Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
28 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

Does it matter?

I think its a perfectly reasonable post/enquiry from @sarahng as a reply to a post on a public forum, it is up to the OP whether they choose to reply is it not?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Seasonal Trim said:

Does it matter?

Not sure about your reasons, but for me, darkness is "safer". No sun, means no heat.

Getting comfortable temperatures during any high pressure setup this time of year, is very difficult. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

I think its a perfectly reasonable post/enquiry from @sarahng as a reply to a post on a public forum, it is up to the OP whether they choose to reply is it not?

The reason I ask "does it matter" is that people on here seem to get all uppity about other peoples opinions and preferences. If the OP replies, that's fair enough. But, I stand by the fact that it doesn't matter why the OP prefers the darkness, they do and that shouldn't matter to anyone else.

• Like 5

Posted
7 hours ago, Seasonal Trim said:

The reason I ask "does it matter" is that people on here seem to get all uppity about other peoples opinions and preferences. If the OP replies, that's fair enough. But, I stand by the fact that it doesn't matter why the OP prefers the darkness, they do and that shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Some do get 'uppity' and thats upto to Mods to deal with but some people are genuinely intrigued and on a public forum they have the right to ask and i will stand by that fact 👍

Posted
13 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Some do get 'uppity' and thats upto to Mods to deal with but some people are genuinely intrigued and on a public forum they have the right to ask and i will stand by that fact 👍

Let's agree to disagree then, as far as I'm concerned, personal preference should be off limits for discussion.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Seasonal Trim said:

Let's agree to disagree then, as far as I'm concerned, personal preference should be off limits for discussion.

Fair enough, no worries but if you post about a preference don't be supprised if some people enquire as to why.

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting to note that sunset has been the same time since the solstice here, 21:50, tomorrow is the last day it is this late.. and a turning point. Mind today we had no sun and whole eve felt one long dull dusk. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

For my neck of the woods, sunset time has been the same since the solstice and remains the same until 30th June. The sunrise time has been getting slightly later by a few seconds each day though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 22/06/2023 at 13:42, ChannelThunder said:

Quite a lot of words in that post, but not a single one I can agree with! Just goes to show how different we all are 🙂

On 22/06/2023 at 19:52, sarahng said:

Could  you please enlighten us as to why you like darkness?  I truly don't understand.

Morning @ChannelThunderand @sarahng🙂

I’m so sorry for the delay in replying… Real life and what have you. 

I appreciate there are many, many folk, like your good selves, who totally disagree with me, and who can’t understand. 

I’ve never personally liked the summer period, whilst I admit I’m not a fan of the heat, I can accept that more due to the fact that it can generate thunderstorms. No pain, no gain as they say. Lol 😂 

But do you remember that autumn heatwave of late September, early October 2011? Now whilst we touched 29/30° I found that a lot more bearable due to the shorter days. 🙂

But for me, it’s that horrible glarey overhead summer sunlight that I truly hate. 
Back in 2005(? ish) I was diagnosed with autism … and for me there is just no escape from the light at this time of year. 
An example of how too much light can affect people is that my local Tesco’s now have ‘quiet times’ (usually early morning and late evening) where they turn off some of the in store lights… Needless to say, guess when I do my shopping? Lol 😂 🛒

It was thanks to the Netweather forum (don’t ask me which thread, as I honestly can’t remember) that I discovered ‘Reverse SAD’ or ‘Summer SAD’ was a thing! At that point I felt a little bit less like a weirdo, as I found out there were others,  many others like me. 😊

Plus going back years, and years ago to when I was little, if there was going to be a big family argument or row (which I absolutely hate) it would be summer time when it would happen. So bad memories like that all help to make me dread the mid summer period. 🙁

As folk have said on here, in the depths of winter, they like to escape to escape to South America, or Australia/New Zealand during the winter, I could gladly do that during the summer, just to escape the excess light that we have here. 

Now before anyone suggests it, as in why don’t I do that? I can assure you, that it’s not quite as easy as ‘just sorting out your finances and you’re off’. Family commitments, job, etc, etc… kinda prevent me from doing that. 

Now July and August, are both summer months… But I can tolerate these far better knowing that we’re on our way out of summer, rather than on the way in. 🙂

There was a period around 2015 -2019 when my summer SAD wasn’t too bad, and that includes 2018! But then in late April 2020, I sadly lost my Dad, and my Summer SAD returned with a vengeance… Like it was on steroids or something. 🙁

I really wish I could explain better to you both, but hey. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 22/06/2023 at 20:34, Wold Topper said:

Morning @Wold Topper and @Seasonal Trim 🙂

Read my post above. 
I have finally gotten round to replying. 🙂👍🏻

• Like 2

Posted
On 21/06/2023 at 21:13, Summer8906 said:

How do countries at similar latitude to, and close to us, such as the northern part of France, or Belgium cope in that case?

Even though places like Calais and Boulogne have basically the same winter climate as us, I'd probably find them much less SAD-inducing locations in winter thanks to being on the "right" timezone for my preferences.

On 21/06/2023 at 21:15, CreweCold said:

Well I’m not sure how to answer that question. However here, in central UK the sun wouldn’t rise until 9.20 in December under BST. So would you want that trade off on a cold, damp December morning just for one extra hr of light in an evening that probably wouldn’t even be useable?

The problem with the UK is that it is longer (north/south) than it is wide (east/west) and it is on a section of the earth where the curve does make more of a difference than it would have if the UK was further south. Its down to our geographical position on the Earth. 

Also you can't really compare northern France nor Belgium to the north of the UK. Belgium is a small country any case, makes little difference and as I mentioned before because where France is, the effect is less pronounce as it with the UK  from south to north

Length of daylight at winter solstice

Nice: 8hrs 55mins

Boulogne: 8hrs 15mins

Penzance: 8hrs 3mins

Aberdeen: 6hrs 40mins 

Arguments have been made for Scotland to have a different time zone to the rest of the UK but what about the far north of  England, counties like Cumbria and Northumberland? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter, hot summer
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

The problem with the UK is that it is longer (north/south) than it is wide (east/west) and it is on a section of the earth where the curve does make more of a difference than it would have if the UK was further south. Its down to our geographical position on the Earth. 

Also you can't really compare northern France nor Belgium to the north of the UK. Belgium is a small country any case, makes little difference and as I mentioned before because where France is, the effect is less pronounce as it with the UK  from south to north

Length of daylight at winter solstice

Nice: 8hrs 55mins

Boulogne: 8hrs 15mins

Penzance: 8hrs 3mins

Aberdeen: 6hrs 40mins 

Arguments have been made for Scotland to have a different time zone to the rest of the UK but what about the far north of  England, counties like Cumbria and Northumberland? 

I live in Scotland and would love summer time in winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

First post 5am sunrise will occur here on the 14th July. The last time the sunrise was 5am or later was 23rd May. By the 12th we'll be losing 2 mins of daylight per day.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
25 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

First post 5am sunrise will occur here on the 14th July. The last time the sunrise was 5am or later was 23rd May. By the 12th we'll be losing 2 mins of daylight per day.

Already at 5am here. Exactly one month ago was the last 5am.

Edit: My website just updated; 05:01 for sunrise. 🌞

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Already at 5am here. Exactly one month ago was the last 5am.

Edit: My website just updated; 05:01 for sunrise. 🌞

24th July here. Big differences the further north and east you go. Today's sunrise was 4.35am.

Posted

The cloudy evenings recently have resulted in quite abrupt dusks, certainly no lingering twilight conditions. Feels more akin to late July than early July.. 

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

The cloudy evenings recently have resulted in quite abrupt dusks, certainly no lingering twilight conditions. Feels more akin to late July than early July.. 

I noticed this last night. It was dark well before 10

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

sunrise is already 15 mins later than it was 2 weeks ago 

Posted
On 30/06/2023 at 06:08, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning @ChannelThunderand @sarahng🙂

I’m so sorry for the delay in replying… Real life and what have you. 

I appreciate there are many, many folk, like your good selves, who totally disagree with me, and who can’t understand. 

I’ve never personally liked the summer period, whilst I admit I’m not a fan of the heat, I can accept that more due to the fact that it can generate thunderstorms. No pain, no gain as they say. Lol 😂 

But do you remember that autumn heatwave of late September, early October 2011? Now whilst we touched 29/30° I found that a lot more bearable due to the shorter days. 🙂

But for me, it’s that horrible glarey overhead summer sunlight that I truly hate. 
Back in 2005(? ish) I was diagnosed with autism … and for me there is just no escape from the light at this time of year. 
An example of how too much light can affect people is that my local Tesco’s now have ‘quiet times’ (usually early morning and late evening) where they turn off some of the in store lights… Needless to say, guess when I do my shopping? Lol 😂 🛒

It was thanks to the Netweather forum (don’t ask me which thread, as I honestly can’t remember) that I discovered ‘Reverse SAD’ or ‘Summer SAD’ was a thing! At that point I felt a little bit less like a weirdo, as I found out there were others,  many others like me. 😊

Plus going back years, and years ago to when I was little, if there was going to be a big family argument or row (which I absolutely hate) it would be summer time when it would happen. So bad memories like that all help to make me dread the mid summer period. 🙁

As folk have said on here, in the depths of winter, they like to escape to escape to South America, or Australia/New Zealand during the winter, I could gladly do that during the summer, just to escape the excess light that we have here. 

Now before anyone suggests it, as in why don’t I do that? I can assure you, that it’s not quite as easy as ‘just sorting out your finances and you’re off’. Family commitments, job, etc, etc… kinda prevent me from doing that. 

Now July and August, are both summer months… But I can tolerate these far better knowing that we’re on our way out of summer, rather than on the way in. 🙂

There was a period around 2015 -2019 when my summer SAD wasn’t too bad, and that includes 2018! But then in late April 2020, I sadly lost my Dad, and my Summer SAD returned with a vengeance… Like it was on steroids or something. 🙁

I really wish I could explain better to you both, but hey. 

Hi there,

I suffer from SAD, so on the face of it find it hard to empathise with someone looking forward to the dark days.  However reading your and others posts on here I’ve come to understand.  

Also, I’m autistic, with heightened sensory perception for light.  I always wear sunglasses and a peaked cap April - September and often beyond.  Despite that I love bright days. However, once the light deficit really kicks in (December) I really struggle to keep functioning for a few weeks.

Anyway, was posting as it’s the first non overcast evening where I’ve noticed the light dipping earlier.  No big thing, months for me when light levels are perfectly adequate.  Still, something I always note, and  always brings that bit of dread to the back of my mind.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Starting notice a bit more darkness earlier in the evenings now, which is a welcome sign, won’t be long until we start to have the nights noticeably drawing in, although the next 8 weeks are the worst for me. I yearn for Autumn and as a reverse sad sufferer I can’t wait.  At least no major heat is currently forecast so that is a big plus.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I noticed this last night. It was dark well before 10

Can't say the same for here but my location is somewhat north west of you and we didn't have the rain you had in the south last night either.

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Maz said:

Hi there,

I suffer from SAD, so on the face of it find it hard to empathise with someone looking forward to the dark days.  However reading your and others posts on here I’ve come to understand.  

Also, I’m autistic, with heightened sensory perception for light.  I always wear sunglasses and a peaked cap April - September and often beyond.  Despite that I love bright days. However, once the light deficit really kicks in (December) I really struggle to keep functioning for a few weeks.

Anyway, was posting as it’s the first non overcast evening where I’ve noticed the light dipping earlier.  No big thing, months for me when light levels are perfectly adequate.  Still, something I always note, and  always brings that bit of dread to the back of my mind.

Good morning @Maz 🙂

Thank your understanding on Reverse SAD. I appreciate that not many folk do understand my craving for darkness. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind a bit of sunshine, but I also like my quota of darkness as well, and sadly I don’t get that at this time of year. 

This year has been a particularly tough and challenging one for me, mainly because June (from an IMBY perspective) was more or less none stop sunlight. Admittedly there were a couple of thunderstorms that made life a lot easier; but on the whole it felt like it was just none stop overhead glaring sunlight with no escape for me. 

• Like 4