Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

24 hour rain totals through 1pm today (courtesy Weatheronline):

Lossiemouth (6 m) 104.0 mm Kinloss (5 m) 82.0 mm Aultbea (10 m) 75.0 mm Loch Glascarnoch (264 m) 75.0 mm Tain Range (4 m) 62.0 mm Altnaharra (80 m) 54.0 mm Aberdeen/Dyce (69 m) 49.0 mm Aviemore (228 m) 49.0 mm Leuchars (10 m) 39.6 mm

It also puts the 137mm recorded at Fair Isle in 24 hours through 7am Sunday into perspective!

I hope the impact isn't too bad, NL.

Edited by Hawesy

Posted

C'mon, NL, farmers are allowed a bit of exaggeration, but 77m  :shok:

Correction 77mm! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Dunno how reliable the data are, but NW radar accumulated rainfall is currently showing some places within about a 50 mile radius around Inverness to have had around 200mm in the last 24 hours. Crikey - if true!

from twitter...  http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifcarrbridge.jpg

I really hope it isn't damaged, it would be devastating for the village and is one of the iconic sights in the Highlands, especially during the winter months. 

We had exceptional rain here yesterday evening, overnight and this morning - the garden took a real battering, quite a lot of damage to the plum trees as well due to some really quite extreme gusty winds for the time of year. 

• Like 2

Posted

24 hour rain totals through 1pm today (courtesy Weatheronline):

Lossiemouth (6 m) 104.0 mm Kinloss (5 m) 82.0 mm Aultbea (10 m) 75.0 mm Loch Glascarnoch (264 m) 75.0 mm Tain Range (4 m) 62.0 mm Altnaharra (80 m) 54.0 mm Aberdeen/Dyce (69 m) 49.0 mm Aviemore (228 m) 49.0 mm Leuchars (10 m) 39.6 mm

It also puts the 137mm recorded at Fair Isle in 24 hours through 7am Sunday into perspective!

I hope the impact isn't too bad, NL.

I "ll reply on here if and when we get to harvest anything and give you the results.Not only does the grain/straw need to dry out but the ground too to carry the combines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Rain been hammering down here all day. Not so windy as some parts, but breezy nevertheless. To think that two weeks ago we were basking in 30c!!

t

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 1

Posted

I really hope it isn't damaged, it would be devastating for the village and is one of the iconic sights in the Highlands, especially during the winter months.

River Dulnain was still rising after that photo: https://twitter.com/RichardSagar3/status/498836331351789568/photo/1A photo has appeared on twitter in the last few minutes showing the river well below the approaches to either side of the bridge, but not clear if that is current or older image. River Dulnain is very flashy so may well drop quickly at least until rain returns later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Constant rain since late Saturday, the full works, drizzle, mist, steady, stair rods.

This just appeared on BBC News

post-7292-0-74456000-1407773751_thumb.jp

Aside from it being terrible, had a chuckle at the animals looking over the edge and thinking - WTF?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

That image is from near Shennachie at Delnies, to the west of Nairn on the road to Inverness, just for clarification for everyone. 

Pigs are evidently fantasising about rolling about in that muddy ditch. 

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

That image is from near Shennachie at Delnies, to the west of Nairn on the road to Inverness, just for clarification for everyone. 

Pigs are evidently fantasising about rolling about in that muddy ditch. 

'Hey look Snowball, Mr Jones is trying to climb out - give him another shove just to make sure!'

(with apologies to George Orwell)

Apologies for this, but I've always wanted to write this...

This shed load's a shed load...

:pardon:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Evening all (yep im stalking the group again). :hi:

Poor weather. Not too bad in Perth just on/off wet and wind. My folks in Kingussie said the river was high and the train station was flooded.

Hope nobody here was too badly effected. I did see on the news that a few unfortunate folk in Elgin had been evacuated for the day. 

Posted

Tales of losses due to floods begining to circulate .Lots of drowned chickens in flooded sheds and a few acres of barley washed away by floodwater. This August will be remembered for all the wrong reasons. Still raining as I type.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

Afternoon all.

First post of the year after being busy moving house. Now a further 5 miles inland and another 400ft up so looking forward to this winter!

Saw the first geese last night when i got home from work. Seems early to me - anyone else seen any?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Snow Monster, I heard geese the Sunday night, I was up getting an asprin and heard them go over. In the morning nobody believed me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

13.4C in mid-August? Certainly feels like it anyway.

Posted

Got to admit I am loving it this week so far being as cool as it has been. Perfect weather for me. Today been mostly wet although drying up a bit now

Edited by NUT
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Reached 14C today. 1C up on yesterday. Dry now with some small patches of blue sky.

Posted

I "ll reply on here if and when we get to harvest anything and give you the results.Not only does the grain/straw need to dry out but the ground too to carry the combines.

A foot note to above if we get any more bad weather this harvest after another days rain today  is that grain prices on a world basis have halved  since last Christmas so there will be a lot of grumpy old farmers around this autumn. Now two and and half days of rainfall since Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Afternoon all.

First post of the year after being busy moving house. Now a further 5 miles inland and another 400ft up so looking forward to this winter!

Saw the first geese last night when i got home from work. Seems early to me - anyone else seen any?

Saw a whole flock over Dunfermline on the way home yesterday, it does seem a little early, last year my first sightings were in late September!

Posted

A foot note to above if we get any more bad weather this harvest after another days rain today  is that grain prices on a world basis have halved  since last Christmas so there will be a lot of grumpy old farmers around this autumn. Now two and and half days of rainfall since Sunday.

Just heard of a 40 acre field of tatties washed away near Forres.  On an optimistic note sun is finally shining and we have a breeze

Posted

Hopefully it dries up for you NL. It looks likely to stay unsettled though, with an Atlantic block/Greenland high on the cards. Wind from the north so cool and potentially wet for parts of the north. You might be ok if the wind stays west of north.

Just spoke to contractor about combine for Saturday as everyone will want to go if it dries up but both grain and soil need to dry up by then. Dull  again and drizzly showers and currently 12.9c. crop severely brackled(broken over and nearly on ground) and combine will have to shave the ground to get as many grain heads as possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Our roof leaked.... :help:

Had an awful wet day on a hill yesterday, really wouldn't have attempted it if it wasn't for pay.  Roads underwater etc. The oddest sight was of a footbridge that was completely isolated because the river had come up so much - and the owner's notice 'private, no access to north side of river' looked suitably stupid.

We lost a branch off a favourite plum tree in the wind & rain - that's what happens when you get greedy and don't prune hard enough. Almost didn't reveal this factoid after reading NL's posts...

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Cloud returns after a nice day yesterday in NE Fife. Managed 20.7c with 10 hours of sunshine.

Posted

Few rumbles of thunder around this afternoon here. Little unexpected but hell i'll take it all the same