Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

It really felt like Autumn put its foot down early this morning with the cloudy and damp weather (which has now cleared to sunny spells) making it feel as though I was transported to mid to late September. It would be a real delight to see some additional warm, sunny, summery spells before Autumn becomes too overpowering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I know what you mean. I let the dogs for a run on the grass across the road from the house last night and I could just about see my breath. Some of these nights are getting fairly chilly for August, especially next week where one or two places may see their first frost.

It's hideous weather for August. I'd do anything to have an August 1995. This is freezing in comparison. 

Fed up with August spoiling the show, we should be seeing the highest temperatures of the year. September is are only hope. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Mmmm August looks like putting pay to the best summer since 2006 - its a close call at the moment, but a couple of chilly unsettled weeks as looks likely will in my books rank it below last summer.

not here it wasnt mate... but then again it depends upon how you measure whats 'good'. i guess this summers been drier then most... but ive only had half the 'hot' days (25c+) then i did last year, so using 'hot days' as a benchmark this summer... no, not summer, july, has been pretty much just above average.but i have to say that from a work perspective, where dryness and fresh sunshine is the most desired elements... this year and this august has been smashing! not many wet days, not too much rain, just enough to keep the grass growing but not to create jungle conditions like in 12 and august last year.

so august 2014, poor recriationally, but great for working in, possibly the best august for a long time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Let's look at the general picture here. For warmth lovers this has been a good or even very good summer overall. June and July were excellent summer months if you like warmth, even if August has been poor. If 2 out of the 3 winter months saw frequent cold and snowy weather we would call that a successful winter!

I am loving this August though :)

Posted

not here it wasnt mate... but then again it depends upon how you measure whats 'good'. i guess this summers been drier then most... but ive only had half the 'hot' days (25c+) then i did last year, so using 'hot days' as a benchmark this summer... no, not summer, july, has been pretty much just above average.but i have to say that from a work perspective, where dryness and fresh sunshine is the most desired elements... this year and this august has been smashing! not many wet days, not too much rain, just enough to keep the grass growing but not to create jungle conditions like in 12 and august last year.

so august 2014, poor recriationally, but great for working in, possibly the best august for a long time.

Are you kidding me? This August (so far) has been the worst since 2011. 

While 2013 was somewhat cloudy in the second week and a bit rainy, overall it was a fairly warm (I recorded over 22 on 9 days) and often sunny affair. And although 2012 was pretty damn poor, it did record 32c and was settled in stages.  

This month, aside from the very start, has been endlessly cloudy, windy, cool and rainy. Reminds me very much of June 2012. With some parts of the UK looking at air frosts next week, that should tell you how dismal this month has been, and will be for the rest of the month unless something miraculous happens. 

This month will be remembered for being out of place in the Summer season. I've known better October's than what we have now. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 2

Posted

When you get posts at the end of May, June and beginning of July writing off whole months/the whole season and saying stuff like "2012 all over again" etc etc etc blah blah then a certain agenda has been laid out and no matter what stats say people will argue. Same happened last December - despite the statistical evidence people were still saying it had been a cold month in Bristol etc etc.

Personally i am not enjoying August at all at the moment - mainly because of that nagging wind. At least it hasn't been a monsoon IMBY for the most part and it doesn't look likely to be a washout. When you place that alongside June and July - both drier and warmer than average then really where's the room to complain? The only people who could be disappointed with it would be fans of 2012/2007 style relentless rain and flooding. 

• Like 1

Posted

When you get posts at the end of May, June and beginning of July writing off whole months/the whole season and saying stuff like "2012 all over again" etc etc etc blah blah then a certain agenda has been laid out and no matter what stats say people will argue. Same happened last December - despite the statistical evidence people were still saying it had been a cold month in Bristol etc etc.

Personally i am not enjoying August at all at the moment - mainly because of that nagging wind. At least it hasn't been a monsoon IMBY for the most part and it doesn't look likely to be a washout. When you place that alongside June and July - both drier and warmer than average then really where's the room to complain? The only people who could be disappointed with it would be fans of 2012/2007 style relentless rain and flooding. 

While I agree to some extent, I think people are mainly complaining because yet again August has managed to put a dampener (literally) on an otherwise great Summer. And I will add, the best Summer for me since 2006 overall, or at least was.

It really does come as a shock when you have a brilliant month last month filled with heat, storm activity and sun, to then go to this dross. If we had this weather in October I really wouldn't complain, because that's what you expect from the time of the year you're in. But in August you really should be in maximum temperature of the year territory. Bear in mind I am in the SE, and Tuesday is forecast to be 15c!!! Now 15c in August really is despicable. 

Some may see me as an incessant moaner, but I'm really not. I am very happy with the Summer we 'had' and loved nearly every second of it. But I'm just getting very tired of what should be a height of Summer month putting a bad memory on the season as you head into Autumn. It's happened nearly every year since 2003. 

Let's just hope we're looking at another 2006, and we get next month what we should of had this month :)

Edited by matty007

Posted

While I agree to some extent, I think people are mainly complaining because yet again August has managed to put a dampener (literally) on an otherwise great Summer. And I will add, the best Summer for me since 2006 overall, or at least was.

It really does come as a shock when you have a brilliant month last month filled with heat, storm activity and sun, to then go to this dross. If we had this weather in October I really wouldn't complain, because that's what you expect from the time of the year you're in. But in August you really should be in maximum temperature of the year territory. Bear in mind I am in the SE, and Tuesday is forecast to be 15c!!! Now 15c in August really is despicable. 

Some may see me as an incessant moaner, but I'm really not. I am very happy with the Summer we 'had' and loved nearly every second of it. But I'm just getting very tired of what should be a height of Summer month putting a bad memory on the season as you head into Autumn. It's happened nearly every year since 2003. 

Let's just hope we're looking at another 2006, and we get next month what we should of had this month :)

why is 15c in august despicable? if you expect it to be 30c which is 8c above average for august then you should expect temps can go 7-8c below average too, i hate mildness in winter but if it's 13c in december i wouldn't be shocked cos i know temps can go well above average at times just like they can go well below, in September we might get one or two days of 12c and one or two days of 25c the average temp for sep is 18c, btw this week temps have only been a little bit below average here, albeit it hasn't been that sunny, you don't live far from me so it can't have been really bad where you are

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 3

Posted

Here August has actually been quite a bit warmer than average so far, with above average sunshine and rainfall.

Those who think this August is bad should take a look at 1986. We had a mean temp of 13.6C (4C less than now!) and 103mm of rainfall that month. Not to mention the mean maximum temp was 16.4C, actually lower than this May.

Compared to recent ones it isn't bad either, we're already on 100 hours of sunshine to the 15th compared to 123hrs in the whole of August 2008!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Funnily enough, when I saw posts complaining about the dire outlook in the model outputs for the rest of this August, my response was to post a chart from August 1986.  The doom and gloom arose because we're forecast to get north to north-westerly winds coming down from a long way north, but it's not really the coldest setup that we can get at this time of year (especially not regarding the daytime maxima).  The autumnal depression of 25 August 1986 is probably about as extreme as it gets for grey cold windy rainy weather at this time of year and we're a long way short of that outlook.

Nonetheless this August does feel to me like a descent into an early autumn compared with the July that we've just had.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Today is another example to dispel the myth that polar maritime flows are sunny. Strong convection cap due to the low humidity and cool temperatures and hey presto, endless grey skies on an off shore wind.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Funnily enough, when I saw posts complaining about the dire outlook in the model outputs for the rest of this August, my response was to post a chart from August 1986.  The doom and gloom arose because we're forecast to get north to north-westerly winds coming down from a long way north, but it's not really the coldest setup that we can get at this time of year (especially not regarding the daytime maxima).  The autumnal depression of 25 August 1986 is probably about as extreme as it gets for grey cold windy rainy weather at this time of year and we're a long way short of that outlook.

Nonetheless this August does feel to me like a descent into an early autumn compared with the July that we've just had.

I remember august 1986 clearly,it was not good and averaged 12.6 deg here[met office] and at least 2 deg colder up on the hills where I used to live,spent a lot of time with my coat on!!!....I guess with the quite reasonable summer we have had it is disappointing to get the weather we are having now especially as we are more than overdue a much better august.It has not been all bad here as we have at least had some sunshine just that we seem to have had rain,sun and wind every day,not 2 days alike,i would rather have one good week in august and 3 poor ones than this type of weather!!!

Posted

It felt surprisingly warm this afternoon with the sun cracking the flags and the showers nowhere to be seen. That annoying NWerly wind has gone for the time being too.

Autumn my fat hairy behind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Mainly sunny here all day, not a bad day all told really, and feeling warm in the sunshine too (hence why doors and windows open at present), the problem with weather is not everyone likes the same and not everyone gets what they want where they are, it can be way hey! here but boooooo! where you are.

weather eh? pesky thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

why is 15c in august despicable? if you expect it to be 30c which is 8c above average for august then you should expect temps can go 7-8c below average too, i hate mildness in winter but if it's 13c in december i wouldn't be shocked cos i know temps can go well above average at times just like they can go well below, in September we might get one or two days of 12c and one or two days of 25c the average temp for sep is 18c, btw this week temps have only been a little bit below average here, albeit it hasn't been that sunny, you don't live far from me so it can't have been really bad where you are

Probably because in his location one would expect temperatures around 21-24C in August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just looking at the Met Office 5 day forecast, got me down for 13c maximum on Tuesday, that's pretty notable for this time of year, had warmer days in January than that!

Posted

Probably because in his location one would expect temperatures around 21-24C in August.

but we don't always get average temps do we, occasionally we will get well below average temps in summer like 15c and occasionally we will get well above temps like 30c, so if he expects to see 30c in august why does he not expect to see 15c when the average is 22c? in winter i expect to see 0c which is well below average but i also expect to see 12-13c which is well above average and unless those above temps go on for too long i won't think its strange to see double figure temps in winter as it's common in this country

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

The main disappointment with this summer has been the amount of rainfall. I am having to cut the lawn every week because the grass just keeps growing where as in 2010 I only cut it 6 times between may and September.

It would be nice for a hot dry summer for a change...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

but we don't always get average temps do we, occasionally we will get well below average temps in summer like 15c and occasionally we will get well above temps like 30c, so if he expects to see 30c in august why does he not expect to see 15c when the average is 22c? in winter i expect to see 0c which is well below average but i also expect to see 12-13c which is well above average and unless those above temps go on for too long i won't think its strange to see double figure temps in winter as it's common in this country

I think because synoptics that give rise to 30C are more common in August than those that produce maxima of 15C in the southeast. Northerly winds are not a common occurrence at all in August whereas winds from between SW-E are more often seen. To add to this, it's kinda unusual that after a run of above average temperatures it swings so suddenly below average despite so many factors favouring only average to above average temperatures.

Posted

There will always be variation in average conditions across the country, but I must say it has been a very poor first half to August here, very wet, very cloudy and very cool, we haven't hit more than 21 degrees, and recent days have seen maxima in the 14-17 degree range which however you look at it is well below average here. With a week of even lower average maxima, even if we see a late warm up it will rank as a very poor August.

June and July were very good with lots of dry warm sunny conditions, but certainly not classic. Still despite the likelihood of a very poor August it will still rank as better the horror shows of 2007-2012.

Posted

I don't expect to see 30c. I am a heat lover, but I'm not unreasonable. I would be quite happy with 22c ish, mostly sun and low winds. 

You have to factor in many other aspects than just temperature alone too. What has made this August so dire is not only the cool temperatures, but the high winds, constant cloud and wetness. I can accept one, or even two of these, but when all occur you may as well be in Autumn. It feels in no way like Summer any more. I have sometimes recorded higher than 15c in February! and very commonly in March. Today, for example, we hit the dizzy heights of 17c ugh. Bad enough by itself, but when you mix in almost relentless cloud, high wind and rain. You have a terrible outcome. 

To be honest, even though the figures would disagree with me, this has been the worst August in recent memory for me. Probably only narrowly beating August 2008. Figures don't tell the whole story. To me, even the August of 2011 beats this one. 

As others have said too. It was the speed in which the weather changed that makes it that more hard to swallow. It seemed (as is increasingly happening) that as soon as August gets here, the weather goes schizophrenic. 

Don't misunderstand me. I would love it, but I don't expect 30c temperatures in August (or even July for that matter) but I do expect a decent amount of warmth, lowish winds and a reasonable amount of Sun. This month has been devoid of all three. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

If the beebs latest 10 dayer is right things should settle down later next week making it feel 'a little warmer by day'

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Today has been a reminder of what 2007-12 brought a lot of the time. Cool airmasses forming loads of capped convective clouds over the land blocking the sun out till evening over almost all the country except near the coasts.

Shockingly cool conditions. Just look at how the UK gets the absolute worst of the cool uppers like its revenge for a good June and July. Again its pretty much us, The UK and perhaps N France/BeNeLux vs the rest. Wrong patterns at the wrong time of year. At the very least, its so awful now that September now has a pretty good chance of being warmer! :) 

Posted

The main disappointment with this summer has been the amount of rainfall. I am having to cut the lawn every week because the grass just keeps growing where as in 2010 I only cut it 6 times between may and September. 

Now this is weird. Cutting the grass is a chore I could really do without, and that's just what's happened over the last 6 - 7 weeks. Had to cut it every fortnight last year. This summer has had loads of sun and warmth and  there has hardly been drought conditions, but the grass, whilst looking healthy enough, has simply stopped growing. I ain't complaining, but what gives??