for a  change!!

• Like 2

Posted

I don't buy the 06z. I wish I did but I don't. I mean that low at +114 shooting across the Atlantic, where has that suddenly come from?? I bet that has dissapeared in the 12z. 

• Like 1

Posted

Let's see where the latest GFS sits within the Ens....Lately it never seems to sit anywhere near the middle after week or so...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

6z gfs throws everything bar the kitchen sink in. And develops somewhat incur mystery LPS.a run to a degree that can be dismissed!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

gfs @ day 8 cfs a day earlier 

post-18134-0-99864900-1385723289_thumb.ppost-18134-0-06249100-1385723344_thumb.p

very similar... although not identical...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Posted Image

Ridge building north. 

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Ensemble Watch.

Posted Image

Where is the best place to find the ensembles ?, and how long after the actual run do they appear ? i may be doing something wrong but the ensembles on Netweather doesnt tell you which run they are from

Edit: 

The graph section shows the run, but the map section doesnt, but i assume it is the same run

Edited by CasMan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Where is the best place to find the ensembles ?, and how long after the actual run do they appear ? i may be doing something wrong but the ensembles on Netweather doesnt tell you which run they are from

Edit: 

The graph section shows the run, but the map section doesnt, but i assume it is the same run

It does, look where it says 00z, personally i still prefer the Wetter ones:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsenseur.html click on 500hPa Geopot. - Alle Member

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavnmgeur.html click on GFS 1° + GFS Ens Europa then use the drop downs

But each to their own Posted Image

Edited by tempestas
  • Like 1

Posted

500 mean

http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-21-1-204.png

850 mean

http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-21-1-204.png

Not quite sure what to make of the mean, there's quite a few zonal runs in the ensembles though, Op definitely on the cold side at that stage. (Edit: By zonal, not default zonal ie SWlies but chilly -2/4 uppers zonal)

Edited by Weathizard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

I see the 06z GFS has lifted the spirit of us cold weather fans again, with yet another scenario post t200 (too far out to give it much credence yet). High pressure relaxes back out into the Atlantic and with enough NW/SE tilt on the jet, and heights remaining low over Europe, we get a low tracking SE across the UK.

As Tamara suggests above, there would be enough embedded cold air left, after our brief northerly flirtation to suggest a snow event ,on the northern flank of this low, for Northern parts of Britain.

Not too long to wait before we see what the 12z runs make of this development but of course it could all be gone in the blink of an eyelid and of course at that range, not worth getting our hopes up just yet.

Tom.

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

ECM London 0Z Ensembles are interesting. While the Op is below the mean its pretty much in the middle of the main cluster from day 8 comprising probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the ensemble members, with the mean pulled higher by a minority of very much higher runs.

Posted Image

So looking good for something cold, at least for a bit, although still with a risk of a very different and much warmer outcome.

(That path with the min of -10 and day time of below -5 on the 11th is interesting!).

Edited by SomeLikeItHot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

I see the 06z GFS has lifted the spirit of us cold weather fans again, with yet another scenario post t200 (too far out to give it much credence yet). High pressure relaxes back out into the Atlantic and with enough NW/SE tilt on the jet, and heights remaining low over Europe, we get a low tracking SE across the UK.

As Tamara suggests above, there would be enough embedded cold air left, after our brief northerly flirtation to suggest a snow event ,on the northern flank of this low, for Northern parts of Britain.

Not too long to wait before we see what the 12z runs make of this development but of course it could all be gone in a blink of an eyelid and of course at that range, not worth getting our hopes up just yet.

Tom. 

Yes the GFS 06z has a snow event midlands northward around the 228 hours, disruption a definate if that came off

post-4955-0-01175200-1385725577_thumb.pn

• Like 3