44 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I wish it could be the longest day every day, better than Christmas lol

one advantage of living in NZ the longest day coincides with Xmas 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
10 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

one advantage of living in NZ the longest day coincides with Xmas 

i have enough money when i retire maybe this is plan b - live Sept - Mar in NZ and Mar - Sept in the UK then it will never be dark :drunk-emoji:

Posted

Lost my marker stone due to new path, but will build a marker into path when I get the time, have a year to do it now. Anyway, captured the exact second the sun was at zenith this year, 13:27 today, 59.4 degrees altitude. My shadow might be small, but at least I am casting one.

image.thumb.png.5d9c3f7ca39a5e871ece853272680da1.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

The time is 15:57 and at long, long last; the summer solstice has just occurred! 🥳

Yes folks, the pendulum has finally reached the end of its stroke!

Speaking as a reverse S.A.D. sufferer this is truly as bad as it can get! Around five weeks ago, my part of the world entered the world of the lingering twilight; I’m not gonna lie, those five weeks have been a long, long hard and torturous haul for me. 

Some people will say that we’re now on a slippery slope; but I see it as a break, a rest, a chance to enjoy the freewheel after an extremely long, and hard and arduous climb to the solstice. 

I’m looking forward to the increasing darkness, like welcoming an old friend who’s been away. 🙂

I’m fully aware that summer 2023 has still got a fair few nasty tricks up its sleeve, but this corner/milestone now being turned/reached is something that needs celebrating! 

In other words, I’m going to be celebrating the fact that we’re now on our way out of summer, instead of on the way in! 🥳

I’m also looking forward to the shortening of the days, gathering mists, and ripening fruits, as we now head towards autumn. 😊

Yes folks, cheer up; as there is darkness at the end of the tunnel! 😁👍🏻

🎵The summer sun is fading as the year grows old. 🎶 And darker days are drawing near. 🎶The winter winds will be much colder…🎵

Could contain:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

The long journey back go winter has begun..........

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i have enough money when i retire maybe this is plan b - live Sept - Mar in NZ and Mar - Sept in the UK then it will never be dark :drunk-emoji:

South Georgia and then the other half in Narvik

Posted
5 minutes ago, Downburst said:

South Georgia and then the other half in Narvik

no thanks im done with cold 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I would be happy living in a country that has equal daylight and night hours of the same length all year round. I believe that is the case in Singapore.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
33 minutes ago, sundog said:

The long journey back go winter has begun..........

It will stop at autumn and go straight back into summer

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
49 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

The time is 15:57 and at long, long last; the summer solstice has just occurred! 🥳

Yes folks, the pendulum has finally reached the end of its stroke!

Speaking as a reverse S.A.D. sufferer this is truly as bad as it can get! Around five weeks ago, my part of the world entered the world of the lingering twilight; I’m not gonna lie, those five weeks have been a long, long hard and torturous haul for me. 

Some people will say that we’re now on a slippery slope; but I see it as a break, a rest, a chance to enjoy the freewheel after an extremely long, and hard and arduous climb to the solstice. 

I’m looking forward to the increasing darkness, like welcoming an old friend who’s been away. 🙂

I’m fully aware that summer 2023 has still got a fair few nasty tricks up its sleeve, but this corner/milestone now being turned/reached is something that needs celebrating! 

In other words, I’m going to be celebrating the fact that we’re now on our way out of summer, instead of on the way in! 🥳

I’m also looking forward to the shortening of the days, gathering mists, and ripening fruits, as we now head towards autumn. 😊

Yes folks, cheer up; as there is darkness at the end of the tunnel! 😁👍🏻

🎵The summer sun is fading as the year grows old. 🎶 And darker days are drawing near. 🎶The winter winds will be much colder…🎵

Could contain:

The last month has been such a slog in the heat, getting to this point is at least some mental relief, the journey in Autumn has begun, will be ticking the weeks off, just the thought of those cool Autumnal mornings gives me comfort now in the most depressing period of the year, in the worst season of the year. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
37 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I would be happy living in a country that has equal daylight and night hours of the same length all year round. I believe that is the case in Singapore.

They have the same weather year round too as it's almost directly on the Equator. Hot, humid and just horrible. Good for thunder though but overall very boring with no variety.

Posted
18 minutes ago, markyo said:

The last month has been such a slog in the heat, getting to this point is at least some mental relief, the journey in Autumn has begun, will be ticking the weeks off, just the thought of those cool Autumnal mornings gives me comfort now in the most depressing period of the year, in the worst season of the year. 

Hi Markyo,

As a “conventional” SAD sufferer I know where you are coming from.  Winter Solstice for me is the darkest day, but also the start of there being a chink of light, a path to cling to.  Sounds exactly the same for you in reverse.  

Keep going, it will get darker and cooler, just like it will then get lighter and warmer.  We can’t stop the seasons so just need to make the best of them (unless we are able to re-locate for the season we struggle in of course, but that’s not an option for most).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Maz said:

Hi Markyo,

As a “conventional” SAD sufferer I know where you are coming from.  Winter Solstice for me is the darkest day, but also the start of there being a chink of light, a path to cling to.  Sounds exactly the same for you in reverse.  

Keep going, it will get darker and cooler, just like it will then get lighter and warmer.  We can’t stop the seasons so just need to make the best of them (unless we are able to re-locate for the season we struggle in of course, but that’s not an option for most).

Thank you mate, hope you can enjoy the best parts of summer, we are all different, we all need "our time of year", fingers crossed this summer will pan out for you ok, i know exactly how you feel. Grab what you can and remember it in mid winter dark times. I do the same, well nearly my dreams are of the snow and freezing temps in the darker nights! 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

They have the same weather year round too as it's almost directly on the Equator. Hot, humid and just horrible. Good for thunder though but overall very boring with no variety.

i could quite happily live in Singapore..when i was there yes its hot and humid outside but every space even underpasses are air conditioned also its super clean everywhere and people are happy and friendly 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i could quite happily live in Singapore..when i was there yes its hot and humid outside but every space even underpasses are air conditioned also its super clean everywhere and people are happy and friendly 

San Francisco wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't such a sheet hole..somehwere near by up or down the coast would do the trick..not hot in summer not cold in winter..not too dark in winter or too light in summer 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

One of the best days of the year!  Now we can look forward to the descent into darker evenings - in 2 months time it will begin to get dark at 8pm and can’t come a day sooner, roll on Autumn and begone this horrible warmth.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Season wise the solstice is mixed emotions for me, along climb from winter (post xmas) through the dark depressing days of January & February (Unless we have snow 😁) into the hope through spring of the summer ahead, i take consolation that we may have the best of the weather to come yet this summer but i am aware we have 'peaked' and the decent begins.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Wold Topper said:

Season wise the solstice is mixed emotions for me, along climb from winter (post xmas) through the dark depressing days of January & February (Unless we have snow 😁) into the hope through spring of the summer ahead, i take consolation that we may have the best of the weather to come yet this summer but i am aware we have 'peaked' and the decent begins.

marks the half way point for morning daylight for me..i get 6 weeks either side of the solstice of morning daylight on my morning walks..then i get another month of half light before 7 months of total darkness returns 🤮😥

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
2 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

marks the half way point for morning daylight for me..i get 6 weeks either side of the solstice of morning daylight on my morning walks..then i get another month of half light before 7 months of total darkness returns 🤮😥

7 months! Thats harsh... we pish n moan at circa 3/4 months of dark mornings, obvs dependent on what time you rise from your slumber in the UK 😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
4 hours ago, lassie23 said:

It will stop at autumn and go straight back into summer

If only. 😉

Only way we can do that is going on holiday to somewhere like Australia or NZ around late November, which believe you me if I had the opportunity to do so I probably would. Midwinter in the UK is just yeuch.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
30 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

I suppose the one good thing is it takes time for the nights to draw in - the movement is very slow for the next 4 weeks or so, I only tend to notice a subtle change in the last week of July and the change only becomes really noticeable from around August 10th.

This is why I much prefer back-loaded summers with the best of the weather in the second half of July and August, not that they happen often (2016 would be a good recent example) to front-loaded summers. It compensates for the loss of daylight.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
46 minutes ago, Bobafet said:

One of the best days of the year!  Now we can look forward to the descent into darker evenings - in 2 months time it will begin to get dark at 8pm and can’t come a day sooner, roll on Autumn and begone this horrible warmth.

Darker evenings are no real fun though, whether your preference is for warm or cool.

They drastically restrict what you can do with the non-working part of the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
5 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

If only. 😉

Only way we can do that is going on holiday to somewhere like Australia or NZ around late November, which believe you me if I had the opportunity to do so I probably would. Midwinter in the UK is just yeuch.

My dislike of U.K. winters drives me off to South America in January for a month every couple of years  and the coming January might be one of those trips 

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I'd be happiest living in a country where the sun never set before 6pm, but still had varying seasons and frost and snow in the winter. I guess continental climates at latitudes around 40N could in theory achieve that, if they were in the "right" timezone.

Meanwhile here we have extreme early sunsets (almost the worst in Europe, including places north of this location such as Amsterdam, thanks to our silly winter timezone) and little in the way of frost or snow. The wrong way round! 4pm sunsets and seemingly near-constant stratus and drizzle are no fun at all.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
6 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I'd be happiest living in a country where the sun never set before 6pm, but still had varying seasons and frost and snow in the winter. I guess continental climates at latitudes around 40N could in theory achieve that, if they were in the "right" timezone.

Meanwhile here we have extreme early sunsets (almost the worst in Europe, including places north of this location such as Amsterdam, thanks to our silly winter timezone) and little in the way of frost or snow. The wrong way round! 4pm sunsets and seemingly near-constant stratus and drizzle are no fun at all.

If we didn’t put the clocks back, most people would be travelling to work in pitch black (especially further N). You’d be looking at near enough 9am to get properly light in December.

Even here in the middle of the country the sunrise at its latest is 8.23am. On all year BST the sun wouldn’t rise until 9.23am!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3