Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Same here really. Cool wet morning, dryer but still cloudy in the afternoon and all finished off with a lovely, sunny, warm, late afternoon/evening. Ahh....only in Scotland!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning. Absolutely persisting down with rain here now after a brightish start. Radar doesn't look all that promising for the rest of the day either.http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?

Wouldn't it be lovely if we could believe in ECM? but it is at odds with the GFS so I wouldn't bank on it!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Been threatning all morning but I think rain now finally set in for the day. It's not cold though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

NUT - it most certainly is cold here (by June standards). Currently 11.5c... Max today was 13c almost 6 degrees below the average max (18.7). Let's hope the warmer charts that the models are gradually beginning to coherently show, come to fruition.

Eagerly waiting on the first 25c day...

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Evening all. Just a quick stop-in to wave hiya as my Other Half is reading the Daily Express's weather forecast to me, amidst much hilarity - hailstones the size of tornadoes, it seems…. or summat like :)Dreich here but nice warm dreich. Y'know, the sort of steady downpour you can wear sandals in, so the rain goes out as fast as it comes in… :)

• Like 2

Posted

Very wet overnight .Currently  misty drizzle  very dull and 13.8c. Thats enough for the turnips now we need better weather for haymaking please.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Very wet here this morning (which is good as it was quite well needed) but brightening up now with only occasional drizzle. Oscillating between 13 and 14'C over the last couple of hours. 

Posted

Eagerly waiting on the first 25c day...

I like your optimism! It's not every year that we see 25c here - recently 2007, 2008 & 2012 all failed to deliver even one 25c day and 2009 scraped in with 25c exactly (Leuchars figures).

Even last summer which was generally pretty good, we only had four days that reached 25c or above (two of which were above 28c!).

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

well the BBC forecast for Saturday is looking fairly decent at this point if your looking for the chance of some lightning there has been some small upgrades over the last day for the cape forecasts but at this point its looking best for the southwest and possibly could have something moving through the central belt.

CAPE

post-18233-0-52619300-1401974362_thumb.g

PPN

post-18233-0-17479800-1401974363_thumb.gpost-18233-0-71300000-1401974363_thumb.gpost-18233-0-15188500-1401974364_thumb.gpost-18233-0-84495700-1401974375_thumb.gpost-18233-0-22802200-1401974376_thumb.g

hopefully LS or LORENZO or someone else with a bit more knowledge will let us know what they think soon as I am not fully up with what to look for yet been concentrating more on the winter stuff.

Posted

I like your optimism! It's not every year that we see 25c here - recently 2007, 2008 & 2012 all failed to deliver even one 25c day and 2009 scraped in with 25c exactly (Leuchars figures). Even last summer which was generally pretty good, we only had four days that reached 25c or above (two of which were above 28c!).

Haha, nothing wrong with a glad half full approach! I do have a sheltered location, more so than the town of Dumfries so less wind means slightly lower night time temps and slightly higher day time temps (if clear)Since average for Dumfries in July is 19.5c (Met Office) then 20 is quite regularly broken (so far in 2014 - 9 occasions with 5 days straight a couple of weeks ago).I have records of last summer but can't access the spreadsheet so off the top of my head... 2 days reached 29.5ish and a further 2 were over 28. Can't remember how many 25+ days but during that 2 week hit spell most days surpassed 22c. Average max was a very warm 21.7c. Mainly due to persistent warmth as opposed to a tremendous heatwave.Your proximity to the coast may be limiting your temperatures?... 10 miles or so to my south is within 5 miles of the sea and had a very temperate climate with cold mild or warmer mild seemingly your seasonal variations with almost no snow and almost no days over 25c...I wonder where in Scotland has the highest average max? Moray firth must be very close to beating 19.5c....

Posted

Very wet overnight .Currently  misty drizzle  very dull and 13.8c. Thats enough for the turnips now we need better weather for haymaking please.

A little off topic but have you silaged yet? I was wondering how far ahead/behind you are of where I live... Mainly farmers got their first cut end of May... We want haylage (sp?) and thus need 2 more weeks (better weather permitting)

Posted

Been a improving day. Load of cloud still around but it's broken up slightly. Tomorrow Should be OK. Then saturday to come...............................

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I don't see anything but heavy rain here in Scotland for Saturday. Parts of England will see something special though.

Posted

A little off topic but have you silaged yet? I was wondering how far ahead/behind you are of where I live... Mainly farmers got their first cut end of May... We want haylage (sp?) and thus need 2 more weeks (better weather permitting)

We are slightly higher up than he coastal plain who make silage. They started about a week ago maybe a week late because of rain.Hay would normally be the end of June  begining of July here for us as we use a lot of red clover which is slower to bulk up but gives us higher protein content. We make  wrapped haylage bales off the ends and shaded areas and leave hay in the middle of the fields. Think timing is just about normal this year.

As all sheds are empty of hay would think it is going to be a difficult year to make hay  ie lots of wet weather Have seen us still making hay at the end of August as we start harvest. So my summer forecast based on these thoughts is not very inspiring.

Currently very dark, foggy, drizzle and 13.8c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

I don't see anything but heavy rain here in Scotland for Saturday. Parts of England will see something special though.

I agree. I think more here we will get heavy rain myself but you never know (maybe the rain will be so heavy some rumbles might happen) who knows. Going to be close though

Posted

Haha, nothing wrong with a glad half full approach!I do have a sheltered location, more so than the town of Dumfries so less wind means slightly lower night time temps and slightly higher day time temps (if clear)Since average for Dumfries in July is 19.5c (Met Office) then 20 is quite regularly broken (so far in 2014 - 9 occasions with 5 days straight a couple of weeks ago).I have records of last summer but can't access the spreadsheet so off the top of my head... 2 days reached 29.5ish and a further 2 were over 28. Can't remember how many 25+ days but during that 2 week hit spell most days surpassed 22c. Average max was a very warm 21.7c. Mainly due to persistent warmth as opposed to a tremendous heatwave.Your proximity to the coast may be limiting your temperatures?... 10 miles or so to my south is within 5 miles of the sea and had a very temperate climate with cold mild or warmer mild seemingly your seasonal variations with almost no snow and almost no days over 25c...I wonder where in Scotland has the highest average max? Moray firth must be very close to beating 19.5c....

Average max in July at Leuchars is 19.2c so pretty close - but I would think you live in one of the the warmest parts of Scotland in the summer. Perhaps inland parts of the eastern Borders would compete? Kinloss on the Moray Firth averages 18.7c in July so a little below your average. According to the Met Office both Paisley and Stirling average 19.7c in July but I'm not aware of any Scottish station with an average max of 20c or above in any month over the 30 years datasets.

Interestingly last July Leuchars averaged 21.1c, so again just half a degree below what you are reporting. Here in Crail it is normally a little cooler due to our exposed coastal location, though even here I managed 28c last July.

• Like 1

Posted

Average max in July at Leuchars is 19.2c so pretty close - but I would think you live in one of the the warmest parts of Scotland in the summer. Perhaps inland parts of the eastern Borders would compete? Kinloss on the Moray Firth averages 18.7c in July so a little below your average. According to the Met Office both Paisley and Stirling average 19.7c in July but I'm not aware of any Scottish station with an average max of 20c or above in any month over the 30 years datasets. Interestingly last July Leuchars averaged 21.1c, so again just half a degree below what you are reporting. Here in Crail it is normally a little cooler due to our exposed coastal location, though even here I managed 28c last July.

19.2 is very close.I reckon your drier and more consistently reaching that temperature whereas we are wetter here and have a little more variation. I say this because Stirling is certainly much drier, a lot more 'useable' days but a little less humid and cooler. (Loch froze over in December whereas a couple nights of sleet in Dumfries but a remarkable lack of frost all winter).28 is very respectable. The record is 32.8c in two locations - Dumfries and can't remember... I want to say Perthshire but no clue.Anyone know what the summers of 2003 and 2006 were like in Scotland... They are always mentioned as good summers in England, recent benchmarks if you will but I can't remember them properly

Posted

Summer of 2003 was pretty good. I remember all the parks and golf courses all scorched by August due to the good summer we had and plenty of high temps. 2006 was a cracking June and a heatwave for last 2 weeks of July. It reached 31c at Prestwick one afternoon. Sadly August that year was gloomy.

• Like 2

Posted

Fog overnight has given way to clear skies. sunshine and a few towering cumulus - 17'C but feeling significantly warmer with the humidity. 

Edit: My 2000th post!  :drinks:

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm not sure, the Inverness area over to Skye and northwards could do very well in the afternoon ahead of the rain, I'd expect there would be some potential for a few thundery downpours as the rain moves in too.

Posted Image

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

21.2c, milky sunshine and a slight breeze. Perfect summer weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

local weather station in stirling says its 20.8c so prob not far off that here either with some small fluffy clouds about but mainly good sunshine.

heres a video I saw in the convective thread so thought I would pop it in here its a forecast from simon keeling calling for us to get some good storms tomorrow with southwest areas seeing the worst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4KcbMe5o-k#t=498

now as we know storms are extremely hard to predict especially the way he is doing it but any encouragement is a good thing and hopefully tomorrow will come good for us

EDIT: could someone please embed the videos for me thanks

keep forgetting we are sharing now lol he thinks that north of England is looking good as well.

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

The Scottish record is held by a wee place not far from here, it's 32.9ºC set in August 2003: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/extremes/ind x.html I would love to see more data for the Greycrook station as it might answer questions about "where's the warmest average maximum too? I certainly notice a difference in the weather down here compared to what I am used to from Kilmacolm, and also what my parents tell me on the phone a couple of times a week :lol:

Fair pointI notice Paisley has an average in July of 19.7c although I'm sure somewhere outwith the large stations will record higher. It's a bit like the -30c question. It's most likely been achieved but due to met office guidelines and lack of stations in remote highland glens we will never know until it is broken at an official station