Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion for 06/0614 - 07-06-14

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

And they totally died when they reached Thetford.....:p

later with any luck you could be in a good area, if you can travel i would head towards the Wash. (if any thing develops)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

No lightning detected over the UK in the past 30 minutes. Poor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

One things for certain, they don't make Spanish Plumes like they used too.  This is just a rainy day like any other.  Heard a distant rumble around 8am but that was it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

One things for certain, they don't make Spanish Plumes like they used too. This is just a rainy day like any other. Heard a distant rumble around 8am but that was it.

I've noticed that unfortunately in recent years any plumes we do get have been the result of a rather deep Low pressure system to our W/SW, rather than a slack Low which would be more ideal.I think one factor may be the fact with the Jet tending to be more South in recent Summers, this allows any systems to push in more quickly, not allowing the proper heat and unstable air masses to stay for very long. For example, if the Jet was North of the UK and a thundery low developed in the Bay of Biscay heading North, it is more likely to provide those 'classic' Spanish plume storms. Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2

Posted

With clearer skys coming up from the South, looking like this area is the best chance of surface based storms and maybe a supercell from solar heating up till around 18z,

post-18801-0-02532000-1402141190_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

With clearer skys coming up from the South, looking like this area is the best chance of surface based storms and maybe a supercell from solar heating up till around 18z,

Posted Imagerisk.jpg

East again doing a very good potential and while here in the north-west is doing no chance!! I feeling jello now and left out. :angry:

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Certainly very humid out there. Rminds me of abroad actually.

Posted

Nothing but rain here but all I see on Facebook is "thunder!" its all around me but not over me. Seen no flashes heard no thunder. Lucky I didn't do an all nighter. Guess I had my fun in May. Happy for those of you who have had good ones!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Dewpoints in the region of 17-18c across the eastern half of the area behind the rain should be making it feel very humid. Some juicy air still in place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Dewpoints in the region of 17-18c across the eastern half of the area behind the rain should be making it feel very humid. Some juicy air still in place.

heading from grantham to boston hoping something fires in the juicy air!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Nothing but rain here but all I see on Facebook is "thunder!" its all around me but not over me. Seen no flashes heard no thunder. Lucky I didn't do an all nighter. Guess I had my fun in May. Happy for those of you who have had good ones!

Don't see any lightning detections in N Wales.

14.9°C dew point here. Is that good?

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

I've noticed that unfortunately in recent years any plumes we do get have been the result of a rather deep Low pressure system to our W/SW, rather than a slack Low which would be more ideal.I think one factor may be the fact with the Jet tending to be more South in recent Summers, this allows any systems to push in more quickly, not allowing the proper heat and unstable air masses to stay for very long.For example, if the Jet was North of the UK and a thundery low developed in the Bay of Biscay heading North, it is more likely to provide those 'classic' Spanish plume storms.

Agreed, the sharpness of the trough digging down into the tropical region accompanied by its proximity to the UK has meant a very invigorated jet streak pushing violent systems into the near continent. There is just too much cloud debris left behind to create the heating for continuous cell formation. What happened to the night of storms followed by a beautiful clear morning to start afresh the next day.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Heavy-ish rain humid but not thundery at all this lot....beef and ale pie on the hob...☕

Cleared up down here now, just waiting for the sun to come out.... spag bowl me Posted Image

Posted

Is there any chance of anything in the West Country today or tonight? Or is it a case of waiting for another plume to be in with a chance of anything?

Rain easing here now but it feels very warm and sticky. I know eastern areas are favoured but we're in with a shout here as well :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Bust here for today I'm afraid. Sunny first thing but then the crud and thundery rain (minus the thunder of course), courtesy of the activity of France last night I knew that was bad news and said so :cc_confused: ), arrived around 10:00 and it has been overcast and pouring ever since. The cloud shield has now filled-in to the cold front so there will be no insolation so that's it for here for today.

Decided to go shopping in Hull instead.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hard to believe that its 18 years this evening that a plume did deliver and did give notable hailstorms!

Not a million miles away from today's synoptics.... i rememeber it well.

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Is there any chance of anything in the West Country today or tonight? Or is it a case of waiting for another plume to be in with a chance of anything?

I think only chance is perhaps the odd isolated heavy shower - depends if they develop later when it starts to reach peak warmth.

Other than that, perhaps something Monday? But precip charts don't really show much for us at this time.

Posted

Hard to believe that its 18 years this evening that a plume did deliver and did give notable hailstorms!

If it's the day I'm thinking of, I had bruises from the 30mm hail. I was living in Cambridgeshire at the time and got to cycle home from work in it. The days leading up to the storms had temps up to 30C in that area, unlike thus plume.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

I wish the sun would come out,been raining since 11:00. Nice little thunderstorm between 7&8am though so I'm pleased. Doubt there will be anything else here today...and I'm stuck inside because of the rain.