Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

How absolutely beautiful are these long days!  I love that it starts to get light around 3.35 am and doesn't really get dark until after 10 pm.  I crave light, singing birds, beautiful trees and plants.  It's a shame we can't just 'stick' like this.  I don't even think I would hate winter so much if it weren't for the interminable darkness.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
2 hours ago, sarahng said:

How absolutely beautiful are these long days!  I love that it starts to get light around 3.35 am and doesn't really get dark until after 10 pm.  I crave light, singing birds, beautiful trees and plants.  It's a shame we can't just 'stick' like this.  I don't even think I would hate winter so much if it weren't for the interminable darkness.

Each their own, but I can't wait until it's dark by 6pm at least. Proper nights. No sun means no heat and it can't come soon enough

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
17 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

Each their own, but I can't wait until it's dark by 6pm at least. Proper nights. No sun means no heat and it can't come soon enough

I too love the long nights. I just find I tend to sleep better.

We hit the earliest sunrise tomorrow morning and level out at that for a week or so until they start to pull out once again. Another couple of weeks until the evenings start their journey of drawing in.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
On 12/06/2023 at 08:24, sarahng said:

If we could just stop the planet in this part of its orbit, that'd be grand wouldn't it? Year-round light and warmth.

Just to be clear, this is tongue-in-cheek. I'm aware we'd probably soon turn into a desert and our water supplies would be screwed forever, etc!

Edited by ResonantChannelThunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

While I wouldn't want dark nights all yr round ( not that it's possible of course) I find this time of Yr with near constant daylight a bit much. Just want to get to the 21st and go from there, that's the first psychological barrier. But 6 weeks either side of the 21st ,can do my head in, not so much the longer evenings more so the very early sunrises in particular. 

Edited by sundog
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Just one week to go until the summer solstice... I'm not gonna lie, since around mid May all I have had is inescapable warmth and that horrible glary overhead sun, so as a reverse SAD sufferer, this year has been absolute torture for me. 🥺

One more week... I can do this... Just one more week until the 'tide starts to turn'... This is now so close I can almost taste the finish line. 

Edit: I tell a small lie, as I did have four thunderstorms over the past weekend. 

Edited by Dangerous55019
To add a bit.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
13 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Just one week to go until the summer solstice... I'm not gonna lie, since around mid May all I have had is inescapable warmth and that horrible glary overhead sun, so as a reverse SAD sufferer, this year has been absolute torture for me. 🥺

One more week... I can do this... Just one more week until the 'tide starts to turn'... This is now so close I can almost taste the finish line. 

Edit: I tell a small lie, as I did have four thunderstorms over the past weekend. 

Yes I can't wait too. Birds starting to make a racket at 3:30am and the sun getting to work early heating the house up all fill me with dread. When the night's become longer than the days is really when a big smile goes on my face, that's almost always a sign we can say bye to heatwaves and winter isn't a million miles away.

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
2 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Yes I can't wait too. Birds starting to make a racket at 3:30am and the sun getting to work early heating the house up all fill me with dread. When the night's become longer than the days is really when a big smile goes on my face, that's almost always a sign winter we can say bye to heatwaves and winter isn't a million miles away.

Seconded, thirded and fourthed @Dark Horse🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
26 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

im the complete opposite. Its so dark here well into April and the darkness really returns by September that i only get a brief joy of early morning sunshine from May to August. Also the bitter cold makes the darkness even worse esp that December - March period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Find this time of year tiring to be honest, the dog  invariably wants to go out by about 0530 ,sometimes earlier. Because it's so light I can't get back to sleep, and so I end up completly bloody knackered .  At least in the Autumn and Winter the little so and so sleeps through to about 0700.

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, 78/79 said:

Find this time of year tiring to be honest, the dog  invariably wants to go out by about 0530 ,sometimes earlier. Because it's so light I can't get back to sleep, and so I end up completly bloody knackered .  At least in the Autumn and Winter the little so and so sleeps through to about 0700.

Sell the dog 😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
5 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Sell the dog 😂

He's a  13 year old Jack Russell,  sticks to me like glue.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Only a few more days to go until the boat turns around and we start heading back to shore. 😁

• Like 2

Posted
20 hours ago, sundog said:

Only a few more days to go until the boat turns around and we start heading back to shore. 😁

Yeah probably the 4 most vile weak of the year right now 😞

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 18/06/2023 at 05:32, Frostillicus said:

Yeah probably the 4 most vile weak of the year right now 😞

i think you mean the best 4 weeks of the year 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i think you mean the best 4 weeks of the year 

I know what I mean lol. No sun means no heat. That's the way I see it. 

If we could get sunny weather without heat, I'd welcome it. But in this country, that is incredibly difficult and never lasts long. So dark and/or wet it is.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
20 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Ah I'll say it two more days and the descent begins!

image.thumb.png.b10b6908f5a0d30a68cf3e19bf63fe10.png

Edited by ChannelThunder
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Morning all. 🙂

So, just to quote myself from the summer solstice thread… 

“Well, this is it… 21st of June 2023… The day of the summer solstice. 15:57 is the time when it happens… I’ll see you all on the other side of it”. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I wish it could be the longest day every day, better than Christmas lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1