Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

Sounds good. I travel quite a lot with my work (not nearly as much as pre-Covid, though) and generally enjoy any variety: time of year, changing light and colour, different parts of the country, the different natural landscape etc. In spite of my 'coldie' status, I do occasionally encounter problems with driving when there is ice on untreated roads, or fog and people drive like loonies. But often-times a variety of weather keeps me interested! 

• Like 2

Posted

Another shift in my psyche takes place around now, as we move through autumn equinox week, triggered largely by the rate of light loss. On wet overcast afternoons, a general gloom prevails and by half 7 its preety dark.

The shifts in psyche occur as follows:

Second week Feb - a subtle one, but a feeling deepest darkest winter has gone for another year.

Clocks forward day, second most significant change in feel of the year

Mid May - significant shift almost hitting lightest part of the year.

Second week August - subtle, wave goodbye to high summer state

Autumn equinox week - more significant. any vestige of summer feel gone.

Clocks back - most significant shift, almost deep winter feel

Around New Year- v. subtle but a turn in the corner, still lots of darkness ahead.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
19 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Yes the vernal equinox is now just upon us ,roughly 12 hours light/ 12 hours dark, but the really dark days are just around the corner ,and by early November after we put the clocks back ,it'll be like living in a dark cave for weeks ....Yuk ,I can't wait !😢😢😢

Sorry Autumnal Equinox. ....😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

I'm unlikely to post much on this in the coming months other than to moan about the over-early change to GMT as I always do, but all I can say is, counting down the days until late January which is when I start to notice the lengthening days.

Only four months to go I guess, and, trying to be optimistic, we're now nearer April 2024 than February 2023 (which doesn't seem so long ago).

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
On 19/09/2023 at 18:09, damianslaw said:

Another shift in my psyche takes place around now, as we move through autumn equinox week, triggered largely by the rate of light loss. On wet overcast afternoons, a general gloom prevails and by half 7 its preety dark.

Second week Feb - a subtle one, but a feeling deepest darkest winter has gone for another year.

Around New Year- v. subtle but a turn in the corner, still lots of darkness ahead.

Interesting, this is not dissimilar to what I feel.

I will order it to save the best for last.

So, starting in August: I'd also say about August 10 is when I start to notice darker evenings, and this is also the time when strong heatwaves become much less likely. Essentially beyond that date it's no longer pure summer, but a summer-autumn mix.

Around the autumn equinox is also the next one for me, not just because of the light but also because there is often a marked deterioration in the weather, though this year is particularly bad in that respect. The last time we had a settled end to September was 2018, though we seem to be going through a particularly bad run of late Septembers.

Then the clocks going back of course, this feels like a descent into absolute winter with sunset earlier than at the end of January. The lop-sided days don't help. While I can see the need for GMT for a short period round the equinox, we move the clocks back several weeks too early and end up with the ridiculous state of affairs in which we have pre-7am sunrises and pre-5pm sunsets. Suits those on early shifts but just about no-one else.

A few weeks later, mid Nov, is when we move into the absolute solstitial period of intense darkness, and you think maybe the conditions at the end of October weren't so bad in comparison. Daylight is extremely restricted and it's difficult to have lunch at the weekend and then do an outdoor activity.

This then starts to ease around mid Jan when the evenings get noticeably that bit lighter, with sun setting beyond 4.30pm. However it can be delayed if the weather is gloomy; we've been very lucky to have fine weather in the second half of Jan for two consecutive years now.

Early Feb with post-5pm sunsets is the next change.

Then late Feb if weather is fine, early March if not, with light extending beyond 6pm and many signs of spring.

Then the clocks going forward on the last Sunday of March, one of the most joyous times of year.

Then perhaps late April with the trees in leaf and spring flowering at its peak, and evenings becoming seriously light.

Finally late May is when the really long light evenings of high summer come into play.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
3 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

So, starting in August: I'd also say about August 10 is when I start to notice darker evenings, and this is also the time when strong heatwaves become much less likely. Essentially beyond that date it's no longer pure summer, but a summer-autumn mix.

Around the autumn equinox is also the next one for me, not just because of the light but also because there is often a marked deterioration in the weather, though this year is particularly bad in that respect. The last time we had a settled end to September was 2018, though we seem to be going through a particularly bad run of late Septembers.

Then the clocks going back of course, this feels like a descent into absolute winter with sunset earlier than at the end of January. The lop-sided days don't help. While I can see the need for GMT for a short period round the equinox, we move the clocks back several weeks too early and end up with the ridiculous state of affairs in which we have pre-7am sunrises and pre-5pm sunsets. Suits those on early shifts but just about no-one else.

A few weeks later, mid Nov, is when we move into the absolute solstitial period of intense darkness, and you think maybe the conditions at the end of October weren't so bad in comparison. Daylight is extremely restricted and it's difficult to have lunch at the weekend and then do an outdoor activity.

This then starts to ease around mid Jan when the evenings get noticeably that bit lighter, with sun setting beyond 4.30pm. However it can be delayed if the weather is gloomy; we've been very lucky to have fine weather in the second half of Jan for two consecutive years now.

Then late Feb if weather is fine, early March if not, with light extending beyond 6pm and many signs of spring.

Then the clocks going forward on the last Sunday of March, one of the most joyous times of year.

Then perhaps late April with the trees in leaf and spring flowering at its peak, and evenings becoming seriously light.

Finally late May is when the really long light evenings of high summer come into play.

Ah late May, no finer point in the year I say!

• Like 2

Posted
On 21/09/2023 at 11:11, Summer8906 said:

Describes my feelings to a tee with those timings. By December you kind of just accept the darkness but the run up to it through October and November is so depressing.

Also agree about the ridiculous situation with the clocks. Stupidly early sunrises in March and wasted daylight in the evenings.

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

Describes my feelings to a tee with those timings. By December you kind of just accept the darkness but the run up to it through October and November is so depressing.

Also agree about the ridiculous situation with the clocks. Stupidly early sunrises in March and wasted daylight in the evenings.

Dark Sunday just over 5 weeks away, 30 October. That first Sunday evening comes as a major psychological shock. You go from warm autumnal hue feel to almost deep winter feel. Too sudden, and knowing there are 2 long dark months to come. October always has that feel of water running through your fingers, i.e. water is a metaphor for 'light'  Clear sunny weekends in October do wonders, wet overcast ones, are a no no, knowing what is still to come.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
On 19/09/2023 at 18:09, damianslaw said:

Very accurate @damianslaw.

Clocks back is the most significant day for me.  Ushers in the ‘darkness’.  

6th Feb is my birthday.  I’m usually pretty low by then with SAD, but the creeping increase in daylight is very noticeable by then, the worst is behind.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Maz said:

Very accurate @damianslaw.

Clocks back is the most significant day for me.  Ushers in the ‘darkness’.  

6th Feb is my birthday.  I’m usually pretty low by then with SAD, but the creeping increase in daylight is very noticeable by then, the worst is behind.

Overall November has to be the hardest month for winter SAD sufferers. Those who enjoy christmas can just about cope with December may be. Indeed if it wasn't for christmas, December woukd be exceptiinally bad in this respect, though there are people who don't care for it. It is a brake in the gloom and the extra lights help brighten up things. 

Mornings in first half of Jan, perhaps the low point of the year.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted

It's officially the Autumn Equinox at 7:50 am (Saturday) which marks the transitional change from the long summer daylight hours to longer night-time hours once again, on the plus side at least there's only 6 months left until the Spring Equinox in 2024, for me the worst time of year is Jan/Feb when the weather is too temperamental and the Christmas/New Years season is over & done with. Those 8 weeks waiting for the longer daylight hours to come back again just feel like a chore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

As much as I welcome the increased daylight around the date of the clocks going forward, I tend to find it a bit if a false Dawn, as the temperature up here rarely rises in tandem. In fact some of our coldest feeling weather of the year can be in spring, if we get stuck under the wrong pattern. It’s quite discombobulating.

I tend to like this time of year, I think it’s nice to squeeze out the last of the decent sunlight (if we get it) and daylight. Becoming less and less of a fan of winter though so I’m trying not to focus on what’s ahead 😂

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 22/09/2023 at 21:13, damianslaw said:

Dark Sunday just over 5 weeks away, 30 October. That first Sunday evening comes as a major psychological shock. You go from warm autumnal hue feel to almost deep winter feel. Too sudden, and knowing there are 2 long dark months to come. October always has that feel of water running through your fingers, i.e. water is a metaphor for 'light'  Clear sunny weekends in October do wonders, wet overcast ones, are a no no, knowing what is still to come.

Indeed, I do wonder whether turning the clocks back just 30 mins would be a reasonable compromise between those who prefer all-round BST and those who prefer GMT?

I also wonder why we have to change on a Sunday. You just lose one hour of weekend leisure time, whereas if the clocks went back on a Monday, you'd be working and probably wouldn't be doing leisure activities between 5-6pm anyway.

Similarly, it would be nice if the clocks went on, on a Saturday, as then you'd get both days of the weekend with long light evenings.

(In fact, to try and artificially extend BST by one day, I often keep my clocks set on BST on that Sunday, because I rarely have any commitments where I need to be at a certain place at a certain time).

I agree that fine weather in October is good for shortening the dark months. In fact, if we do get a fine October I often go out at the weekends more than in the summer, knowing that it's the last opportunity for vaguely-light afternoons until February, and the last opportunity for warm and sunny until typically March.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
On 22/09/2023 at 22:11, damianslaw said:

Overall November has to be the hardest month for winter SAD sufferers. Those who enjoy christmas can just about cope with December may be. Indeed if it wasn't for christmas, December woukd be exceptiinally bad in this respect, though there are people who don't care for it. It is a brake in the gloom and the extra lights help brighten up things. 

I'd probably say late November to early January is the worst for me, with December the hardest month (particularly with the northwest European climate in which December seems to be one long dark, drizzly southwesterly most years). Early-mid November you at least have the autumn colours so things are less depressing than the stark deadness of early winter.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
On 22/09/2023 at 15:10, ManiaMuse said:

It doesn't bother me in March as much as it does in November, because the sun sets at a half-sensible time in March even with GMT.

Regarding the early switch back, there seems to be something incredibly puritanical and "anti-fun" about setting the clocks so that the sun rises before 7am and sets before 5pm, as is the case at the end of October and very start of November.

However I also do not see the point of waiting until the very end of March. Next year is one of those infuriating years in which we have to wait until March 31 for BST - it's just a few weeks to summer by then! And I believe that's Easter Day, so you're having Good Friday and Easter Saturday under GMT which spoils the atmosphere of the holiday weekend. An Easter weekend in which it's half-dark by 7pm just doesn't seem like Easter.

Up to and including 1980 the clocks went forward earlier around mid March.

GMT should be seen more as a "necessary evil" for the very darkest time of year only, rather than the default state for the winter half-year, and cut dramatically. Mid-Nov to mid-Feb would probably suffice, before and after that the mornings aren't that dark even with BST.

In 1995 we had a really silly early "Dark Sunday" for some unbeknown reason: October 22. I believe that year was unique since 1970 in having such an early switch to GMT. And, in 1996, we had the dreaded March 31 return to BST. A long GMT season indeed! At least October 1995 was unusually warm and sunny, of course, which mitigated things somewhat, and the long GMT winter was the snowiest between 1992 and 2008 inclusive. Imagine how depressing it would have been with a wet autumn and mild, dull winter in 1995/6!

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
On 23/09/2023 at 00:00, toggerobz said:

It's officially the Autumn Equinox at 7:50 am (Saturday) which marks the transitional change from the long summer daylight hours to longer night-time hours once again, on the plus side at least there's only 6 months left until the Spring Equinox in 2024, for me the worst time of year is Jan/Feb when the weather is too temperamental and the Christmas/New Years season is over & done with. Those 8 weeks waiting for the longer daylight hours to come back again just feel like a chore.

HATE that my birthday (the 23rd) often falls on the turn over into the sh****st six months of the year.

Into that very pointless feeling time of the year now until the clocks go back. It may as well be the 4/5pm sunsets now and be done with it!

Edited by ChannelThunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I must be one of the very few weird individuals who welcomes the dark nights with open arms 😂...I love the cosy nights in front of the fire, the dark mornings. I enjoy the summer evenings too, but I definitely prefer this time of year onwards to the summer months 😁

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 22/09/2023 at 15:11, damianslaw said:

100% agree ..here the latest sunset is Dec 13th and the latest Sunrise is Jan 3rd ..so mornings continue to darken very slightly until well after Xmas so for an early riser things don't start to change until a long while after the solstice in the morning

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, ChannelThunder said:

HATE that my birthday (the 23rd) often falls on the turn over into the sh****st six months of the year.

Into that very pointless feeling time of the year now until the clocks go back. It may as well be the 4/5pm sunsets now and be done with it!

Happy belated birthday. 🥳

• Thanks 1

Posted

December can be exceptionally trying under dull conditions, which often prevail. Such days and it never seems to get light. In yesteryear we used to have fog all day under anticyclonic gloom, such days were dark. We don't seem to have them anymore.

As for January, always think we should just hibernate.. especially first 10 days or so, people go into hibernation mode after the christmas excesses, but a sunny cold crisp day in quiet January does the soul a world of good. Something quite special about such days. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, ChannelThunder said:

Yes! I hate this time of year. You know it's coming it's like a slow death! October is my.worst month.

• Thanks 1

Posted

I hate March. February you can still get cracking cold weather, April some lovely sunny days and spring flowers. March is just a month of cold wind.

And when Easter is in March, it seems such a waste having 4 days off when the weather is just boring and chilly. Easter is a moveable feast, so I've heard - so move it to June!!

In 33 days time, sunset here will be 4.41pm. I love autumn...but afternoon sunsets are depressing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yes! I hate this time of year. You know it's coming it's like a slow death! October is my.worst month.

Exactly! The only thing that keeps me ticking over, weather-wise, is if we get a proper wet and stormy October, or perhaps a little Indian summer. Last year's plume-style thunderstorms did add some massive interest to the month too, but you can't count on that happening again for good few years!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning everyone. 🙂

Just a mere 13 days to go now until the clock change from BST back to GMT. 🙂

I know that many will totally disagree with me, (and if you do, hey that's absolutely fine... We're all different) but I've always found the time around the clock change weekend in October, and Halloween particularly special and magical. 🎃

For me personally, the sheer horrors of the sun being overhead in the summer, and its seemingly nonstop 24/7 daylight are now but a dim and distant bad memory. 😅

... Until next April that is. Lol 😔

• Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning everyone. 🙂

Just a mere 13 days to go now until the clock change from BST back to GMT. 🙂

I know that many will totally disagree with me, (and if you do, hey that's absolutely fine... We're all different) but I've always found the time around the clock change weekend in October, and Halloween particularly special and magical. 🎃

For me personally, the sheer horrors of the sun being overhead in the summer, and its seemingly nonstop 24/7 daylight are now but a dim and distant bad memory. 😅

... Until next April that is. Lol 😔

The clocks going back Sunday marks the most significant shift in state of mind psychologically. It is very abrupt, and does change how I feel. An immediate winter state of mind sets in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1