Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GFS op looks to be in a small cold cluster for D7-10 when those snowy charts show up:

post-14819-0-32919800-1390586054_thumb.g

It then becomes a milder outlier, so specifics wise of limited use, though synoptically upto D10 v.good.

The T240  GEFS mean highlight the propensity of poor members: post-14819-0-18399200-1390586153_thumb.p

A small cluster supporting the repeating diving undercutting lows but more are stormy, zonal rain-fest. Also a trend for HP to move closer to the UK.

By T300 (FWIW):  post-14819-0-93386100-1390586250_thumb.p

Most members split between higher pressure or zonal.

• Like 1

Posted

t144 from UKMO is out, high pressure trying to build with it comes the colder air to our east

Posted ImagePosted Image

Closer look at the 850's

Posted Image

Posted Image

Synoptic wise that chart is a thing of beauty in my view, I'm I being a little greedy when I checked out the 850's and thought " Oh is that it " when I saw  a range of -6 -> -8 over the UK. I was hoping for a little more to kick of some convection for Thames Streamer North West Kent...

• Like 2

Posted

Well a half decent UKMO @ 144hrs then.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pity we can't see the precip charts but I would imagine some decent snow showers across the east , SE, south etc. Posted Image

half decent?mate thats a beaut of a chart!!scandi high stronger than the gfs and colder uppers aswell!!undercut looking very likely on that run!!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Well, the "drip drip drip" to cold goes on, which is great to see. We thankfully still haven't had that amazing op run* that blows expectations so sky high but is ultimately unsustainable. This way, every run gets that little bit better, everything backs West a bit, any Atlantic return is delayed, and there are more blocking signals in FI.

I am convinced that the best cold and snowy spells "sneak up" on us and it's far better to lower expectations then exceed them than raise them so high that disappointment inevitably follows.

What will the ECM bring us? Another notch up the scale of wintriness hopefully Posted Image

*Edit: just seen UKMO at 144, which gets close to being that stellar run!!

Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Ladies and Gentlemen,i do believe the Russians have forgotten to close the freezer door.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Well it looks like the ECM will have to show one of "it`s coming" charts to nudge out the UKMO. Let`s roll....

• Like 1

Posted

Look at the fetch on that Easterly on the UKMO 144. Cold. Shame it's too far out to take as reliable, but the trends look great. Awaiting the ECM with interest.

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2014012412/UN144-21.GIF?24-18 Chart of the WInter from the UKMO Deep cold coming west- see where the 1040 is in central europe- those thicknesses look to be around 500 DAM .... BRRRRRRRR  S

am pretty certain steve that by then most of the uk will be covered in snow and those freezing 850s will make sure that the snow sticks around!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Eyes down 12zecm.let hope the bingo caller gives us the jackpot on this set.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Translation from Purgaspeak to NWspeak:

Half decent = 'freakin brilliant!!'

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Is there a 'danger' that if the HP builds too quickly and too strongly we'll end up just having a dry, v cold spell?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Summer Sun, are those -8 temps over central and northern england an improvement by the UKMO?

Here is the 00z run

Posted ImagePosted Image

-8 850's a lot closer tonight than they were this morning so and the pressure favours some snow in places as well so all in all big improvements for coldies

• Like 2

Posted

not sure about ukmo t144. seems a bit progressive re the block but then i guess thats what can happen with a scandi ridge. we'll see what ecm makes of it but recent ops and ens have not been so bullish about such a clean scandi high with associated easterly. to be revisited in half an hour !

Posted

Well, the "drip drip drip" to cold goes on, which is great to see. We thankfully still haven't had that amazing op run that blows expectations so sky high but is ultimately unsustainable. This way, every run gets that little bit better, everything backs West a bit, any Atlantic return is delayed, and there are more blocking signals in FI.

I am convinced that the best cold and snowy spells "sneak up" on us and it's far better to lower expectations then exceed them than raise them so high that disappointment inevitably follows.

What will the ECM bring us? Another notch up the scale of wintriness hopefully Posted Image

Re your first sentence: Thats excluding the latest UKMO run thenPosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

UKMO ends with a lovely far fetched easterly wind, not too shabby thatPosted Image

Let's hope is a certainty! Posted Image

PS: I do know what you really mean! Posted Image

Edited by Purga

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Here is the 00z run

Posted ImagePosted Image

-8 850's a lot closer tonight than they were this morning so and the pressure favours some snow in places as well so all in all big improvements for coldies

Cheers! Getting excited now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Is there a 'danger' that if the HP builds too quickly and too strongly we'll end up just having a dry, v cold spell?

Apologies to the moderators for not including model analysis in this post, but I'd suggest that those on the Somerset Levels might see that as a wonderful prospect.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2014012412/UN144-21.GIF?24-18 Chart of the WInter from the UKMO Deep cold coming west- see where the 1040 is in central europe- those thicknesses look to be around 500 DAM .... BRRRRRRRR  S

Yes but just look at that deep low about to drop through the middle stopping the Azores from spoiling the fun , AKA snowmagedon next Saturday anyone?
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Re your first sentence: Thats excluding the latest UKMO run thenPosted Image

Haha, post duly edited! Typical that the T144 chart came out as I was typing it!!

• Like 1

Note more acute look to the trough, too.

All to play for if you are a cold aficianado.

Indeed.... Time to dust of your best Mr kettley suit from Feb 1996..... ( which I believe was rain in the SW, Dry here & around 20 cms in the middle ( wiltsure/hampshire etc- I distinctly remember him saying- theres heavy snow coming down in the Channel IS as well on that forecast- I have it on tape somewhere- )

Lets hope the ECM looks like the UKMO @ 144 & then progresses with the deep cold onto 168-

as a minimum I guess UKMO 168 would show -8c into England & -10/-12 into denmark etc..

fancy showing us the 168 tonight when it lands...

S

• Like 9

Posted

Anything on the ecmwf?any better on than the ukmo in the earlier time frames?

Out to 96hrs

Posted Image

Posted Image

Difficult to say if 'better' at this stage - others can comment better for sure. Posted Image

Posted

Indeed.... Time to dust of your best Mr kettley suit from Feb 1996..... ( which I believe was rain in the SW, Dry here & around 20 cms in the middle ( wiltsure/hampshire etc- I distinctly remember him saying- theres heavy snow coming down in the Channel IS as well on that forecast- I have it on tape somewhere- ) Lets hope the ECM looks like the UKMO @ 144 & then progresses with the deep cold onto 168-as a minimum I guess UKMO 168 would show -8c into England & -10/-12 into denmark etc..  fancy showing us the 168 tonight when it lands... S

steve any comments on the ecm?