Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted

I dont think this easterly is dead and buried just yet!!especially with the gfs swinging west quie a bit!!lets see what the evening output brings!!itd clearly to see though that this scandi high could bring a few surprises in the next five days or so!!maybe even some snowfall across england early to mind next week!!

Posted

End result of the ECM today is probably what those who thought laterally, envisaged yesterday evening. We have three possible height sources around day 10 - the Azores ridging northwards, the Arctic high and the Scandi high. The relative strength of each and how they interact will determine whether we will hit a cold bonanza or not. For the first time this winter we at least have bought a ticket for the lottery.

just to illustrate what you are saying-

Posted Image

unusually, the GFS is showing an uncannily similar picture, even at that range! -

Posted Image

Posted

I'm not so sure we'll see any heights over the Arctic influencing our little corner of the world, all eyes on the Azores high for me whilst which won't bring any bitter air masses this way at least it will settle things down nicely with frost becoming more widespread with time.

Posted

its obvious from the ECM mean that there are a huge split in solutions.

was just going to state the same thing, after looking through the means of ecm, gem and gefs. (plus the members on the latter).  was rather hoping for a consolidation of the arctic high on ecm. instead, we have the mean less bullish than yesterdays runs which lends more credence to the pattern remaining mobile though with colder uppers into the mix coupled with a bit more atlantic amplification. not greatly pleased to see this mobility gaining momentum, given that the apparent 'thou shall not pass to the east of the uk'  forcefield appears to be crumbling. we would then be several steps backward again with an arctic high (as we were some time ago) and waiting to see what it might do this time to try and bring a colder pattern to our shores.  the general theme would appear to me to be that the upstream amplification over the states will not hold for long enough to allow the atlantic to ridge far enough north to engage the arctic heights. too much pressure from the canadian vortex as it keeps doing little laps between husdsons and ne canada, each time depositing a new plunge of cold into the us interior but throwing out another pulse of jet streak into the north atlantic with our name on it. 

bit downbeat but thats what i'm seeing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

GFS and ECM operationals still look promising for about 10 days time, with Arctic heights linking with the Azores High and allowing LP to move cleanly SE through the UK.

However, GEM at T240 this morning shows what could happen if the Highs don't link up and LPs phase together in the North Atlantic :

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gem/runs/2014011800/gem-0-234.png?00

Fascinating period for model watching coming up I feel.

Edited by Chalk Serpent

Posted

was just going to state the same thing, after looking through the means of ecm, gem and gefs. (plus the members on the latter).  was rather hoping for a consolidation of the arctic high on ecm. instead, we have the mean less bullish than yesterdays runs which lends more credence to the pattern remaining mobile though with colder uppers into the mix coupled with a bit more atlantic amplification. not greatly pleased to see this mobility gaining momentum, given that the apparent 'thou shall not pass to the east of the uk'  forcefield appears to be crumbling. we would then be several steps backward again with an arctic high (as we were some time ago) and waiting to see what it might do this time to try and bring a colder pattern to our shores.  the general theme would appear to me to be that the upstream amplification over the states will not hold for long enough to allow the atlantic to ridge far enough north to engage the arctic heights. too much pressure from the canadian vortex as it keeps doing little laps between husdsons and ne canada, each time depositing a new plunge of cold into the us interior but throwing out another pulse of jet streak into the north atlantic with our name on it. 

bit downbeat but thats what i'm seeing.

We can only hope that the operational ECM might finally pick a colder solution that actually verifies this winter! NCEP did say a few days back that they expected the eastern USA troughing to amplify later on, hopefully thats still the case.

Edited by nick sussex

GFS and ECM operationals still look promising for about 10 days time, with Arctic heights linking with the Azores High and allowing LP to move cleanly SE through the UK.

However, GEM at T240 this morning shows what could happen if the Highs don't link up and LPs phase together in the North Atlantic :

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gem/runs/2014011800/gem-0-234.png?00

Fascinating period for model watching coming up I feel.

Yes,GEM shows what will happen if things don't go our way.

And judging by the ECM mean there are a fair number of ECM members which look very much like the GEM 0z op.

As i said,uncertainty reigns.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Interesting FI charts to be sure but the ENS only show slightly below average conditions and unsettled all the way.

Posted Image

The Op was one of the coldest members at the end and there are as many very mild runs as cold ones so uncertainty remains.

Edited by Purga
  • Like 1

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

reading  posts  above reg the  the prospects of the white stuff possible one day   Jan  27, all i can see is look west  for more  rain, floods even deep into fantasy world  no let  up in  sight

• Like 1

Posted

reading  posts  above reg the  the prospects of the white stuff possible one day   Jan  27, all i can see is look west  for more  rain, floods even deep into fantasy world  no let  up in  sight

have another look at those precipitation charts bill. "fantasy world" is showing snow all the way for much of europe and often for the UK

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest GFS 8 day temperature anomaly shows the UK starting to become cooler

Posted Image

Normal temps left, expected temps right

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Posted Image

Normal temps left, expected temps right

Posted ImagePosted Image

These charts yo yo daily SS, tomorrow they'll be showing the majority of the UK being above average.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

have another look at those precipitation charts bill. "fantasy world" is showing snow all the way for much of europe and often for the UK

Yes Bobby, A cold N/W flow bringing snowfalls  across the UK during the last week of Jan.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Is that a Ramp SS......... :-),Anyone who feared winter wasn't coming, well don't worry, I presume the "polar" opposite of the latest Express headlines will now soon be upon us, no pun intended.....

post-16760-0-23254800-1390039027_thumb.j

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

My word, if that ECM comes off, then that massive ice block over Siberia could well be heading in this direction!

• Like 1

Posted

Yes Bobby, A cold N/W flow bringing snowfalls  across the UK during the last week of Jan.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The JMA model was hinting at this but the overall trend was still of a mobile westerly set up, so any cold will be of the 1-2 day variety. I'll still take that though as compared to what we've endured thus far it will seem like nirvana.

• Like 1

Posted

i  hope  i  am wrong we all know  what happened  last time!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm 00z ensemble mean shows no end in sight to the prolonged unsettled pattern with further spells of strong winds and heavy rain interspersed with colder, showery days and with the alignment of the jet veering more wnw / ese we would have more chance of snow in places as well as occasional frosty nights with an airmass of arctic origins more often than not. The pattern does look more amplified at times with mid atlantic ridging. I think the ecm 00z mean looks promising with the high to the northeast edging closer, around T+240 hours could be the time when our non existent winter finally catches fire.

post-4783-0-69107900-1390039112_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-56343700-1390039136_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-11579500-1390039142_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-68957800-1390039156_thumb.gi

• Like 5

Posted

The JMA model was hinting at this but the overall trend was still of a mobile westerly set up, so any cold will be of the 1-2 day variety. I'll still take that though as compared to what we've endured thus far it will seem like nirvana.

Yes SI it's a start at least... Then hopefully we could be looking N/N/E.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Yes SI it's a start at least... Then hopefully we could be looking N/N/E.

As we did in Dec 2010.....Posted Image I have high hopes of a pattern change soon with winter finally showing it's teeth.

• Like 7