Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - 23/12/13 >>>

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Storm? What storm? Sorry guys, just bein' a wee bit flippant there! Bad girl! By the sounds of the other posts this one is a real beast and it would appear to be much worse than the Xmas Eve Blaw. Up here it's as calm as can be, makes a change though! Please take care everyone, you've still got the New Year celebrations to get through! Posted Image Posted Image ( Temp 3.8 and light rain here, that's nothing compared to what other are getting hammered with the noo! )

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Wet and windy here this morning as expected, but nothing extreme. Highest gust at Dyce overnight was 49Kn and the sustained wind speeds have dropped off from their peak. We must have lost power at some point overnight, probably around 2:30am as the alarm clock beside my bed was flashing and showing 5:00 when i woke at 7:50. Clock on cooker reset too and router needed rebooted due to no internet connection for the first time in months.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Morning all, couldn't get on to Nw last night,so time for a catch up.

Last night was getting pretty strong gusty wind around midnight, could hear little bits falling down the roof (probably from the ridge tiles) every now and then.

Seems very benign now.

Please let the charts be giving some hope, i've had to resort to the webcams in Buffalo this morning for mu snow fix.Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

That was bad! And SS I'm a wee bit west of you I think. Poor husband was up and doon all night hearing noises in the road but says it was pure white wi snaw most of the night then the rain started hammering on the windows and woke me as well. We usually get it from the west which is ok a sit hits the gable end of the terrace (row of 4 cottages) - but when it hits from the south or north we get it head on. I'm heading upto the sales asap to get thicker curtains, fedup of the draughts.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning. 6.1c/6c 952.9mbs/13.5mphSW. More of the same really. Can really do with a pattern change now as we appear to have had these same charts for weeks!

ETA: Looks as if they have had trouble with the servers all night. Had difficulty getting on just now again so it looks as if they are going to croak again!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning all,

Back from Prague - picked a good day for flying yesterday - sunny and calm coming into Edinburgh.

We'd a couple of hours of gales in the early hours but the worst of this one will be in Northern England (where there's an amber warning out).

Sun's out in Crail and it's 6.7c.

Looking at the stats for the month, many Scottish stations running 2-3c above average. The local anomally is +2.5c at Leuchars. http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Pouring rain again here, a day in today is called for i think (except a wee parcel return to the post office)

Chart viewing, tea and homemade cake is called for (if the Nw servers hold up!)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Can I ask if the site is slow for anyone else? My signal is really fluctuating this morning. Perhaps it's just a weather thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Can I ask if the site is slow for anyone else? My signal is really fluctuating this morning. Perhaps it's just a weather thing.

I regularly get 'service unavailable' messages since yesterday evening.

Less this morning, but still happening. Have to refresh a few times and eventually can load pages. Just applies to the forum it would seem.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Blawy here and wet.

Wind not enough to take out an empty wheelie bin though.

Fort SS is surrounded by trees though (thankfully at a safe enough distance) which shelters us a fair bit.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Been nothing at all in this neck of the woods...so the very boring theme continues....would actually welcome a bit if the storm just to have some interest....currently in tesco cafe enjoying first time alone for days....Xmas been amazing but needing a break from the hyper ness of the kids....snow would have perhaps tipped them over the edge :)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

good afternoon folks still horrible outside wet and breezy.

spotted this on twitter

Joe Bastardi â€@BigJoeBastardi 25m

NW Europe pounding sign of pattern change. ECWMF reversing to mean trough over NW europe. winter on way pic.twitter.com/hDdxkRk4PU

post-18233-0-11495400-1388148230_thumb.p

Joe Bastardi â€@BigJoeBastardi 26m

Euro pattern in below tweet not yet frigid though. Just colder version of stormy, more snows show. Blocking must develop over Greenland

Posted

still to stay breezy for many this afternoon heres the 3 o'clock forecast

post-18233-0-52966000-1388148778_thumb.p

and still some gusty winds around at 10 am

post-18233-0-88616500-1388148822_thumb.j

heres the 12 o'clock revised chart

post-18233-0-40718900-1388148917_thumb.g

and while we wait for our shot at some decent snow parts of the alps have just seen record breaking falls

weathertoski â€@weathertoski 1h

3 day storm totals from SLF. Note the 163cm in Tessin (south) 97cm above #SaasFee and 87cm above #Zermatt pic.twitter.com/oftqjxC4ac

post-18233-0-09090500-1388148801_thumb.ppost-18233-0-28153800-1388148800_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Picking up again here !

Bus hope that come off with the snow

so do I as we need to get rid of all this wind and rain and onto something more quiet and wintry

I don't usually like this guy but looking for anything that points to snow just now and with JOE B putting out his thoughts today pointing toward cold for us and now this guy doing the same I thought I would post this as it goes a little more into the pattern

this is just a snippet cos as usual with this robbing git you have to pay for the rest

Evidence Points To A Cold January Ahead For UK & Western Europe!

on December 27 |  in Rest of Europe, United Kingdom & Ireland |  by Mark Vogan |  with No Comments

The latest storm hit overnight packing wind gusts of 137 mph over Highland Scotland, 113 mph over the Cumbrian Fells and 109 mph along the Welsh coast while pressure fell to 944mb here at my house. Rather impressive. This latest system is adding nothing but more misery to an already bad situation. The second sub-945mb low in less than a week and the biggest double whammy since the 1880s.

While there’s more wind and rain on the way for Monday into New Year’s eve, the good news is, this should be the last of the really deep and damaging storms.

This type of energy takes time to wind down but it will and I am hopeful that we will see height rises north and west of the UK in the next couple of weeks which will shut down the Atlantic storm train but in turn, turning things a lot colder over Europe.

I’m not a fan of hype, providing misinformation and wish casting but I am going to provide you with more evidence which suggests to me that we have, hopefully, a much colder pattern in January.

Models of course do shift around but I’m noticing in the ECMWF   Control that we’ve lows that look to shift south as heights build initially over Russia, then Scandinavia and eventually over Greenland. Remember the CFSv2 500mb heights which has been shown frequently in recent days which shows the block developing over the arctic and the hooking up of the Alaska-Greenland and eastern Europe highs..

Below is the ECMWF   Control surface charts which show lows dropping south while heights rise across the north.

252 hrs (6 Jan)

Posted Image

Courtesy/Owned by AccuWeather Pro

now I have been looking at Greenland all along due to something I picked up in the models and I must admit myself I was starting to question if we would still get it with some of the model output showing towards Scandinavia but the pattern talked about here is possible and maybe we will see something in Scandinavia first then Greenland as this is a possible route seen in winters before and it is totally possible the hints toward Greenland were correct and we will get there and the rest is just working out the path to this through Scandinavia

either would do us but if it came to one or the other I would go for Greenland every time its not that I hate Scandinavian highs as they can deliver great for us in both snow and deep cold but they are full of dangers and easy scuppered and I just feel Greenland is the safer option.

we will just have to wait and see how we get on but a pattern change seems to be on the cards anyway and at least a shot or two at getting something cold and snowy for us cold lovers

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Not long back from a wander through the woods with the family and its not really that windy here at all now. Cloudy though with the odd spit of rain and temperature around 6C. More notable though is that the pressure here now is lower than it got during the Xmas eve storm. At Dyce on Xmas eve it bottomed out at 953.6hPa and today its hit 952.4hPa (my own weather station is currently showing 949mb).

Cold and snowy would be nice for a change now, even some good frosty cold days. Get more snow on the ski slopes and keep what they've had in the last week.

• Like 2

Posted

Cold and snowy would be nice for a change now, even some good frosty cold days. Get more snow on the ski slopes and keep what they've had in the last week.

I don't think we will have to worry about the ski slopes losing very much just now as we are in a cool down so cant see temps rising enough to melt things up there.

GFS 12z showing the goods in FI and goes with the pattern talked about in previous posts and looks a possibility of what we may see moving forward also looks a good chart for retrogression towards Greenland but that's too far ahead to be talking about just now

post-18233-0-79947200-1388163140_thumb.ppost-18233-0-59017700-1388163130_thumb.p

also good of note for the pattern moving forward are the ECM strat charts and right up to 30hpa is showing signs that we could see ridging towards Scandinavia.

post-18233-0-54491600-1388163287_thumb.gpost-18233-0-88426700-1388163286_thumb.gpost-18233-0-85902500-1388163298_thumb.gpost-18233-0-22149200-1388163298_thumb.g

where we move on after this is still really open to anything at this stage we really want to see more activity in the strat and more so an SSW to kill off the vortex but this we will just have to watch the forecasts and see what comes along but at least we are seeing some positive signs and hopefully we can build on these as we move forward through the rest of winter

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 7

Posted

looks like we are going to see our strongest winds of the day in the hours ahead but nothing really that noteworthy top gusts will probably be around 60mph.

heres the 5 o'clock initial chart

post-18233-0-95381600-1388164941_thumb.g

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crystal cold man!

Afternoon folks, 

Very mild here today with drizzle. pressure dropped into the high 940's during the last 12 hours and in the early hour's for around 20 minutes it really rattled the window's...then it just faded away as quick as it came?! snow on local hill's though.

I can confirm a wheelie bin casualty but to be honest im struggling to be flippant as iv'e just stuck my head in a paper for a wee while. damn sorry for so many people. 1000 homes water damaged and some will take 10 months or so before the family's can get in.

Sometimes you see a car with water up the top of the wheel's etc  but there are car's completely submerged in some area's!

On a lighter note I keep my fingers crossed for winter coming now!  I dont want much, just a few day's where i cant get out my drive that's all!  I need it to feel like winter because just now it's like a different season all together, i have seed's sprouting everywhere.....poppies for instance are triggered by a below freezing temp of a winter period then warmer weather of spring really kick's them off....well they are well on the way now!

Anyhoo, a wee ramble from the newbie.  Hope everyone is well

• Like 2