Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Same here - I take it your in Chelmsford? here on the coast you'd expect some cooling but we've had plenty of 25c days over the last week or so even when the synoptics hasn't looked like delivering so. Going to turn out a very warm summer!

No I am in west London now at 26c so knocking on the door of 80f again.

• Like 1

Posted

and another horrible humid day here, we are long overdue a cool spell now

Yes it really has gotten beyond a joke now. Can't remember when I last didn't feel lethargic,clammy,headachey and generally miserable. Probably some time in April.

• Like 3

Posted

So far I would rate this summer as the best since 2006 (but certainly not equal to 2006) more of a 2005 in terms of dry sunny warm conditions, last summer provided a wonderful July, though June was pleasant but often cool and cloudier, whilst August was very average with no prolonged warm settled sunny conditions here.

However, we have August still to go and a predominantly unsettled one with temps average at best would lead me to rate the summer on a equal par with last year as it would cancel out the better June and return evens with last August, but a cooler than normal month would push it slightly lower than summer in rankings. Overall though it looks like ending up one of the better ones of the last 20 years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think ex-hurricane Bertha looks like being tied in with a change that will de-rail my repeated suggestion of a changeable but warm August with frequent southerly winds.  Although the track of the depression is uncertain, there is strong evidence that the Atlantic trough will drift eastwards during the coming 10 days, introducing a cooler west to north-westerly type.  However, whether it will be mostly dull and wet, or bright and showery, after the wet day on the 10th, is uncertain as it depends on the amount of secondary low development.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I'm still going for washout Sunday, trend seems to be to move storm through earlier, so western areas could be dry by 9am, (my area 10am), seems wrong and too good to be true

Posted

It feels this summer's had much more warmth and sunshine overall than 2013 in my neck of the woods. I've recorded 18 days of >25C so far, with only 4 days in July having a max of <20C and 0 days so far this month!

I installed my weather station last September so can't compare statistically; however I seem to remember July 2013 having more cool days than this year, but wasn't the 2013 heatwave more intensive? I'm sure there were more days in the high 20s/low 30s than this summer.

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm still hoping for another day of temps in the high 20s/low 30s this summer so I can record the first 30 on my station - having 'only' managed 28.9 so far. :p

Edited by h2005uk
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Could be the last warm and pleasant day for some time by the look of things. 

18-19c forecast over the next week with quite a bit of rain. Not a nice thought. 

Posted

Could be the last warm day for some time by the look of things. 

18-19c forecast over the next week with quite a bit of rain. A nice thought. 

An alternative view of things. See what I did there?

• Like 1

Posted

Its been a wet start to August in the Lake District - 3 days of incessant rain 1st-3rd quickly put pay to the month ending up a dry one. Tomorrow could easily deliver a couple of inches here - so before we hit mid month we will already be above average. Its been a long while since we have seen a notably dry August.

Unlike period Feb-June, daily totals of an inch or above can easily be achieved in August here from frontal atlantic onslaughts. I never rate August it traditionally marks the start of the Lake District's 'wet season' which doesn't let up until February bar the traditional hiccup in early September.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its been a wet start to August in the Lake District - 3 days of incessant rain 1st-3rd quickly put pay to the month ending up a dry one. Tomorrow could easily deliver a couple of inches here - so before we hit mid month we will already be above average. Its been a long while since we have seen a notably dry August.

Unlike period Feb-June, daily totals of an inch or above can easily be achieved in August here from frontal atlantic onslaughts. I never rate August it traditionally marks the start of the Lake District's 'wet season' which doesn't let up until February bar the traditional hiccup in early September.

I was going to go camping there this month, good job i opted for the drier surroundings of the Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire border instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

After a very warm June and July it looks like temperatures will be closer to normal for the rest of August according to Chris Fawkes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.

wow they got that very wrong, no wind whatsoever here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.

It feels this summer's had much more warmth and sunshine overall than 2013 in my neck of the woods. I've recorded 18 days of >25C so far, with only 4 days in July having a max of <20C and 0 days so far this month!

I installed my weather station last September so can't compare statistically; however I seem to remember July 2013 having more cool days than this year, but wasn't the 2013 heatwave more intensive? I'm sure there were more days in the high 20s/low 30s than this summer.

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm still hoping for another day of temps in the high 20s/low 30s this summer so I can record the first 30 on my station - having 'only' managed 28.9 so far. :p

Here july was nowhere near as bad as last year, july in 2013 was brutal.

But august 2014 is defenitly hotter (Worse) then august 2013.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

give it an hour or two, the low should be directly overhead at the moment.

Posted

Looks like i picked a reasonable time to go camping next weekend with a ridge of high pressure building in.

Posted

If things get any calmer around here, all molecular motion will cease and absolute zero will be upon us leading to the extinction of all life and the world itself. Expecting things to buck up later tho'...

Posted

it's windy here atm, but its dry, warm and sunny, so much for this autumnal like weather we are mean't to be having

Posted

You'd swear Autumn had come early here. Fast and piercing wind and it feels a bit chilly. Fine, it's 9:30 here but when I was walking up the road two hours ago, if you didn't know what month you were in, you'd think it was October. 

I hate this weather. Hopefully Summer gives us some more heat before Autumn encroaches on us. Horrible thought. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 2

Posted

I want to get to the beach before the summer is out. And i mean being able to wear shorts and tshirt and it be warm enough to sit comfortably on the beach and go in the sea. Usually that requires about 21c or more in a light breeze. If high pressure manages to position itself favourably for the last third of the month then that might be possible.

• Like 2

Posted

I want to get to the beach before the summer is out. And i mean being able to wear shorts and tshirt and it be warm enough to sit comfortably on the beach and go in the sea. Usually that requires about 21c or more in a light breeze. If high pressure manages to position itself favourably for the last third of the month then that might be possible.

I've virtually written off any serious heat for the rest of the Summer. Also, the longer we go, the lower the UV levels are. I love around 25c and low wind, can't see that happening. 

I'm sure we'll get the odd day or two around 23c. But any real heat? Just can't see it. 

Posted

Horrible reminder of what's ahead today! Really not looking forward to the onset of autumn & then winter eeuugghh!

I feel your pain. I'd give anything to have back what we had in July. 24-28c, low wind and sunshine. Bliss. 

Just getting really tired of August ruining the show. I know Summer is not yet over, but we are now in the peak warmth of the continent and if this low pressure etc holds on for too long then any chance of a sustained settled and warm/hot spell is all but gone. 

Just hope that September comes to rescue again and gives us some settled warm weather to end the Summer. As much as I love June, I'd probably take a warm/hot August into September over a nice June. I hate Summer ending on a bad note as you go into Autumn. 

• Like 2