Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 24/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Evening all. Posted Image Back from a very nice Christmas trip to Snettisham. I could keep up with the forum to a degree, but needed to be in a very decent pub to have good coverage. I'd like to have stayed there all the time, but my liver might have failed Posted Image

Watching a programme on More4, about the unusually severe storms in the UK in 2012 now. Okay right! - not to belittle people's deaths, but severe weather happens every year and the Burns' Day Storms of 1990 killed more than twice as many people in a day, than they stated as dying in weather related deaths, that year...

Edited by Steve C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Is that that Britain's deadliest storms documentary?

I'm a snow lover, but right now I'm quietly wishing for something a bit mild just up until new year Posted Image

Mum's on holiday with her cousin, and she forgot to leave the gas card for me Posted Image  so no gas!!!!!

Indoor temp is hovering around 16c right now, so I've got a fleece on and making a coffee to warm me up! 

If I'm lucky i'll be able to find the old electric heater in the loft, although last time I checked it looked like a tornado had blown through, so I doubt I can even get in there Posted Image

Edited by Essex Easterly.
  • Like 1

Posted

Looking forward to some colder weather later, things I only have when it snows include

semolina and jam

milky hot coffee and hot chocolate otherwise i have them with water

hot milky rice

hot oats with milk

hot fruit juice

hot milk on weetabix

these things don't seem right to eat unless its snowing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Is that that Britain's deadliest storms documentary?

I'm a snow lover, but right now I'm quietly wishing for something a bit mild just up until new year Posted Image

Mum's on holiday with her cousin, and she forgot to leave the gas card for me Posted Image  so no gas!!!!!

Indoor temp is hovering around 16c right now, so I've got a fleece on and making a coffee to warm me up! 

If I'm lucky i'll be able to find the old electric heater in the loft, although last time I checked it looked like a tornado had blown through, so I doubt I can even get in there Posted Image

Yes, that's it.

I'm just wishing for benign at the moment. Posted Image

The non stop stormy weather is getting tiresome for me, although the last 3 or 4 days (in daylight hours) weather has been good here. If no snow is forthcoming, I'll be looking for Spring warmth very shortly and noting increasing daylight hours. I'd like a fortnight of cold and snowy weather, as an ideal though; don't get me wrong. Posted Image

Edited by Steve C

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=317&y=147&run=18&runpara=0&col=1&type=1&ext=1

heres the gfs pressure charts

clearly struggling on the 3rd

heres the fax chart for the 2nd

Posted Image

the confusion is with the 3 lows to our north west

anything after is fi

to call anything after at present is a guess Posted Image

Edited by john pike
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

hi piggiepalace

yep Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

As ever...appreciate your updates/charts etc JP and you've clearly been a busy bee since my last post. Thank you".

Hope your flat roof is now sorted so you are not on dining room saucepan duty again  "next sesh" IYSWIM

Many tahanks

xxxx

• Like 2

Posted

hi pp

thanks

thats the problem i have a present

roof not fixed yet as no time off work until new years day

think i may need bigger bowls soon

i hope this does not effect you too bad as a lot of rain looks likely in them charts

ensembles still hinting on dryer conditions from the 7th

shame fi is on the 3rd Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just gritted here not sure why as it seems to warm for a frost, and I doubt any of these showers will start falling as snow.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Frost here, been out to the next village and very frosty out, cars all icy and gritters out too.  Expect it to be icy in the morning.

Posted

morning  i think the alarm bells should already be ringing for the storm to hit jan  6-7

post-4629-0-73297900-1388302171_thumb.pn

post-4629-0-87640200-1388302180_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Morning my lovely South/East Enders.Nice and crisp earlier whilst scrapping Wifes car for her to go to work, Oddly felt quite warm  as well. Glorious sunshine for today, Sadly though tonight could be a tad windy. At least we can hold a record for something this Winter so far, http://www.theweatherspace.com/2013/12/22/strongest-jet-stream-ever-recorded-to-bring-two-super-storms-to-united-kingdom-region-this-week-with-possible-tornadoes-in-ireland/.

The only problem with this Record it has come with a price and Christmas and new year ruined .  http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/25/storms-christmas-misery-southern-england   Deepest Sympathies to those affected.

Posted

Morning All, hope you are all well, its a cold frosty morning, clear blue sky's, enough to make you want to enjoy yourselves in the invigorating fresh air, well I am, I am being all brave and going to watch the mighty Adicks take on the missives from Sheffield, unfortunately for you cricket lovers out there another disaster, it not even worth the effort of turning on the tele with the remote.

Yesterday was a great success, the additional Christmas Day went off great, didn't take long to open the presents, and I managed to get a few laps in on the scalextrics which was fun, lamb was surperb, her indoors can cook. Only bit of aggro was trying to fit all the presents in the car when home time came round, think we / Father Christmas brought to much, my fault! Well got to yo spoil them. Had a surprise visitors turn up as well, which was nice, my boy and his girlfriend and a great aunt, so it was crowded but fun was had by all.

Have a great day, and enjoy whatever you got to do.

• Like 1

Tonight/tomorrow Storm update..

Wind first...

4am.. Winds increasing... 40-45mph inland touch high on the cast 45-50mph

Posted Image

7am winds really cranking up... 50-55mph gusts again touch higher on the coast 55-60mph

Posted Image

between 10am-midday we will see the stronger gusts... although short lived these are strong gusts!

55-60mph inland.. again touch higher on the coast 60-65mph although I think a 70mph gust could creep in...

Posted Image

Rain..

6am..

Posted Image

9am..

Posted Image

12pm..

Posted Image

3pm...

Posted Image

6pm..

Posted Image

Not liking these as it looks like the places in Surrey are to get a load more rain with everybody else... And there is more to come Posted Image

wednesday..

See the red circle... Watching this carefully... Because from this...

post-12648-0-29141400-1388304547_thumb.j

To this... 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those isobars are TIGHT!

Looking into FI... Wish I could say snow and cold crisp days but some monster storms on the runs this morning Posted Image Posted Image

Saturday 4th 

Posted Image

This is scary Monday 6th..

Posted Image

Friday 10th..

Posted Image

Sunday 12th..

Posted Image

Monday 13th.. Look at that monster coming out of Greenland...

Posted Image

So stormy Next week and for the foreseeable future...  Rain being a major issue now with Rivers so high they are so sensitive..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Where is it possible to get an accurate local temperature record? I can't afford my own weather station and thermometers seem to be made in China and break after a week.

Accuweather had my location at 6ºC with a low of 5ºC overnight on Friday/Saturday and it was supposed to have rained — BUT we had sunshine all day and the frost was still on the ground when I went for the dog walk yesterday just before sunset! Posted Image

Same again this morning — there's clearly been an overnight frost, but according to the website's it never went below 1ºC.

Posted

Where is it possible to get an accurate local temperature record? I can't afford my own weather station and thermometers seem to be made in China and break after a week.

Accuweather had my location at 6ºC with a low of 5ºC overnight on Friday/Saturday and it was supposed to have rained — BUT we had sunshine all day and the frost was still on the ground when I went for the dog walk yesterday just before sunset! Posted Image

Same again this morning — there's clearly been an overnight frost, but according to the website's it never went below 1ºC.

Try www.wunderground.com and put your location in there usually quite a few stations in different areas so you should find one near you.

Posted

Where is it possible to get an accurate local temperature record? I can't afford my own weather station and thermometers seem to be made in China and break after a week

http://www.mylocalweather.org.uk/

Morning all.

Nice and frosty this morning which is a lovely backdrop to the Christmas decorations, but still no sign of anything falling from the sky except more rain.

Keeping an eye on this at the moment:

Posted Image

Edited by Coast

I

I would use the Met Office web site, hopefully this works for your location

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/newmarket-suffolk#?tab=last24hours&fcTime=1388188800

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Try www.wunderground.com and put your location in there usually quite a few stations in different areas so you should find one near you.

Even sillier - it's supposed to have been 3.5C in Bury St Edmunds overnight. Bury St Edmunds is a town and therefore has an urban heat island effect. We're 12 miles away and there's a ground frost like yesterday - call me old fashioned, but I thought the temperature had to drop below zero for that.

http://www.mylocalweather.org.uk/

Morning all.

Mice and frosty this morning which is a lovely backdrop to the Christmas decorations, but still no sign of anything falling from the sky except more rain.

Keeping an eye on this at the moment:

Posted Image

I don't want a forecast - they've been completely wrong anyway - I want a record. Supposed to have had rain yesterday and today yet there wasn't  a cloud in the sky yesterday and it's bright sunshine today. Sorry to sound grumpy but I despair.

Edited by Iceni