Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted

I've virtually written off any serious heat for the rest of the Summer. Also, the longer we go, the lower the UV levels are. I love around 25c and low wind, can't see that happening. 

I'm sure we'll get the odd day or two around 23c. But any real heat? Just can't see it. 

September sometimes reaches the high 20s (and maybe even 30) though, at least in the south-east. One of the BBC TV forecasts earlier in the summer mentioned how the last 30C was last September, so 2013 is a good example.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Must admit I quite enjoyed today with some torrential rain, a minor T storm, and now clear skies, a fresh wind, and a genuine nip in the air. Not too downhearted at the trough-dominated outlook either as I'm off to Menorca friday week: yee-hah :-)

Hopefully, I'll return to some classic mid-September warmth then Autumn can bring its misty russet-hued joys (I should cut down on the Sunday night vin rouge, perhaps).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Considering the UK has seen almost 40c on this exact day (38.5), then that suggests the potential to reach 30c is there for some time yet. :)

And then come the equinox, at least we then get closer to the days lengthening again than we are from when they began to shorten in terms of daylight. :)

Posted

gotta admit it felt quite cool when i was out a couple of hours ago, i feel a bit sorry for summer fans that this cool weather has come right in peak holiday season but they shouldn't forget the good weather we had in june and july and maybe expecting August to be the same is just too much of an ask, if 2 out of the 3 winter months were below average i'd want them to be December and February 

• Like 2

Posted

Gaaah, all you lot moaning about a drop o' rain after the calamitous summer I've endured. Truly, today has been spectacularly good for August - even the wind has arrived and the rain has returned, splashing noisily against my window. Love it - gonna have a nip of whisky, don the heavy coat and head off into the night. Gotta make the most of what we get, seeing as normal summer service will soon resume - at least for a little while.

• Like 2

Posted

The way things are panning out, it looks as though August could be the wettest month of the summer for England and Wales.

That's a certainty now. 51mm up to the 9th and that doesn't include any of the totals from yesterday. Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

First post on here, so be gentle with me!

out for a walk this morning and there was a distinct autumnal feel - post high winds though so maybe it's just that.

In saying that though there are signs of things being "on the turn" there are some trees with leaves showing yellow, some of the bracken is turning and nettles are dying back. Blackberries seem ready a touch earlier than usual.

It was quite wet overnight too, becks running well!

• Like 1

Posted

Smelt bonfire smoke the other day, that was my first "Autumn Prang."

Just waiting for the sun to drop to that angle in the sky and the light level to alter and I will begrudgingly welcome Autumn.

First post on here, so be gentle with me! out for a walk this morning and there was a distinct autumnal feel - post high winds though so maybe it's just that. In saying that though there are signs of things being "on the turn" there are some trees with leaves showing yellow, some of the bracken is turning and nettles are dying back. Blackberries seem ready a touch earlier than usual. It was quite wet overnight too, becks running well!

welcome to netweather ,was in coniston yesterday !!.....

Posted

Energised from last night's walk in the rain, I was up bright and early today to be greeted by a wonderfully fresh, breezy morning. Decided to get the mo'bike out and take advantage of the moment before the roads became cluttered with commuters. I'd done 70 miles before most folk would have had breakfast, such was the fun I was having. Only a week ago, riding the bike in helmet and leathers was an unpleasant experience - today's outing was so comfortable and with such perfect conditions that the essence of motorcycling was crystallised flawlessly in that short time. For the first time since the start of this summer I actually felt alive and with the acute awareness of bright red blood pumping thru' every vein - motorcyclists everywhere will relate to that special feeling. Pulled up at one point by the shores (?) of Winscar reservoir and by God it was Autumn 100% there. So utterly compelling was the idea that summer had fully deserted that place at that moment that I instinctively started looking for psilocybes - a trait of mis-spent youth which hasn't fully gone away. My failure to find any reminded me of the tricks nature is capable of pulling and that it was indeed still summer, and autumn had briefly visited that place just for me at that moment - a sneak preview of what's to come. Summer hasn't quite done with us yet and I've a horrible feeling that there may be a nasty surprise or two to come, but I don't care that much anymore - I tasted the promised land this morning, and it was beautiful.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Its started to feel like Autumn at night and early morning but the sun is still much too strong.

Yesterday did remind me of early November though.

• Like 1

Posted

yes it only felt like autumn yesterday evening to me as it was quite cool, the strong winds we are having right now doesn't make it autumnal they get hurricane's in america in summer i bet they don't say it feels like autumn 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Autumn is the season that leaves fall off and it is significantly cooler and you don't tend to take off your coat...it is not autumn!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Autumn is the season that leaves fall off and it is significantly cooler and you don't tend to take off your coat...it is not autumn!!!

nobody said it is autumn, they correctly said that at certain times of the day it is like autumn, which it is.

anyway, some leaves are falling, addmittedly the older ones which have fullfilled their use, you should see my back lawn, covered in buddlia leaves! but autumn doesnt start with a significant drop it temps.... they just gradually and unevenly decline

Posted

It certainly feels like autumn here,leaves have been falling for the last 10 days but as June and July were great here  there is no reason for me to complain. Chucking it down here at present.

Posted

when we have cool, wet windy weather in may or june no one says it feels like autumn they just moan the weather is horrible, but just cos we are in august it's easy to get carried away and think it's like autumn as autumn is next month, right now it don't feel like autumn as its 19c here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Never known so many showers in a summers day and safe to say its rather cool. Really feeling like autumn today and this week doesn't look like much of an improvement.

Posted

Pulled up at one point by the shores (?) of Winscar reservoir and by God it was Autumn 100% there. So utterly compelling was the idea that summer had fully deserted that place at that moment ....

Nah it's still summer unfortunately, but I now know where and when to go to a place not too far away when the going gets tough, where the location/geography and flora combine to produce a stunning illusion that autumn is here. Still, it'll only be a few weeks before that place is no longer special as everywhere else will have joined in the fun.

Posted

when we have cool, wet windy weather in may or june no one says it feels like autumn they just moan the weather is horrible, but just cos we are in august it's easy to get carried away and think it's like autumn as autumn is next month, right now it don't feel like autumn as its 19c here

Yes - there's a tendency to think autumn's on its way in August if the weather's naff and the forecast doesn't look great (and it wasn't helped for me yesterday when I saw a charity shop kitted out with full Christmas display, plus a trailer for X Factor on TV!).

Judging from recent posts on here, I think I'm now obliged to say "oh well it was good while it lasted, can't complain...".

Posted

Wonder summer blizzard whether the declining solar activity has something to do with our current set up?

Fairly moderate at the moment (but weaker than prior peaks). This setup is simply a case of changes in the Pacific caused by weakening Nino values in the eastern Pacific weakening the ridge to our east and being reinforced by Bertha.

Posted

Some hope in my heart for a September radiance but I won't hedge my bets. Enjoyed July, though. Yesterday - Bertha day - wasn't too bad in Somerset and after the rain went through we had a sunny if windy afternoon with very clear air and just the odd shower, much better than expected. If anything today was what we were expecting yesterday with much more rain. 

Posted

I've said a few times August traditionally marks the start of our long wet season - lasting through until February and always marks a subtle change in the feel of things for me, but more so not until the end of the month. The sun is still high and very strong, it is only on wet evenings like this evening that you start to think a bit about Autumn. There are early signs of autumn in nature, thanks namely due to the very early start to the season - consequently things are very advanced this year for this reason.

There is no denying the fact that compared to 2 months ago when everything has an air of promise and expectation for good summer times ahead, there is a subtle shift in the feel of things as we move through the middle of August - that feeling becoming much more noticeable towards the month end - I think a lot of it is down to childhood and the start of the new school season.

Indeed tomorrow marks the end of what I call 'high summer' roughly between 15th July and 12th August before we enter 'late summer' - a longer period lasting roughly until about 10th September.

• Like 1

Posted

Energised from last night's walk in the rain, I was up bright and early today to be greeted by a wonderfully fresh, breezy morning. Decided to get the mo'bike out and take advantage of the moment before the roads became cluttered with commuters. I'd done 70 miles before most folk would have had breakfast, 

i love driving late at night, the roads are calm, no sun blazing in your face, and the car doesn't feel like an oven when you get in it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

NW wind dominating from tomorrow, and in August you'd think it will feel like autumn with a NW wind with no sun away from the SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I've said a few times August traditionally marks the start of our long wet season - lasting through until February and always marks a subtle change in the feel of things for me, but more so not until the end of the month. The sun is still high and very strong, it is only on wet evenings like this evening that you start to think a bit about Autumn. There are early signs of autumn in nature, thanks namely due to the very early start to the season - consequently things are very advanced this year for this reason. There is no denying the fact that compared to 2 months ago when everything has an air of promise and expectation for good summer times ahead, there is a subtle shift in the feel of things as we move through the middle of August - that feeling becoming much more noticeable towards the month end - I think a lot of it is down to childhood and the start of the new school season. Indeed tomorrow marks the end of what I call 'high summer' roughly between 15th July and 12th August before we enter 'late summer' - a longer period lasting roughly until about 10th September.

I think there is a lot of wishful thinking by the winter lovers though to make it seem actual autumn is closer than it is. We've just enjoyed a proper summer so this comparatively feels very disappointing right now. Not really sure why late summer should be 'longer' than high summer though.
  • Like 2