Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

We're getting lulled into a false sense of autumn. Once this pattern breaks we could still have a warm September and/or October. I dislike summer when it's like this, can't wait for proper autumn and winter now, although a couple of weeks of high pressure dominated weather in September would be much appreciated.

And i think every farmer in Scotland would agree with you!!!! Dull here today and currently 9.5c. First load  of barley off and getting out of the tractor it felt like October in the cold NW wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

A chilly 12c outside with a keen wind. Very sunny though. Today is giving a taste of those lovely arctic outbreaks that occur later on. When it's -3 or below at night and upto 15c during the day.

The heating had to go on a couple nights ago. Anyone else had to resort to this?

My house is old and cold, my room was down to 12c so it needed a help I'm ashamed to admit ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

A chilly 12c outside with a keen wind. Very sunny though. Today is giving a taste of those lovely arctic outbreaks that occur later on. When it's -3 or below at night and upto 15c during the day.The heating had to go on a couple nights ago. Anyone else had to resort to this?My house is old and cold, my room was down to 12c so it needed a help I'm ashamed to admit ;)

I have recently moved into a flat in an old town house in Dunfermline which hardly gets the sun, my heating has been on a few times already! Woud love some late summer high pressure dominated weather, hard to see at the moment though. On a good note, great lampost out side my back door so great for lamp watching if we get any snow!

Posted

I have recently moved into a flat in an old town house in Dunfermline which hardly gets the sun, my heating has been on a few times already! Woud love some late summer high pressure dominated weather, hard to see at the moment though. On a good note, great lampost out side my back door so great for lamp watching if we get any snow!

It's great in a heatwave though. Everyone is complaining and my room is barely ever above 20c even in those hot days in July. However, in December 2010 the heating broke just before Christmas and upon returning to my room it was 3c. It's always Baltic. I like all the seasons really. I just hate when the weather at that time ends. Ie August and February. Hate when snow melts and when the nights start drawing in but then I get over it and look forward the following changes. You don't need a lampost just go out with a torch!

Posted

No way SWS, lampposts are the best for watching for snow, if it's a good lamppost you need nowt else. Some lampposts aren't up to much, but some are amazing :lol:

It's only because I don't have one.... :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Heating had to go on for a bit in our house yesterday evening, not that surprising as I'd noticed a single figure temperature reading on the weather station, the first for a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Is it bad that the heating in my house is on every single day of the year?? Well its my mum she's always cold but me and my dad think different. Its not really pleasant when its 20-odd degrees outside!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I hate this weather. Persistent, slow moving, heavy showers all sodding day. Drenched. Boots leak, gaiters given up, mud in the river, compound's a swamp, got another 2 hours before I can go and dry off... <need beer>

edit...

3 hours later: got beer!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Was out for a while last night and it was pretty baltic. Had dressed for a typical unsettled summer night, light jacket on, butit was totally inadequate.

Got me quite eager for the chill autumn nights to come. 

Posted

Temp got down to 5.6c in Leuchars last night. Cool but bright today, temp currently 12c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

After a low of 5.4C overnight into Tues, last night we reached a low of 2.7C (air temp) under clear skies.Didn't measure the ground temp, but the veggies look to have survived okay this morning.Beeb talked of lows of 2C last night for some of the glens, so guess this place qualifies for that description. Pleasant today: some sunshine and currently 14.9C. Autumnal.

• Like 2

Posted

Cold last night then a reasonable pleasant start to the day, blotted out by heavy showers as a prelude to steadily increasing rain. Now persistent moderate rain and 8C. Hat and gloves soon.  Tomorrow looks utterly awful. :ninja:

Roll on next summer - or emigrate, cos it ain't getting any better soon.

On the plus side, it's too cold for midges or keds :D

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

After telling a grain buyer last week that the weather now reminded me of the horror harvest of  1985 I was speaking to another farmer today who said here on the south side of the Moray Firth we are paying the price of the really good winter and spring/early summer we had.  Combines   cannot travel in fields  on the lower coastal plain without sinking even with tracks and some farmers near Forres with standing water in their crops are blaming the new flood prevention works for pushing more water into their fields.  Another very damp dull day and currently 8c. We are in desperate need of a drier spell.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

After telling a grain buyer last week that the weather now reminded me of the horror harvest of  1985 I was speaking to another farmer today who said here on the south side of the Moray Firth we are paying the price of the really good winter and spring/early summer we had.  Combines   cannot travel in fields  on the lower coastal plain without sinking even with tracks and some farmers near Forres with standing water in their crops are blaming the new flood prevention works for pushing more water into their fields.  Another very damp dull day and currently 8c. We are in desperate need of a drier spell.

Amazing the difference between what you are describing and here. Apart from the rain this morning, it's been almost a week since any heavy rain. Only, showers have arrived and many being light, with a lot of sunshine (if rather chilly for the time of year - around 15c or just scraping above). Chilly nights for the time of year but yesterday did reach 17.6c which isn't horrific but still 1.7c below average.I hope it dries up where you are but here due to having a fair bit of land to my West/North-West many showers haven't been that bad with a lot of sunshine.When do blackberries etc normally become ripe? I'mSure this year is pretty early with most being about a week away I'd say and some being able to be picked from the hedges

Posted

Amazing the difference between what you are describing and here. Apart from the rain this morning, it's been almost a week since any heavy rain. Only, showers have arrived and many being light, with a lot of sunshine (if rather chilly for the time of year - around 15c or just scraping above).Chilly nights for the time of year but yesterday did reach 17.6c which isn't horrific but still 1.7c below average.I hope it dries up where you are but here due to having a fair bit of land to my West/North-West many showers haven't been that bad with a lot of sunshine.When do blackberries etc normally become ripe? I'mSure this year is pretty early with most being about a week away I'd say and some being able to be picked from the hedges

This is the problem all plants are operating two weeks ahead of normal because of  absolutelyperfect growing condtions in early summer and (in my opinion) background rising CO2 levels enhancing the growth even futher which is why the barley was ripe when Bertha struck up here and with it being heavier and taller than normal its gone flat under the onslaught from rain and wind along with wheat and oats.With a lot of farmers using pre harvest Roundup(Never use it here as we are so exposed to wind at the top of the hill) making the crop weaker than ever it was a disaster waiting to happen. Potatoes will also be suffering with waterlogged ground.We need 2 weeks dry weather just to dry out the ground.After a wet morning the sun has come out and its currently 16c

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

That's not good NL.

Also, what leads to you to conclude that background CO2 is rising? I'm guessing this could be measured...

Just curious.

Posted

That's not good NL.Also, what leads to you to conclude that background CO2 is rising? I'm guessing this could be measured...Just curious.

Don"t know about your neck of the woods but plant growth here this summer has been phenominal and I find it hard to believe that perfect weather is the only cause. i have never seen such crop or tree growth.If you had tomatoes in a commercial greenhouse you would add CO2 to increase yields.

When Aurora Storm(Daughter with Phd Astrophysics) was home in the summer we discussed this and came up with CO2 in the atmosphere which she says is creeping up year by year.

Of all the plants peas in the garden are 2 feet above their stakes and second cut red clover which is now 2 feet high having been cut at the end of June are showing the most extravagent growth.Did a bit of research online and it turns out that legumes(peas and clover ) are even more responsive to raised CO2 levels.

Grain prices have more than halved in the last year so something to increase yields on a world wide scale must be happening to send us from a scarcity of grain to a surplus. This is purely a personal opinion but it may explain some of the above.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

A really heavy shower at lunchtime with hail, thunder and lightning. Other than that showery with a few sunny spells. Cool again with the high at 17c.

Posted

A really heavy shower at lunchtime with hail, thunder and lightning. Other than that showery with a few sunny spells. Cool again with the high at 17c.

17C, cool? It's not topped 14C on the north coast all week, which is crap for August, even here.

Agree with NL's notes re plant and tree growth. Been watching some trees reaching for the sky this summer (ok, they've all but stopped the last couple of weeks) as well as various peas and beans in the garden at home.  I reckon legumes are the crop to go for in future, if you have an enthusiastic family to consume them.

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for the reply NL. Growth has been significant here but weather (from a growers perspective) has been pretty much perfect. I doubt it will be beat for a few years. However, an increase in carbon dioxide could be having an effect. Interesting anyway.

Not a bad day again but some heavy showers at times. Feels like early April out there when it should be more like early May temp wise.

• Like 1

Posted

This is turning into a disappointing August- with hardly any warmth to speak of.

Lol - understatement of the month :rofl:  !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Still mighty cool up here for August. The central heating is not going on yet, but I have had the fire on in the sitting room for the last week. I live in hope that September will not disappoint!

• Like 2

Posted

Local 7 day forecast looking better for us in the north next week, wind from a better direction for those of us to the east of the mountains. After a wet morning at paperwork the weather has cleared to bright interveals and scattered showers, currently 13.8c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1