Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 24/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Hi Res view of tonights / tomorrow storm. Courtesy of Liam D Twitter . 

http://t.co/k9alpLClhb

Posted

Nope. Never fell below zero. Like BStE, Newmarket is a town...

So basically there is no accurate UK weather record available (apart from your own weather station) unless you live in a town. Great.

following on from your comment, there are a few websites that post local weather, follow this link

http://sandaysoft.com/maps/cumulus-map.php?pos=uk

some not too far away from you 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Hello all,

Hope you all enjoyed your christmas.

I woke up to a lovely white frost this morning,i actually didnt expect as i havnt been paying much attention latley.

Some puddles were still frozen on dog walk at 2:30 pm.

temp not risen above 5 all day and it sruggled to get there.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

It's been a purr fect day here ... the warm sunshine was enjoyed by humans and animals alike, especially the cats !

Posted Imageimage.jpg Posted Imageimage.jpg Posted Imageimage.jpg

Posted Imageimage.jpg

That looks great where did you go?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Ok..ok with all this feline talk, I thought you'd want an update on Terence the Tiger Moth CATerpiller.....

Here he is in his new, leafy vase home..

post-17085-0-78123900-1388337765_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

Ok..ok with all this feline talk, I thought you'd want an update on Terence the Tiger Moth CATerpiller.....Here he is in his new, leafy vase home..

You have taken this to a whole new level.........Like It.

Edited by Jason T
  • Like 1

Posted

Ok..ok with all this feline talk, I thought you'd want an update on Terence the Tiger Moth CATerpiller.....Here he is in his new, leafy vase home..

awww i like it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

That looks great where did you go?

Out in the back garden ..... Well not exactly but it's just up the road !! Woburn Safari Park :-)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Something that is already in the early planing stages hopefully for Spring 2014, so be ready for an invasion from some of us from the north of the Thames, we might even be able to present the snow depth cup at the meet up to the luc.y winner if any of us ever get any snow to measure  Posted Image

Evening all.

Hi Ali,

Would you still want to base a south of the Thames regional meet-up, around one of Ian Currie's talks? He's the chap that co-wrote the county weather books, that some of you might have read and a few other weather related books as well. He's also made numerous appearances on radio and tv, he also has written weather columns for many local newspapers. Tamara and I were fortunate to have an interesting few hours with him, back in November. I've since attended one of his talks based on his book, Frosts, Freezes and Fairs, at Addiscombe and he regularly performs these talks, about all sorts of weather related events, throughout our region. They really are worth going to see and he has some of his books on sale at these talks, which he's always willing to sign personally for you.

I'll be contacting him at the end of the coming week, with a view to finding out what dates would be available for our members to attend one of his talks, I'd imagine we'd be looking at early Spring now. With that in mind, it might be worth finding out how many members would be interested in coming along and trying to agree on a location that's most acceptable for members to get to, with Ian's approval of course.

Meanwhile Ian asked me to post part of an e-mail that he sent me re.the severe weather, just before Christmas, as it may be of interest to our members.

Qoute: "Perhaps you might like to mention on the Net Forum of the extraordinary rainfall in the Southeast  on Monday. I measured 71.6mm at Coulsdon on 23rd and this was my heaviest daily fall of any month on record back to 1979 when I started my station. The flooding was severe on the River Mole and I was taking some pictures for Weather eye when I did a piece too about the rainfall for Sky Television as they turned up to do a piece on the floods at Burford Bridge near Dorking. Flooding here exceeds 2000 and you have to go back to 1968 for similar scenes along the river. A bridge collapsed last night.
Last night another 8mm fell and heavy showers this morning. So it will not be long before I reach the 200mm for the month. then only December 1914 for my area will be wetter and we could exceed that as well. All this after a dry first half of December."

If any of you are interested in coming along, could you please drop me a PM and then I can give Ian an idea of numbers that would like to attend one of his talks.

Regards,
Tom.
Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Hi Ali, Would you still want to base a south of the Thames regional meet-up, around one of Ian Currie's talks?

Sounds like a great idea Tom - Mr P & I would certainly be interested in attending (subject to work and family commitments). :-) Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 3

Posted

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

heres the updated fax charts

will update them later although will be brief

but at present getting fed up with the same old tosh Posted Image

ensembles from gfs

Posted Image

still seeing something dryer from the 7th

and colder starting around the 9th onwards

although will take a little while after before snow cold shows

something for us to watch now at least

be back later

john Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

I spent a bit of time in the garden today as the sun was out with blue skys, lovely day! 

I checked out the roof tiles on my house and garage and noticed a couple had slipped a little, so sorted that out ready for the next battering tomorrow.

I also cleared my gutters out as they had filled with moss, I guess the wind has shifted it off the tiles and in to the gutter with all the rain.

The BBC seem to be playing the wind down I thought, but looking at the charts and on here it still looks pretty lively to me, up to 70mph on the coast in south east where I am anyway.

Posted

I spent a bit of time in the garden today as the sun was out with blue skys, lovely day! 

I checked out the roof tiles on my house and garage and noticed a couple had slipped a little, so sorted that out ready for the next battering tomorrow.

I also cleared my gutters out as they had filled with moss, I guess the wind has shifted it off the tiles and in to the gutter with all the rain.

The BBC seem to be playing the wind down I thought, but looking at the charts and on here it still looks pretty lively to me, up to 70mph on the coast in south east where I am anyway.

to me  they not sure Helen w  seemed to play it down perhaps  they been told to

Posted

The rough weather has really taken its toll on Birling Gap, so much of the beach has been washed away and the rest pushed up against the cliffs. Not to mention the amount of rock falls that have appeared in the past ten days!

post-1610-0-74330800-1388347843_thumb.jp

post-1610-0-43876900-1388347888_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Posted

Evening all.

Hi Ali,

Would you still want to base a south of the Thames regional meet-up, around one of Ian Currie's talks? He's the chap that co-wrote the county weather books, that some of you might have read and a few other weather related books as well. He's also made numerous appearances on radio and tv, he also has written weather columns for many local newspapers. Tamara and I were fortunate to have an interesting few hours with him, back in November. I've since attended one of his talks based on his book, Frosts, Freezes and Fairs, at Addiscombe and he regularly performs these talks, about all sorts of weather related events, throughout our region. They really are worth going to see and he has some of his books on sale at these talks, which he's always willing to sign personally for you.

I'll be contacting him at the end of the coming week, with a view to finding out what dates would be available for our members to attend one of his talks, I'd imagine we'd be looking at early Spring now. With that in mind, it might be worth finding out how many members would be interested in coming along and trying to agree on a location that's most acceptable for members to get to, with Ian's approval of course.

Meanwhile Ian asked me to post part of an e-mail that he sent me re.the severe weather, just before Christmas, as it may be of interest to our members.

Qoute: "Perhaps you might like to mention on the Net Forum of the extraordinary rainfall in the Southeast  on Monday. I measured 71.6mm at Coulsdon on 23rd and this was my heaviest daily fall of any month on record back to 1979 when I started my station. The flooding was severe on the River Mole and I was taking some pictures for Weather eye when I did a piece too about the rainfall for Sky Television as they turned up to do a piece on the floods at Burford Bridge near Dorking. Flooding here exceeds 2000 and you have to go back to 1968 for similar scenes along the river. A bridge collapsed last night.

Last night another 8mm fell and heavy showers this morning. So it will not be long before I reach the 200mm for the month. then only December 1914 for my area will be wetter and we could exceed that as well. All this after a dry first half of December."

If any of you are interested in coming along, could you please drop me a PM and then I can give Ian an idea of numbers that would like to attend one of his talks.

Regards,

Tom.

Oooh, I'd love to go. It can be an early birthday present. :) Keep us posted, Tom.
  • Like 2

Posted

lets see what tonight and tomorrow show

tonight

1am

Posted Image

south west winds increasing

chilly temps but frost unlikely

rainfall

Posted Image

dry but look whats coming from our west

at 7am

Posted Image

winds increasing

gusting 30-40 mph most areas

rainfall

Posted Image

raining for all but heavier stuff following around 8am

at 12

Posted Image

the strong south west winds effecting the far east of the region

around 8-12 the strongest winds will be felt as the south westerly flow gets tightened

and then switches to a westerly

looks likely all areas the winds between 40 mph maybe hitting 50 mph

the far south and east of the region may see gusts up to 60 on coastal regions

rainfall

Posted Image

very heavy and prolonged

will not clear until late pm

flooding a real issue again here

as for the jet

Posted Image

Posted Image

a sting jet looks unlikely

so in short

heavy rain moving in from 8am

clearing around 5-6pm

winds picking up overnight

peaking between 8am-1pm

40-50 most areas   potential stronger gusts on south and east coasts

winds dieing down mid pm

my concern is the rain again although the wind will not help

will update the rest later

john

• Like 8

Posted

lets see what tonight and tomorrow show

tonight

1am

Posted Image

south west winds increasing

chilly temps but frost unlikely

rainfall

Posted Image

dry but look whats coming from our west

at 7am

Posted Image

winds increasing

gusting 30-40 mph most areas

rainfall

Posted Image

raining for all but heavier stuff following around 8am

at 12

Posted Image

the strong south west winds effecting the far east of the region

around 8-12 the strongest winds will be felt as the south westerly flow gets tightened

and then switches to a westerly

looks likely all areas the winds between 40 mph maybe hitting 50 mph

the far south and east of the region may see gusts up to 60 on coastal regions

rainfall

Posted Image

very heavy and prolonged

will not clear until late pm

flooding a real issue again here

as for the jet

Posted Image

Posted Image

a sting jet looks unlikely