Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I can think of various reasons why some prefer grey drizzly weather to bright frosty weather, e.g. people whose day consists of driving to and from work and spending the rest of the day cocooned indoors, where drizzle is just a minor inconvenience whereas frost can make the roads more slippery and dangerous, or people who struggle to keep warm due to expensive central heating.  It would be a very tall order to get me to welcome grey drizzly weather or consider bright frosty weather unwelcome, but then again, I enjoy watching snooker, Formula One and Match of the Day while some others find them extremely dull to watch, and I find Big Brother dull but many others love it.

I have to admit to a feeling that when I see cold/snow fans suggesting to the fans of milder winters, "How could you possibly prefer X to Y?", it makes them as bad as those who say the same about those who enjoy frosty snowy winters, or watch certain types of sport rather than others- it doesn't help matters.

This winter is proving something of a test for cold/snow fans though and this is probably why we're getting these heated debates- today was only the second night of the meteorological winter quarter in which I had an air frost, which is particularly unusual for this part of the Vale of York, just a few miles away from the notorious frost hollow in Topcliffe.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

If the models have been so inconsistent over the last week why are we writing off anything beyond day 4 is beyond me? I for one am looking forward to a flip back to cold synopsis. Remember how many runs did we have showing an easterly or cold weather last week for the end of this week coming? Balance in our arguments people not flapping over a couple of runs. PS still waiting for the dead cert barttlet that was odds on to take hold of things for months on end before christmas??

• Like 1

Posted

I can think of various reasons why some prefer grey drizzly weather to bright frosty weather, e.g. people whose day consists of driving to and from work and spending the rest of the day cocooned indoors, where drizzle is just a minor inconvenience whereas frost can make the roads more slippery and dangerous, or people who struggle to keep warm due to expensive central heating.  It would be a very tall order to get me to welcome grey drizzly weather or consider bright frosty weather unwelcome, but then again, I enjoy watching snooker, Formula One and Match of the Day while some others find them extremely dull to watch, and I find Big Brother dull but many others love it.

I have to admit to a feeling that when I see cold/snow fans suggesting to the fans of milder winters, "How could you possibly prefer X to Y?", it makes them as bad as those who say the same about those who enjoy frosty snowy winters, or watch certain types of sport rather than others- it doesn't help matters.

This winter is proving something of a test for cold/snow fans though and this is probably why we're getting these heated debates- today was only the second night of the meteorological winter quarter in which I had an air frost, which is particularly unusual for this part of the Vale of York, just a few miles away from the notorious frost hollow in Topcliffe.

Quite agree TWS, theres no need for anyone to have a go at anyone for liking mild drizzly weather or cold  frosty weather, we all have our favourite weather types and it matters not if that's mild or cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny

I agree. I don't doubt the preferences of others, but I do find it unusual that someone would prefer drizzle to snow. Drizzle is just a useless weather occurrence that makes everyone angry. Snow at least makes some people happy - especially children, but even adults turn into children when snow falls - a day off work sledging with the kids.

Speak for yourself, when it snows then my workload triples, so whilst I fully appreciate that there are weather types for everyone, not all of us get a day off when the white stuff arrives, so the longer it stays away the better from my point of view. Dry & cold yes, but then the coldies on here are never satisfied with 'just' cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Hi guys and Gals

just wanted to share my own personal thoughts for the day.

I have to say that after watching Battered Britain just now. I have stopped wishing for snow and in particular a prolonged cold spell. The further damage it could do for some of those worst hit areas, especially if flood waters froze could be truely devastating.

So I think it is time to put aside out love of cold and snow and think of those hit by this winters freak weather. Don't get me wrong I love cold and snow but........

Hope that gives some of you food for thought.

Katie

post-12795-0-84336100-1389529464_thumb.j

Edited by Katiewombat
  • Like 2

Posted

Speak for yourself, when it snows then my workload triples, so whilst I fully appreciate that there are weather types for everyone, not all of us get a day off when the white stuff arrives, so the longer it stays away the better from my point of view. Dry & cold yes, but then the coldies on here are never satisfied with 'just' cold.

That's like wanting  warmth without the sun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

That's like wanting  warmth without the sun.

That's a great way of putting it. Cold without snow is almost a waste of time, but I'll take a snowless 1C with sunshine over a snowless 10C with sunshine.

*looks at tonight's runs*

Posted Image

That's the end of that wild-goose chase then, it never looked likely considering how quickly it appeared and the huge scatter in ensembles and from run to run. The zonal express barely skips a beat, a 2-3 days of stalling depressions instead of them rattling through is the only difference, then back we go.

• Like 2

Posted

I wonder if it's going to be another 'spring' winter? We get to March and the jet stream slumps down around the mid latitudes and we end up begging for warmth?

It is frustrating, but I don't think we've reverted to pre-2007 winters as yet, just look how long it took for summer to get here, I mean, we still had snowdrifts in early May!!!

1947 didn't really get going until february did it, so it's not all that bad yet. And it's only been just over 8 months since the last snowfall, so still all to play for, we just have to be patient.

• Like 3

I wonder if it's going to be another 'spring' winter? We get to March and the jet stream slumps down around the mid latitudes and we end up begging for warmth?

It is frustrating, but I don't think we've reverted to pre-2007 winters as yet, just look how long it took for summer to get here, I mean, we still had snowdrifts in early May!!!

1947 didn't really get going until february did it, so it's not all that bad yet. And it's only been just over 8 months since the last snowfall, so still all to play for, we just have to be patient.

I think its quite common to see very good synoptics in march/april after a mind numbingly bad winter like the one we are having to experience.

We can safely write off the next 10 days for cold and snow,after that who knows but I wouldn't be surprised to see another 2 weeks minimum of zonality esp seeing the Polar vortex looking as hideous and badly placed for us with no sign of a pattern change anytime soon.

One has to wonder if Dec and Jan are going to be snowless? The odds are slowly creeping down now imo.

About 22nd January, though December was cold and blocked with easterlies at times as well

Posted Image  Posted Image

January doesn't look good, almost a write off now but anything could happen in February at least. Some blizzards please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

If February or March can deliver some decent snow, I can overlook the horrendous first two months of winter. We all managed to overlook the pretty mundane or, in the case of February, downright crap end to winter 2010/11 (although Dec 2010 was obviously in a league of its own).

Edited by cheese

Posted

Yuck really looks like the Azores High is set to gear up for next week and drag out to the end of the month, though if this winter is anything to go by it will last till the end of Feb.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

I just want the seasons to be the right way around i.e. cold with frosts and chances of snow in winter months and long hot summers with your usual mixed bag in spring and autumn.

Alas this is the UK so it doesn't work like that 90% of the time and that is what gives us our fascination of the weather.  

We are now approaching the half way mark of winter and if the latest output is anything to go by it is grim for us coldies, however as I have stated before the models are as fickle as the forecasters and vice versa.

All still to play for with 6 weeks to go, so eyes down for the 12zs with more twists than a Chubby Checker song to comePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

06z ENS worse than the 00z with the OP on the cold side of the bunch towards the end

Posted Image

METO update pretty grim with no real mention of any cold to speak of and potentiallt heavy rain forecast for the SW ond South - all we need! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Is there anything, anything at all for coldies to look out for? Serious question.. Clock ticking..

Well there was a frost this morning Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Is there anything, anything at all for coldies to look out for? Serious question.. Clock ticking..

Next winter? Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Ahhhhh it is raining again and there's a wind springing up.

This so-called winter insists on turning its unwanted ugly autumnal visage in our direction..... again.Posted Image Posted Image  YUK!

And another day ticks by.....another day closer to writing another month of this wretched hateful season off.

ROLL ON SPRING!

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well the weather has until January 24th to produce snow. That was the first snowfall of 2006-2007 in my neck of the woods. Even January 2008 had some snow on the 11th. If that doesn't happen, this winter is going towards being worse than both of those!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

GFS 12z suggests MORE zonal trash that will destroy a few more weeks of this joke of a winter.

Posted Image

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A luke warm tease from the ECM in deep FI. won't happen but at least it could tease properly with -8 or higher rather than -4.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

normal Jan really though, our prevailing winds SW or W'ly in Jan, still hopeful for Feb snow, going with GFS here definitely 3 weeks zonal coming up, then hopefully cold

this time last year was unusual, snow just arrived, although was a thaw on monday 14th, before the best snow of 17th-18th