Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Speaking to family and friend connections in West Sussex, they report a cracking summer so far, lots of sunshine, warmth and fairly dry conditions. Hampshire looks particularly good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Save for a few random storms I have had no real rain here since the end of May..another warm sunny day today

• Like 1

Posted

Save for a few random storms I have had no real rain here since the end of May..another warm sunny day today

Breached 25c yet again today

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I think my area has had one of the best summers a summer lover could ask for so far. Mainly hot days and the only real precipitation has been in the form of some great thunderstorms!

• Like 1

Posted

August carries on where July left off yet another day where the temperature has exceeded 25c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Matt Hugo has the first week, maybe more of August as unsettled. In that case it will be warm and dry then :yahoo:

Looking quite likely now that next week will follow the trend of the summer so far. Temperatures on the up and drying out once again will please those seaside resorts and attractions

• Like 2

Guest HectorTheAwesome

i think February is a summer month who agrees with me?

Nice joke guys. 

Now that the calendar has changed there is a definite change in the feel of the atmospheric mood - the light is different, the rain and clouds are increasing and slowly things are winding down to winter. 

But hang on a minute - I didn't change my calendar! That's 7 years bad luck!

Posted

Nice joke guys. 

Now that the calendar has changed there is a definite change in the feel of the atmospheric mood - the light is different, the rain and clouds are increasing and slowly things are winding down to winter. 

But hang on a minute - I didn't change my calendar! That's 7 years bad luck!

You are becoming known as an idiot from some of the remarks you have made in the short space of time you have been on the site. How about you try to post something constructive and model related in one of the threads?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Although today has been depressing, my god it is so much more comfortable to sleep recently!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Bored of the rain already - extremely grim afternoon and evening here with torrential downpours followed by misty low cloud, light drizzle and damp humidity. Was much nicer on Wednesday with the blazing sunshine, mid twenties, dry air and breeze. Let's hope Sunday onwards it's an improving picture as August has really started on a very bad note!

• Like 2

Posted

Bored of the rain already - extremely grim afternoon and evening here with torrential downpours followed by misty low cloud, light drizzle and damp humidity. Was much nicer on Wednesday with the blazing sunshine, mid twenties, dry air and breeze. Let's hope Sunday onwards it's an improving picture as August has really started on a very bad note!

Agreed. Cooler weather after warm weather is overrated.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

The weather does seem to have become more grumpier recently. Feels a bit like Autumn this morning with the cloudy and damp conditions outside. I'm hoping the skies will brighten later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The models have got a look about them very typical of recent Augusts. Neither here nor there. Not especially dry or especially wet. Low pressure will be up around Iceland for much of the upcoming week which will be feeding warm air up from the south but also sending some fronts across the country, especially later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well so far, August is trying its very best to ruin what has otherwise been a good summer so far. Torrential rain yesterday afternoon, more overnight and heavy showers today. Now clear and sunny but cool with a nagging wind. Would be really nice if this summer's rating doesn't take a nosedive just because of August being a failure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I swear this month is cursed weather wise. We are technically in, or nearing, the maximum warmth of the northern hemisphere, and yet it feels and looks like Autumn at times.

It always seems that exactly when August arrives, the Atlantic takes control and we are bombarded with low pressure. Long way to go, but it's not looking good so far with every passing day making the chances of another heat spell lower and lower. 

Posted

Statistics show on average at least in the NW quarter of the country, August is wetter than Feb, March, Apr, May, June and July and also much duller than May, June and July - it is therefore never a surprise here to see the atlantic gain the upper hand through the month.

Tropical storms often surface through August to disturb the atlantic and whilst the temperature gradient over the atlantic is at its lowest in August, traditionally the polar jet stirs into action and we are more often than not plagued by westerly airstreams. Of course we have seen exceptions such as 1995, but it is much more difficult to sustain settled conditions in August than at anytime between Feb - July, we are entering the wetter and more unsettled half of the year.

Posted

Well today hasn't been too bad. Rain came in the form of short, beefy showers instead of persistent, frontal 8/8 dross. Plenty of sunshine in-between with thunder late in the afternoon.

Certainly better than yesterday's grey crapola.

Posted

we need the rain anyway, if we just had a few weeks of cold weather in winter and the first two days of feb were mild it would be daft of me to moan

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Maybe the pessimism is justified for Ireland and western Scotland and Cumbria, but I'm seeing a lot of evidence that the main trough will stay stubbornly rooted to the west of the British Isles for the next week, and quite possibly for a large part of August (the MJO composites for instance keep pointing to an Atlantic trough), which will result in more frequent southerly winds than usual.  As a result, I am expecting central and eastern parts of the country to be warmer than average, and sunshine totals may well end up slightly above average in spite of a generally changeable theme. 

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

Maybe the pessimism is justified for Ireland and western Scotland and Cumbria, but I'm seeing a lot of evidence that the main trough will stay stubbornly rooted to the west of the British Isles for the next week, and quite possibly for a large part of August (the MJO composites for instance keep pointing to an Atlantic trough), which will result in more frequent southerly winds than usual.  As a result, I am expecting central and eastern parts of the country to be warmer than average, and sunshine totals may well end up slightly above average in spite of a generally changeable theme. 

Which composites are you looking at? I don't see an Atlantic trough for either amplitude.

MJO is finally on the move to  the Indian ocean - higher amplitude 3 for August is actually a very good match for where we have been during July.

Where we were in July 

Posted Image

Where we might  be going-  Posted Image

if this is right   Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yep once again, same old story, August anlong with the Atlantic's help is doing it's damned hardest to spoil a very decent summer once again. At least the first third of August is going to be crap and I can bet the rest of it will probably follow suit too. I really do think that September is a better month than August is, it's always very settled and generally warm. I would say in 2006, and then 2008-13, September has been a better month than August has.

Our seasons seem to be going like this now:

June: Summer

July: Summer

August: Autumn

September: Summer

October: Autumn

When are we going to get this overdue good August?

December Autumn, January Autumn! when are we due a good winter!

• Like 1