Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Well my fence isn't on the ground yet but the one fence that has stayed upright for the last 18 years in this house is now swaying dangerously and as a consequence my gate is slamming back and forth so don't think it will last much longer either lol. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Blimey! Just had a gust of 59mph and that was bad enough. Very heavy rain here also. Temp 7.2c wind WNW. 992mb falling rapidly.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted

Just heading to airport in an attempt to get home. So far flights OK but expecting that to change pretty soon. Loads of Klm flights already cancelled. Fingers crossed but not looking forward to it if it does go OK!

• Like 2

Posted

Wow! I've got rain coming through my front door lock, under the front door and through a front window! The window obviously needs replaced but just shows how bad the rain and wind are!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Yep, we've rain being driven in through every possible tiny gap, too. The house has been occasionally shuddering slightly since about 2am, and at present I reckon if it wasn't time to get up, I'd be getting up anyway as it's always a bit unnerving up here when the attic starts juddering more than 'occasionally'! Still, it's stood 120 years, it'll stand a few more :)That is seriously horrible out there. Fingers crossed people stay safe and stay sensible and stay indoors...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Highland Main Line has a train stuck after hitting a tree and looks to be closing. Tree over near the ERI aswell

Posted

Morning all,

Pretty wild out there - Leuchars reporting a mean 43mph @ 7am, you can probably add a few mph to that figure for Crail. Power is flickering but so far still on.

Tay Road Bridge now closed to all traffic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Yep, we've rain being driven in through every possible tiny gap, too. 

The house has been occasionally shuddering slightly since about 2am, and at present I reckon if it wasn't time to get up, I'd be getting up anyway as it's always a bit unnerving up here when the attic starts juddering more than 'occasionally'! Still, it's stood 120 years, it'll stand a few more Posted Image

That is seriously horrible out there. Fingers crossed people stay safe and stay sensible and stay indoors...

Aye, wee drips found a couple of ways around a window seal here.

Blawin a hoolie.

Think I might work from here. Don't think travel may be the brightest idea. 35 miles inc over soutra.... Wonder what it's like up on the moor there!

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3

Posted

Bugger.....I have a ship's bell hanging on the garage and I meant to tape the clapper up. Sounds like the Titanic going down out there!  

Hahaha, this has made me laugh out loud literally! :D

From the Beeb's live feed: "

0735: BBC Scotland correspondent James Cook 

tweets: The Met Office say they are checking a reading of a 141mph gust on Aonach Mor this morning. 3000ft up but still very windy."

141mph? Blimey...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Rain stopped again, we must be under that clear patch on the radar. Looks like we are going to be hit by a squall line soon tho'?  Nope, just checked again and what looked like a solid red line has now gone. Radar echoes are moving so fast!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning fellow Kilties! Right, thunderstorms at 5.30am, then the wind really started picking up. We've had sleet and hail too, but it is already calming down. As for wind speed....my anemometer is crap! It says max speed was 17.7mph....utter dross! I really must get the OH to move it higher up. According to the interweb Lusa recorded a gust of 84mph, but our local weather station is currently offline as are most of the weather stations in the west. Oh, and as for the power....oan, aff, oan, aff, oan......... Exceptionally high tide, I could see the waves washing right over the top of the pier. I heard on the wireless that Auchterarder is out as well as South Uist and many other places in the west. Skye bridge closed, all ferries cancelled. A day off school for a lot of kids. Poor parents! Not much fun if you've no leccy and are trying to keep the kids amused and warm.

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Its err windy shall we say? 

Trampoline was so say secured but just smashed into the kitchen window - didn't break the window but im worried about the state of the window ledge but im not for checking right now! Lights flickering here too. Supposed to walk the girls to school in 30 mins and I really dont want to. :-(

• Like 3

Posted

Sounds like my mate was right not to be trying to get a ferry this morning to Mull… 

Its err windy shall we say? 

Trampoline was so say secured but just smashed into the kitchen window - didn't break the window but im worried about the state of the window ledge but im not for checking right now! Lights flickering here too. Supposed to walk the girls to school in 30 mins and I really dont want to. :-(

We never bought a trampoline. We just use the neighbours' ones as they pass through our garden… 

• Like 3

Posted

Absolute carnage here. Was just about to leave for school and as I'm in walking through the hallway, a monster of a gust smashes a large window upstairs and flings glass everywhere. Was just walking past it a few minutes before as well, could've been seriously injured there. Decided not to go to school today haha. Posted Image

It's been really strange so far; it was very windy when I got up but there weren't any huge gusts at least. However, in the last couple of hours the wind has become less sustained, but every twenty minutes or so, a monumental gust happens out of nowhere. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Morning all, bit wild out there today then !

Stay safe. Away to try and get a train which may be either running slowly, delayed or cancelled - Scotrail very informative !!

Very strong gusts here, lights flickering a lot. A proper hoolie.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Well I recorded 82mph in my garden at Lochgelly just before I came out to work at 6:25am this morning. Electricity on and off all last night. Noticed some sleet in the rain just as I arrived in work 10 mins ago, must be approaching the back edge soon, still feels mild though in the wind and rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Holy fkn 5h1t, we were all woken my the most immense clap of thunder at 05:44, then another a couple of minutes later. Nasty to  say the least. Now, not specially windy and not very wet, 3C. Had a brief power cut a WHILE ago, apparently schools are out. So says youngest HC in a bid for freedom.  Weirdest thing is, my mouse lead was cut in the night. Feeling thoroughly spooked this morning.

• Like 1

Posted

Absolute carnage here. Was just about to leave for school and as I'm in walking through the hallway, a monster of a gust smashes a large window upstairs and flings glass everywhere. Was just walking past it a few minutes before as well, could've been seriously injured there. Decided not to go to school today haha. Posted Image

It's been really strange so far; it was very windy when I got up but there weren't any huge gusts at least. However, in the last couple of hours the wind has become less sustained, but every twenty minutes or so, a monumental gust happens out of nowhere. 

I can second that! I work in Kilncraigs building with all that glass, really scary to see it bending with the bigger gusts. Exciting stuff, glad your safe!

• Like 1

Posted

Just heard that there was a recorded gust at 102mph at Glenochil in Clackmannanshire this morning. The wind will just be squeezed thrugh the carst!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Glen Ogle showing a gust of 106 Mph at last observation BTW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Ah, Wee Coonty gettin' a pastin'! Stay safe and away from the windaes at Kilncraigs!

• Like 1

Posted

Ah, Wee Coonty gettin' a pastin'! Stay safe and away from the windaes at Kilncraigs!

Thats just blue sky coming over and the winds seeming to be less intense now, still gusty but maybe thats the back edge away through!