Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

21c and humid. No sunshine today and there was a spell of heavy rain for an hour.

Very pleasant conditions

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Yet another day with predominately the same auld default weather for this area. :nonono:

So it seems these days that even under High Pressure the weather is crap   :help:

A couple of fair hours though in these warmer temps allowed me tae get the grass cut.

Whit a bonus eh  :rolleyes:

Big ah fkn give up Innes 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

well today was hotter than yesterday the two localish weather stations I check stirling one got to 22.8c and the polmont one hit 22.9c so I would imagine it was sitting around that here as well.

was pulling hedges today again and the humidity really hit hard was wet through with sweat pouring off me but thankfully that's it finished and I can get on and enjoy the heat now probably wont be too much sunbathing though I'm pretty pink already.

was fairly cloudy to start but managed to get some good breaks in through the day so not too bad a day but hopefully the cloud breaks to let the heat really build as we move on.

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 1

Posted

Very humid here yesterday also .Got eaten  alive by midges going round cattle next to a wood. Also made it to 20c with thick mist and drizzle. Most uncomfortable day

Currently very foggy, 15c and drizzle. Always preferred cold weather

Well another very uncomfortable day the mist tried to lift from the NE several times but banks of mist just rolled in again accompanied by some very wetting drizzle.The weeds are getting out of control in the garden as it has never been dry enough to dutch hoe in the past fortnight.Very warm  in spite of the dreich conditions and grass and crops growing well. Wiil need some sun to fill the grain though as the ears are emerging now so harvest should not be to late as this is happening about a week ahead of normal.

Posted

CPC 6-10 day 500mb forecast charts showing high pressure just to our west

post-18233-0-57906500-1402783606_thumb.g

CPC 8-14 day 500mb forecast chart showing high pressure moving more over us like the other day as well so should we be going down this pattern of high pressure moving more centrally over us it looks like it may stick around

post-18233-0-98220100-1402783606_thumb.g

GFS 11 day 500mb forecast shows high pressure centred over us again like it did the other day so all good signs

post-18233-0-17337900-1402783591_thumb.g

don't have access to extended ECM 500mb charts I think you need subscription to something to see them but with the CPC discussion showing both GFS and ECM in good agreement a couple of days ago and with the overall pattern not gaining any mobility then its probably a good certainty that both are still in agreement with the forecast pattern so looks like we may have some extended cracking summer weather on the way and should we manage to lose the cloud could really see some very decent temps in the coming weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Yet another day with predominately the same auld default weather for this area. :nonono:

So it seems these days that even under High Pressure the weather is crap   :help:

A couple of fair hours though in these warmer temps allowed me tae get the grass cut.

Whit a bonus eh  :rolleyes:

Big ah fkn give up Innes 

Warmth & water has been the theme recently here too.  I was on the north coast this week - we had over an inch of rain over 5 days, yet daily max temps were around 19C every day. I'd say it was much the same at home today on the Black Isle - for example, we got 18 to 19C for a good part of the middle of the day, total cloud cover & light to heavy rain on & off all day.

But is this unusual for us in the long term? After all, this is now 'mid-summer' rather than 'early summer', with the solstice only a week away, so temps around 20C are the norm for most parts, and being surrounded by water, the default is damp rather than dry.

I guess I'd rather not encourage midges, aphids, etc. - which this weather does - but crop, grass and tree growth are all good so unless I want a day of sunshine to enjoy in the garden, I'll take this.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Spot the difference! Jings, I'm getting a bit fed up with this view now! 12.5c and mizzle.

post-1989-0-84169000-1402822976_thumb.jp

Posted

Still early summer in terms of temperatures though HC. June average max here (Leuchars figures) is 16.8c, compared to 19c in July and 18.9c in August.

Interestingly this June has been warmest (relative to normal) in northern areas with Altnaharra +2.5c above average so far. That might help explain the good growth.

Still cloudy here this morning, 14c.

Posted

Warmth & water has been the theme recently here too.  I was on the north coast this week - we had over an inch of rain over 5 days, yet daily max temps were around 19C every day. I'd say it was much the same at home today on the Black Isle - for example, we got 18 to 19C for a good part of the middle of the day, total cloud cover & light to heavy rain on & off all day.

But is this unusual for us in the long term? After all, this is now 'mid-summer' rather than 'early summer', with the solstice only a week away, so temps around 20C are the norm for most parts, and being surrounded by water, the default is damp rather than dry.

I guess I'd rather not encourage midges, aphids, etc. - which this weather does - but crop, grass and tree growth are all good so unless I want a day of sunshine to enjoy in the garden, I'll take this.

Ahm almost a broken man noo HC with this pathetic climate here in recent years.

Last July I built a braw big Decking which ye can walk oot on fae the sitting room. Ah would estimate that this has only been dry aboot 15 times since building it last July! :angry:

How fkn stupid tae spend aboot £800 on wood tae leave ootside A' year in Scotland eh. :fool:  :doh: At this rate it will have rotted away by next June / July  :unsure2:

canny get it dry for long enough tae get more decking protector on it. :aggressive:

Current conditions here, eh steady drizzly default  :whistling:

Big Distraught Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 3

Posted

not too bad a morning here it is a little cloudy but nothing too thick and the sun is trying to have a go at breaking through.

really hope the cloud you's have in fife just now gets breaking up and dispersing as I am going to my mums for sunday lunch and it would be good to chill out in the garden with the sun beating down afterwards.

stirling station sitting at 15.3c and polmont at 15.6c so it will be somewhere about that here just now lets get another warm day but with a little more sun coming out country wide to boost the temps that extra little bit.

heres a few satellite images first is just after 9 then second is just after 11 and final one is just after 12 and to my eye it looks like the cloud may be thinning nation wide and some relative clear air just to our west hopefully some of that can invade as the day goes on

post-18233-0-99378500-1402830944_thumb.ppost-18233-0-67610200-1402830946_thumb.ppost-18233-0-00528600-1402830949_thumb.p

Posted

Still a hell of a lot of cloud around but the sun's poking through

Posted

Disappointingly cloudy again, cooler too,15c.

Posted

well not the day I was hoping for I thought the cloud would break a bit more I managed to get a few fleeting glimpses of sun while I was in Dunfermline but was generally just high cloud and felt rather chilly don't know if that's all due to the cloud cover or due to me being burnt.

don't know how Falkirk did during today sun wise as wasn't here but the two weather stations I check in the area stirling got to 18c and polmont hit 18.1c so would have been around that here as well.

this isn't anything weather but anyone thinking about September might want to have a read

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-opinion/9324-trolling-trolling-trolling-dear-ms-jk-rowling

Posted

Mediocre day yesterday (although sounds better than what most of you had). Very cloudy, a little drizzle and reached 20.3c

Today is brighter. 16c already....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Now we're talking! Finally, a beautiful morning which is already at 17.2c! Seems ages ago that we had some sun.

post-1989-0-68668300-1402904533_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Now we're talking! Finally, a beautiful morning which is already at 17.2c! Seems ages ago that we had some sun.

Same here. Nearly full sun and very warm. :crazy:

Posted

Ah at last Blitzy Single Semmit or dare ah say even Tapsaff conditions oot there the day eh!Jeez it micht even stay DRY a' day withoot defaulting oan us, so record books at the ready then.Doonside= back at work and stuck in the office till 5pm, but ah'll buy it any day though!!!Big ahll mibbies no moan the day Innes Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

better day today with sun shining bright and not much cloud about lets just get a full day of it for us all.

the two local sites the stirling one says its 22c and polmont is at 21.7c should we get a full day of sun will be good to see how they both fare and how high we can get considering we were only forecast 20-21c and we are already beating it and the latest weather forecast on the BBC is calling for 25 plus tomorrow and if it comes off sunny like they say I would dare to say some spots will get over 28c also looks like we might have the chance of some showers being triggered through the central belt going into late afternoon and evening we will just have to wait and radar watch to see if we can get anything electric coming from them.

also looks like tomorrows daily maxima might be reached north of the border which will be good for a change as well.

GFS 0.5 6z run showing a little cape over us with very little cap and shows some convective precipitation potential tomorrow in the charts below

post-18233-0-14857100-1402920865_thumb.gpost-18233-0-09154700-1402920876_thumb.gpost-18233-0-87575100-1402920865_thumb.g

WRF also showing some convective precipitation for tomorrow evening with slightly better cape values and with no cap

post-18233-0-38716800-1402921921_thumb.ppost-18233-0-78322900-1402921922_thumb.ppost-18233-0-29283300-1402921923_thumb.ppost-18233-0-06501100-1402921942_thumb.ppost-18233-0-44315100-1402921942_thumb.ppost-18233-0-82295500-1402921942_thumb.p

post-18233-0-49084900-1402921920_thumb.p

post-18233-0-25854900-1402921943_thumb.p

so hopefully we can get a small chance of getting something electric as the heat triggers off some showers even if its only a few flashes and bangs 

Posted

Sitting currently at 23.5c. Very pleasant as it's less humid than the past few days.

Tomorrow looks a little warmer which should mean I get near 25c. I knew it wouldn't be long Hawesy... haha

Posted

well today was rather pleasant after all the cloud we have had to endure and tomorrow is looking even better with the added fun of parts seeing showers breaking out late afternoon and into the evening the updated 12z WRF NMM is much the same as the 6z which I posted above so wont bother to post the charts the stirling weather station I check topped out at 24.2c and the polmont one topped out at 24.8c roll on tomorrow and lets see if we can breach 28c as looking at the WRF NMM it looks like central areas are set for the highest temps tomorrow and we topped out around 3c warmer than what was forecast for today

heres how it sees the highest temps tomorrow

post-18233-0-59648600-1402943187_thumb.ppost-18233-0-16027400-1402943188_thumb.p

then Wednesday it wants to see the warmer temps moving more east into fife, Edinburgh and Perthshire.

post-18233-0-73469600-1402943188_thumb.ppost-18233-0-62003900-1402943189_thumb.ppost-18233-0-57229300-1402943199_thumb.p

Finally the sun has come out properly, I've been saying to people since Friday that "it'll be better tomorrow".

I hope it's still warm and dry by Wednesday, I might get my grass cut for the third time this year :rofl:

I got out and cut my grass and that today needed done the growth this year is far greater than last year I hardly had to touch my grass last year and that's 4 times already this year hopefully we can get some lengthy dry weather as its doing my head in as well as the weeds they seem to be having a really good time this year and trying to over run the garden.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Would love to see 25C+ tomorrow. Hopefully higher on Wednesday since its the sports day at the local stadium, to give me a chance to win it needs to be warm since I prefer running in heat. :) :)

Posted

Got to garden a bit today with dutch hoe as weeds here are taking over as well,lovely sunny start to the day but later this afternoon  it clouded over and it got very humid again so will get the fan out to sleep again as this old farmhouse is just the complete opposite in summer were it seems to retain the daytime heat especially upstairs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

*Breaks estivation*

Warmest day of the year here today. Hit a maximum of 25.4ºC and some great sunshine throughout the day. Wee bit cloudier later on this afternoon, but loving this spell of settled summer weather. 

Long may it continue. 

Posted

Spent the day in Stirling. Fantastic weather. Good sunny spells temp around 23c.