Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather

I really, really thought 'this is it yahoo' at about 6pm. Stormy looking clouds had gathered and were actually amazingly coming my way...nothing but rain and now its brightened up again. I give up :angry:

Posted

Haar and Moderate rain here with one short convective burst. Only 11c as well, it was a different world when I was over in south Ayrshire earlier when it was in the low 20's. Parents in killie also reporting yet more thunder! Ayrshire is doing well for storms so far this year as far as Scotland goes anyway!

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted

Very potent heavy thunderstorm here at present with lightning bolts and hail. Been a while since we've had such a storm, rivers are quickly swelling.

• Like 2

Posted

Very potent heavy thunderstorm here at present with lightning bolts and hail. Been a while since we've had such a storm, rivers are quickly swelling.

Looks to be on a collision course for Glasgow if it can hold together.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

It's certainly gotten more organised rather quickly, hope it survives the travel North beyond the wall...

post-7292-0-79439700-1400617014_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Impact imminent here! Power is off in Dumfries but I'm slightly further west and so the storm will be a tad later in arriving. Lightning is visible, at 5 min intervals with increasingly loud thunder. Could be in for a good but short show...

• Like 1

Posted

Enjoy :) one thing noticable here is that its gone from rain and  feeling quite chilly to dense fog and very humid ! feels like we need a storm to clear the air so here's hoping that one survives and tracks a bit further east than glasgae :) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

In work, anyone know if that storm keeps up will it hit East Kilbride?

Edited by Stormeh

Posted

Looking at the cloud tops on link, that system has organised and bloomed well, at the moment to my eye it is a direct hit on Glasgow before 23:00, looks like it is meandering up the M74 at around 12 mph

http://www.meteo-mc.fr/~meteomc/Images/sat/sat_new_ireu.gif 

Posted

There has been numerous strikes and I got one good view of a fairly close strike with the bolt shooting horizontally through the sky. The thunder was almost immediately behind. Seems like it is now moving steadily north . Although there was a big strike recently. I'd say Glasgow is in line, whether the intensity will be maintained is debatable. Hope so :) It was a good wee storm but nothing on the rogue storm in March 2012 which deposited 2 inches of hailstones which lay on all surfaces. Surreal and very localised (5 mile in circumference) and it was accompanied by lightning which hit our field.

Anyone have special events with lightning or storms in general? I've only taken notice the last 5 or so years so I'm sure some of you will know far more

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It was a lovely day here after the haar changed its state to a gas, we got 20C :blink2: .  Plant growth is awesome, man.

• Like 2

Posted

Radar looking pretty spectacular as that feature travels North, rather than waning appears to be extending...

A decent pick out on the Sat 24 too.

post-7292-0-61297900-1400621032_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

Radar looking pretty spectacular as that feature travels North, rather than waning appears to be extending...

A decent pick out on the Sat 24 too.

http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Looks a nice big cloud but the lightning seems to have ceased. Still the rain might be heavy for a while

Posted

Yep, the sparks have gone out on this one sadly. Maybe a couple of rumbles if lucky..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

and here comes the rain to water the onionses & tattiesies... :p

I'd prefer to see the sun first as we've been stuck under the Haar for the last couple of days. Not too bad this morning so far though, the haar has pulled back and the sun is out in the gaps between the clouds. Feels warmer as a result.

Posted

Much better here after a couple of haar-filled days. Max was only 12c yesterday but up to 18c already in the westerly breeze.

Posted

Big change today after some fairly moderate outbreaks of rain in the last twenty four hours here and temperature back down to 8c  (21c same time yesterday) in the late afternoon currently the same and very misty. 

• Like 1

Posted

Really cold and damp this morning at 7.5c with a fresh NE wind off the Firth blowing in drizzly showers a rare occurance this last year. 

• Like 1

Posted

Yesterday was glorious and reached 20c. Very sunny. Making it a week (7 day period) of conservative 18c plus temperatures, which isn't bad for this early.

Today, is cloudy, windy and cool by contrast :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Really cold and damp this morning at 7.5c with a fresh NE wind off the Firth blowing in drizzly showers a rare occurance this last year. 

Same here. Miserable compared to Monday & Tuesday.  Yesterday was just solid rain so good for plant growth - especially the potatoes! - but this chill murky dampness (hmm the rain's on as I type) is no good for anything. Indoors listening to music & writing bits & bobs today...

Edit... an hour later, and it's been raining steadily all this time, yet the radar shows nowt. I feel seriously disappointed :wallbash::aggressive::angry::blink2::unsure2::p

I think there's a hole in the radar... Do the Russians know?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

Very different feeling day compared to Monday and Tuesday. Maxima held at 10 degrees with mostly overcast skies producing a damp spitty drizzle - preety uninspiring stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I know some people have been lucky enough to have been "feeling the heat" but up here in the NE (Scotland) I feel it's been on the cool side throughout May so far. In the last 6 days data for Dyce for example the max temp has been 17C on two occasions, both of which were short daytime spikes. The mean temp across that period is probably about 12.5C, excluding the last day or so which has had a mean of nearer 8C. Maybe I'm expecting too much but for May I'd like it warmer.

Anyone have the mean temp figures for April/May and whether it's above or below average?

Posted

Anyone have the mean temp figures for April/May and whether it's above or below average?

Dyce would appear to be running +1c above average thus far: http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html 

It's felt pretty average down here I'd say -  a couple of warm days (we've reached +20.8c) and a few much cooler ones (like yesterday).

Odd glimpse of the sun here today and at least it's dry but not warm: 12c in a light easterly breeze.