Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 15/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Rivers may be going down and stuff but the water in my garden is coming up at a rate of knots! The sandbags are now failed and water is coming under them and is higher the sandbag side than ever before.. It's about 2-3 feet deep at the end of the garden now..

Oh no Surrey, what a continuing nightmare for you and your family. I hope things improve soon for you.
  • Like 2

Posted

thursday

Posted Image

again changed from yesterday

a breezy but no gales westerly and chilly flow

rainfall

am raining

mid day

Posted Image

still ongoing rain

looks moderate with the odd heavier bursts late pm when the trough on the fax crosses

temps

Posted Image

around 10 degrees but later once the rain clears

temps will drop fairly quickly

Posted Image

thunder looks unlikely

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thursday night

Posted Image

after the rain has passed we will see some pretty cold air move in

a breezy but not strong west to north west wind

rainfall

Posted Image

looks dry but not convinced yet

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

all cloud related

if no cloud a frost is likely

if cloud none

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

friday

Posted Image

a breezy but again not strong north west to south west wind

rainfall

Posted Image

again looks dry

misty murky stuff on the coasts though

some sunny spells elsewhere

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks a colder one here

temps around 6-8 degrees

maybe a shade lower if you get stuck under low cloud

will update the rest later

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

Sorry to hear you are still in troubles with the flooding Surrey :-( my best to you and yours continuing to fight the rise. We are lucky Down here is not any where near what others have had to contend with. The Water table is still rising and several main roads are experiencing ground/surface flooding as well as burst mains pipes. There is a walkway/subway under one of the main roads which has now flooded which is indicative to locals there is no where left for the water to go.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Rivers may be going down and stuff but the water in my garden is coming up at a rate of knots! The sandbags are now failed and water is coming under them and is higher the sandbag side than ever before.. It's about 2-3 feet deep at the end of the garden now..

Sorry to hear that Luke - bit late now but it's all down to how you lay the sandbags as to how effective they can be ....http://www.hounslow.gov.uk/sandbags.pdf
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear that Luke - bit late now but it's all down to how you lay the sandbags as to how effective they can be ....http://www.hounslow.gov.uk/sandbags.pdf

As it is ground water I think they are useless now.. My garden is ruined we spent nearly £3000 on the lawn few years back its now 3-4 inches of thick mud.. it's risen about 2" today..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

ECMWF suggest another big storm 25th February.

Does it?

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

hi lassie

heres the 25th

Posted Image

kink on the isobars but will go to the south of us

however this is more for watching

at 216

Posted Image

then at 240

Posted Image

to far to comment on but follows last nights run

but if the low right out west weakens we could see an atlantic block

also we have an east-south east on that chart

gfs 12z ensembles

Posted Image

note the 28th still has the colder ensembles there

and showing a lot dryer

maybe people have given up on winter too soon ?????????

note the gfs main run loses the plot on the 2nd of march

• Like 1

I'm not pleased with your news, so my 'Like' is a sympathy vote, not I'm glad your garden is slowly flooding. We should be given Bad News/Good News buttons Re: The lawn. Rake it over as soon as it's dry enough and get a pack of grass seed. Early spring to late spring is the ideal time, or early autumn (September) to sow. You'll have some seriously good turf there now for it and won't need levelling. Promise by end of July, beginning of August you'll have  a decent looking lawn again. I was amazed how quickly our seeded lawns matured - literally a few months. Much cheaper than re turfing.

Thanks for the heads up :) the issue is though, you step on the ground.. A 2" hole where you step is made the shape of your boot, within 2 minutes it's filled with water and this is on the land that is not flooded!! It will take months for the water levels to go down to even begin to think about sorting it out :( and I want somwhere to lay in summer and chill out!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Thanks for the heads up Posted Image the issue is though, you step on the ground.. A 2" hole where you step is made the shape of your boot, within 2 minutes it's filled with water and this is on the land that is not flooded!! It will take months for the water levels to go down to even begin to think about sorting it out Posted Image and I want somwhere to lay in summer and chill out!!

If you leave any foot prints, cut a bit of turf from somewhere else and plonk it in the hole and tread it in.... but it's obviously not dry enough for anything yet.

You will need to let it dry out for a couple of months or with the right weather 6 weeks. Best answer is to leave it be and let it dry. Put a Keep off the Swamp sign up.

My husband dug a 3 ft trench from the garage to the house to put the electricity cable in (in March 10 years ago) - I was heartbroken about it but 2 months later, you couldn't see a thing.

If you need somewhere to chill, why not do a little gravelled area and put your loungers there - I don't like sunbathing on the lawn as there are too many creepy crawlies about and also it's a pain having to move all the garden furniture every time you mow.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

SNOW!

OK just kidding, dry and benign here, after all the wind and rain I am not complaining.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

As it is ground water I think they are useless now.. My garden is ruined we spent nearly £3000 on the lawn few years back its now 3-4 inches of thick mud.. it's risen about 2" today..

That's awful, Luke. Hope things improve for you and yours soon. Best wishes to you. :)

Posted

Dissent get any thunder or lightning here.

Hope it isn't windy as just got a call from our neighbour that a 60ft conifer is being cut down as it is about to fall down. Some of its root r allready showing :( our new fence that was installed last year and was expensive is in the fall area as well as our shed with mower, freezer and garden tools inside. Also our dog kennel is in the fall area as well so pls no strong winds.

Edited by Tom Jarvis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Just saw a couple of rats in my garden, wonder if they have been forced out of the sewers by all the rain.

• Like 1

Posted

A large funnel cloud in the thunderstorms over Hedge End, Southampton this evening between 17:00-18:00hrs

post-10773-0-76222400-1392756907_thumb.j

There is also a video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=naq7mXBmflE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dnaq7mXBmflE%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Hints of spring today with warmish sun and loud birdsong.

Posted

cor fax charts are early tonight

saturday

Posted Image

a breezy westerly flow

again not strong

Posted Image

chilly but not too cold around 8 degrees

showers very early but quickly clearing

more rain about but should hit us overnight and will move quickly too

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sunday

Posted Image

starts dry

a gusty and at times quite strong south west wind

should stay dry until the cold front to our east crosses us late in the day

not cold

the low looks to go north east and not effect us directly again

this is subject to change still

Edited by john pike

Posted

With the strange, unusual and unwelcome weather patterns of the last few years, people are worried, – and they have every right to be, as all types of extremes are suddenly been thrown at us – creating havoc for farmers, fishermen, those in coastal areas and hundreds of thousand of home owners, not to mention commuters.

So the question everyone is asking is, what the hell is going on ?

http://realityweather.eu/gone-wrong-weather/

Thanks for the kind words you lovely lot :) I have a huge patio but that too is taking a battering as it's sinking around the soak away with all the water trying to get out.. Not world class but not the end of the world (yet)

Went out this evening to burger king with dad and first time I have been out other than work.. My god the damage Fridays storm left, trees down still on the side of the road, sign posts with the sign up against it awaiting repair.

I do think something happened at around 1-2am that caused a dramatic yet local increase in wind, as I have never seen such local damage.. Perhaps a microburst or tornado? As at one point when the power went out.. It sounded as if the wind was going to blow out the windows and the rood hatch even got sucked up into the loft!

Mental.. Would love to see it again.. But with no damage this time :)

• Like 4

Posted

Hello all

Has anyone heard form Coast (Robin)? I tried to send a PM but can't. I miss his posts and presence here.

Earlier it was raining gently in Reigate, but now it's damp and still.

Sunday in Brighton was uplifting, people emerged from rain-sodden and wind-blasted hunkering to walk on the beach, smile at each other, stretch limbs, shake off greyness and reach out to sunlight. We sat in the gardens that are shared by the residents of the square, late afternoon, and the sun was forcing its way through the slowly decaying leaves and branches of a huge tree that had been knocked to the ground on Friday night. As the slow breeze moved the remains it looked oddly alive despite being at 90 degrees to its normal standing, families and lone walkers were drawn to it like looking at the body at a wake, pausing, fascinated, though the difference here was that lots of children clambered all over it leaping off the branches and laughing, the tree still giving something wonderful even as it lay exposed and gone, its roots out of its nourishment, it's days slowly ending. It will, for years, leave its scars and its marks on the land, even when there is nothing really left.

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

With the strange, unusual and unwelcome weather patterns of the last few years, people are worried, – and they have every right to be, as all types of extremes are suddenly been thrown at us – creating havoc for farmers, fishermen, those in coastal areas and hundreds of thousand of home owners, not to mention commuters.

So the question everyone is asking is, what the hell is going on ?

http://realityweather.eu/gone-wrong-weather/

The new mini ice age approaches,Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2