Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 27/2/14 18z----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

No Madness... Just Mildness now.. Glad to see the back of all that heavy rain. 5.4c with 3.5c in the shade. Partly cloudy  and calm..

Posted

A bit of a shame as it's clouded over now, but it was beautiful earlier by the river.

post-7340-0-70715500-1394012243_thumb.jp

post-7340-0-46459800-1394012270_thumb.jp

post-7340-0-26526700-1394012287_thumb.jp

Lovely cloud structures stretching as far as I could see, North to South. A couple of holes punched through them too.

First and third are looking West towards the sunrise. Second snap facing South towards Downton. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A low of -1℃ this morning.

Currently 7℃ and a few sunny spells, quite cloudy at times though.

I was just having a peep at the MO app, while we have the GFS pointing towards a heatwave, the MO go for a mostly cloudy weekend here with temps around 11 or 12℃, that sounds exactly like what I had through January and February :lol:

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Had some Altocumulus floccus here earlier as well but now total cloud with 8/8 As, some Sc and small Cu. Temp 8.0C

post-12275-0-62800700-1394017303_thumb.j

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

I was just having a peep at the MO app, while we have the GFS pointing towards a heatwave, the MO go for a mostly cloudy weekend here with temps around 11 or 12℃, that sounds exactly like what I had through January and February Posted Image

I was a bit miffed at this too. My thoughts were shifting towards shorts, t-shirts and pub gardens.  Not too fussed about the temps, but let's see some sunshine eh?

Had some Altocumulus floccus here earlier s well but now total cloud with 8/ As, some Sc and small Cu. Temp 8.0C

Altocumulus Floccus - Excellent... I did consult 'The Cloudspotter's Guide', for a name but was a bit pushed for time. Everyday's a school day on NW Posted Image

Posted

On 11.8c in the sunshine..  Go in the shade and the sensor there reads 9.0c.

Posted

Lovely cloud structures stretching as far as I could see, North to South. A couple of holes punched through them too.

Lovely photos John, perfectly capturing the morning I enjoyed when out working. There was a stunning sunrise just before 07.00 due to the same types of Altocumulus. Plenty of hazy sunshine in and around the cloud.

Stop Press ; 2 dry days in a row too!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

A bit of a shame as it's clouded over now, but it was beautiful earlier by the river.

Posted ImageIMGP0135_sm.jpg

Posted ImageIMGP0136_sm.jpg

Posted ImageIMGP0137_sm.jpg

First and third are looking West towards the sunrise. Second snap facing South towards Downton. Posted Image

Can anyone explain the first photo you took how that hole appears. Is it cloud seeding?

Posted

Can anyone explain the first photo you took how that hole appears. Is it cloud seeding?

Can't explain it, but in the third photo there are two. The hole on the left is the one captured in the first image.

Edit - Not quite seeding Posted Image , but mechanical by the looks of it....

But it's good news for people like Gavin Pretor-Pinney, founder of the Cloud Appreciation Society and author of The Cloudspotter's Guide.

A hole-punch cloud (also known as a fallstreak hole) can be so strange-looking that people have mistaken them for flying saucers, Pretor-Pinney says.

"You see photographs of them and you do think, ah there's something strange there," he says. "That's not natural."

And hole-punch clouds are not natural. Like contrails, hole-punch clouds are produced by airplanes. But that doesn't make these clouds any less attractive or intriguing, Pretor-Pinney says.

I've got the book here, but can't see any reference to the above as yet.

Edited by jtay
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Haven't posted since December, but I'm glad to be back discussing the weather, a few days ago my work experience at the met office has been confirmed so great! But yeah the first real frost here today in a while, though never felt very chilly out when walking to school.

Posted

Lovely start to the day here and frosty morning after a low of -2.3°C, then it warmed up nicely through the morning with a noticeable strength to the sun which was nice rather than working out in the damp and rain, the sunny intervals remained with us until the first part of the afternoon when the cloud started to thicken but still had some sunny intervals throughout the afternoon with a top temp of 12.3°C, clouded over completely now with a temp of 9.2°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Haven't posted since December, but I'm glad to be back discussing the weather, a few days ago my work experience at the met office has been confirmed so great! But yeah the first real frost here today in a while, though never felt very chilly out when walking to school.

Well done you, keep us all informed and do stick around when you can.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Frosty with a beautiful red sky just after half six this morning.  A stunning day on the coast at Abbotsbury with a great selection of clouds followed by an unexpected colouring of the sky after sunset this evening.

post-8165-0-36242200-1394053285_thumb.jp

post-8165-0-05498900-1394053306_thumb.jp

post-8165-0-39808500-1394053331_thumb.jp

post-8165-0-92043000-1394053344_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted

So far (so far!!) we're on for the 3rd dry day in a row, something which hasn't happened since early December! The sporadic rain has missed Warminster on its' very slow journey ENE in the last few hours so I wonder if the next showery batch will do likewise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

So far (so far!!) we're on for the 3rd dry day in a row, something which hasn't happened since early December! The sporadic rain has missed Warminster on its' very slow journey ENE in the last few hours so I wonder if the next showery batch will do likewise.

Are you specifically tempting fate! Looks like the rain will get there soon...

Posted

Mainly Cloudy. 8.9c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

You know I could have sworn on the national forecast I watched earlier it said any rain would be light and patchy this afternoon in this part of the country, it chucked it down here a little bit earlier, just a 10 minute walk in town and I am soaked to the skin!

• Like 1

Posted

Are you specifically tempting fate! Looks like the rain will get there soon...

No not trying to tempt fate, just expecting the inevitable! Drizzly now although barely anything.

You know I could have sworn on the national forecast I watched earlier it said any rain would be light and patchy this afternoon in this part of the country, it chucked it down here a little bit earlier, just a 10 minute walk in town and I am soaked to the skin!

Judging by the NW Radar parts of the Bristol Channel coast have had around half an inch today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Indeed. I came back from Egham to Yatton this afternoon and it has been a wet one here this afternoon! I haven't checked how much rain but it certainly rained heavily for a while. Looks like a gradual clearance through tomorrow with a nice weekend to follow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yep 10.2c here now, could be a good day for spotting some of those first emergent insects, perhaps some butterflies for a lucky few. Has to only exceed 11.5c to become my warmest day of the year, succeeding that achieved on the 6th of January.