Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
12 hours ago, Don said:

We will always get the odd rogue summer, even in a warming climate!  Very likely there will be plenty more decent summers than poor in future!

We will still get poor summers. Most od them have been poor or mediocre between 2014 until now, apart from 2018 and 2022.

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

We will still get poor summers. Most od them have been poor or mediocre between 2014 until now, apart from 2018 and 2022.

Yes I know we will, but the fact is with the world continuing to warm (potentially at a more rapid pace) hot summers will very likely outweigh cooler ones.  I don't think up until 2023 (which is now looking rather poor after the hot June) we have had any particularly poor summer since 2013, but that's just my own perception and obviously that will differ from others like yourself, which is fine of course.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes I know we will, but the fact is with the world continuing to warm (potentially at a more rapid pace) hot summers will very likely outweigh cooler ones.  I don't think up until 2023 (which is now looking rather poor after the hot June) we have had any particularly poor summer since 2013, but that's just my own perception and obviously that will differ from others like yourself, which is fine of course.

I take your point, but it’s like saying we won’t see snow ever again. Who’s the say a severe snowy spell could be the result of a warming climate, and I don’t mean a 1-2 day dump of snow, but something really bad like 10-14 days of snowfall. 

Summers have been disappointing during most of the 10s for me personally, and only 2022 has been decent from the 2020s.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

If you look back for instance 1911 was red hot and 1912 was Cold and wet, the point being very similar contrasts to this summer and last summer. All in All ,changeable summers will always be the novelty of the British weather, nothing new in these back to back contrasting weather patterns. Anyway, time is now ticking along and it will soon be darkish by 8pm by the end of this month.....where as the time gone😦

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

If you look back for instance 1911 was red hot and 1912 was Cold and wet, the point being very similar contrasts to this summer and last summer. All in All ,changeable summers will always be the novelty of the British weather, nothing new in these back to back contrasting weather patterns. Anyway, time is now ticking along and it will soon be darkish by 8pm by the end of this month.....where as the time gone😦

It does tend to feel to me, once you move past June 30th, the year really does move along much faster and summer fades before you have time to enjoy it.

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I take your point, but it’s like saying we won’t see snow ever again. Who’s the say a severe snowy spell could be the result of a warming climate, and I don’t mean a 1-2 day dump of snow, but something really bad like 10-14 days of snowfall. 

Yes, this is a good point as we don't know the full implications of what a warming country could have on the UK at this stage and could undergo more extremes i.e. more frequent heatwaves and freezes etc. 

Posted

Noticed the daylight coming in later as I get up for work this morning.

Also felt quite chilly for the first time since early June. Hints of moving back to Autumn already here, but hopefully the coming hot snap will warm things up again.

Nice clear morning though with a full moon. Very fresh feeling.

Posted

Overcast here at the moment, but sky showng signs of some brightness trying to break through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

The evenings are getting darker compared to what they were a few weeks ago. It was fully dark by about 10pm for my area I can now tell the days are getting shorter which isnt fully bad. I like daylengths between say 10 and 14 hours long. Long enough to enjoy some solid daylight but also some cozy darkness later in the day. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning everyone. 🙂

Well the past two weeks I’ve been on the earlies shift, and I’ve noticed the increasing darkness coming along at a fair ole pace in what most normal folk would call the middle of the night. 😁

On Monday the 24th of July there was still a dim blue glow in the sky at 03:30, but by last Friday, (4th of August) it was gone! Admittedly there has been a lot of cloud cover which probably has skewed my perception.

But now I’ve got a week of lates… So the move towards darker evenings will probably be really noticeable. 🙂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Im officially in the pre 9pm sunset zone now. I work till 9pm some evenings and have noticed headlights on car is needed now it felt very autumnal this morning for some reason don’t normally get that feeling until last week of august here.

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning everyone. 🙂

Well the past two weeks I’ve been on the earlies shift, and I’ve noticed the increasing darkness coming along at a fair ole pace in what most normal folk would call the middle of the night. 😁

On Monday the 24th of July there was still a dim blue glow in the sky at 03:30, but by last Friday, (4th of August) it was gone! Admittedly there has been a lot of cloud cover which probably has skewed my perception.

But now I’ve got a week of lates… So the move towards darker evenings will probably be really noticeable. 🙂

Repent, the end is nigh!

• Like 1

Posted

Today marks the last evening with a sunset post 9pm. Alas its a dull evening with low light since 8pm.

The onset of pre 9pm sunsets also marks the turning point in the summer for me, high summer disappears and we welcome late summer. More than the weather conditions, it is light levels that punctuates the feel of the season.

Sadly this year, we have not beneffited from twilight since the solstice given how much cloud and rain we've had. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
On 05/08/2023 at 15:31, Sunny76 said:

Summers have been disappointing during most of the 10s for me personally, and only 2022 has been decent from the 2020s.

With respect, I just disagree with you. Summer's are (generally, not in a linear sense) getting warmer, and winters are getting milder. The trend is clear, it doesn't mean that each and every year is progressively so. I know that I got lambasted when I mentioned the CET, so I won't go too far down that route again...but against the WMO recommended 1961-1990 benchmark, the July that we just had was 0.2c warmer than average. I'm not disputing that it was wetter (much wetter) and duller than average, of course...

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Today marks the last evening with a sunset post 9pm. Alas its a dull evening with low light since 8pm.

The onset of pre 9pm sunsets also marks the turning point in the summer for me, high summer disappears and we welcome late summer. More than the weather conditions, it is light levels that punctuates the feel of the season.

Sadly this year, we have not beneffited from twilight since the solstice given how much cloud and rain we've had. 

Yes, I've noticed that too - the excessive cloud cover has deprived us of good sunsets, at least in my neck of the woods. Whilst I'm not overly upset about the summer not being roasting hot, I do miss clear skies and sunsets. Got some great photos from years gone by, nothing this year though! 

It's darker noticeably earlier now, it does feel as though a staging post has been passed.

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

With respect, I just disagree with you. Summer's are (generally, not in a linear sense) getting warmer, and winters are getting milder. The trend is clear, it doesn't mean that each and every year is progressively so. I know that I got lambasted when I mentioned the CET, so I won't go too far down that route again...but against the WMO recommended 1961-1990 benchmark, the July that we just had was 0.2c warmer than average. I'm not disputing that it was wetter (much wetter) and duller than average, of course...

Warmer doesn’t necessarily mean they are better though.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Warmer doesn’t necessarily mean they are better though.

We definitely agree on that. Warmer can mean wetter, cloudier...which I think a good few of us (we two included?!) definitely don't like...!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 07/08/2023 at 15:30, Sunny76 said:

Repent, the end is nigh!

Come over to the dark side @Sunny76... We have chocolate chip cookies. Lol 🍪🍪🍪😁

• Thanks 1

Posted

And swerving swiftly back on topic... I have to say that being on lates this week, I'm really shocked (in a pleasant way) at how much the darkness has come on at the evening end of the day! 😃

Mind you, in just over six weeks we'll be at the autumn equinox! 

• Like 3

Posted

Starting to notice the drop in light levels when I wake up on Sundays at 5am. Also, noticing the nights drawing in around 8:30ish now.

Losing the daylight much quicker compared to just a week or so ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

The change is noticeable, and my PC goes into dark mode at a certain time each night; it's not long ago it was about 21:40-50. This evening it was before 21:00.....

• Like 1

Posted

Into late summer time now, even clear evenings result in darker skies by 9pm. The pace of light loss ramps up and becomes more and more noticeable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Yes in two weeks time it will be almost dark by 8pm ……..💤

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Into late summer time now, even clear evenings result in darker skies by 9pm. The pace of light loss ramps up and becomes more and more noticeable. 

Yeah, technically mid august now, as it’s 13th day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I consider round about now to be the end of high summer and the beginning of late summer now that the shortening daylight hours are a lot more noticeable. I also find that between now and Christmas the year whizzes by.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1