Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, markyo said:

The worst 3 months of the year coming up, lowering  of mood has started, hate it.

tis the best 3 months for me..sun is finally up when i go for my 5.30am walk..fresh morning breeze ..trees full of blossom and green green grass at last after 6 months of snow and the brown deadness of April.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
19 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

tis the best 3 months for me..sun is finally up when i go for my 5.30am walk..fresh morning breeze ..trees full of blossom and green green grass at last after 6 months of snow and the brown deadness of April.

Total opposite, next 3 months are the toughest for working in the job i do, at times almost unbearable. Will be counting the weeks down once 21st June has passed. This is the one season i could happily skip.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Yes now entered the lightest part of the year. I’ll make the most of it as the way time is flying it won’t belong before the days are drawing in again 🤣

• Like 1

Posted

I really haven't noticed it drawing out much tbh. Curtains are closed by 8/830. All the constant cloud makes it dark this far South

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 15/05/2023 at 11:52, markyo said:

The worst 3 months of the year coming up, lowering  of mood has started, hate it.

Afternoon @markyo. 🙂

The lowering of the mood for me started in mid April... And I know its gonna fester until about early/mid July time. *sigh* 😔
I know the nights are still short and light, but its a psychological thing, as at this point the daylight is diminishing, and for me, the fact that we're on the run out of summer, rather than on the run into it, makes it much more bearable. 

I know many of the good folk on here are absolutely loving this time of year, and long my they enjoy it... But for me I just feel like I want to crawl in a cave, and hibernate... But sadly I can't as I've got bills to pay.

I see that we've currently got quite a bit of high pressure forecast for the next couple of weeks... My heart just sinks at the thought of all of that extra glary overhead sunshine. It just feels like I've got no escape from the light at this time of year.

Ahhh well... We must look on the bright side... Only another five weeks to go until the nights start getting longer again. 🙂👍

In fact I've got the time of the summer solsctice (15:57) marked off on the calendar, so I can celebrate the days starting to get shorter again. 🙂

I swear I should have been born as a bat or a mole... Or some other darkness loving creature. Lol 🦇

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Afternoon @markyo. 🙂

The lowering of the mood for me started in mid April... And I know its gonna fester until about early/mid July time. *sigh* 😔
I know the nights are still short and light, but its a psychological thing, as at this point the daylight is diminishing, and for me, the fact that we're on the run out of summer, rather than on the run into it, makes it much more bearable. 

I know many of the good folk on here are absolutely loving this time of year, and long my they enjoy it... But for me I just feel like I want to crawl in a cave, and hibernate... But sadly I can't as I've got bills to pay.

I see that we've currently got quite a bit of high pressure forecast for the next couple of weeks... My heart just sinks at the thought of all of that extra glary overhead sunshine. It just feels like I've got no escape from the light at this time of year.

Ahhh well... We must look on the bright side... Only another five weeks to go until the nights start getting longer again. 🙂👍

In fact I've got the time of the summer solsctice (15:57) marked off on the calendar, so I can celebrate the days starting to get shorter again. 🙂

I swear I should have been born as a bat or a mole... Or some other darkness loving creature. Lol 🦇

Very much a kindred spirit mate, its the wearing down that gets me, i hate hate bright sunlight, makes me feel sick literally. Stay strong and we'll turn the corner in just over a month!!

• Like 2

Posted
On 08/05/2023 at 20:02, cheeky_monkey said:

not for me it isn't.... by end of July morning darkness starts to creep back in again 😥

Different latitude.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hit that point in the year when there is no official 'night' lightwise. Just various degrees of twilight..Sunset will soon be after half 9 and on clear evenings such as now, you can see quite well until 10pm.. we have 2 months of this!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Hey all,
Another bright-night season is upon us. It's a season I don't get on with mainly as despite as dark as bedroom I can make my body always seems to decide to wake up as sunrise occurs so I'm fighting 5am wake-ups at present! Working in education the sun always seems to roll back to around 9pm sunset as the school year finishes which is 8 weeks or so away. I always find the May-July time difficult, I think it's due to mentally knowing that come August we start loosing daylight rapidly (3.5mins a day on average) and for whatever reason my body relaxes more.

I'm not a huge fan of the long-dark winter nights but I can get along with them better than the daylight period between May-July. 

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Spent all day on the East coast and cloudy but came home to West Yorkshire later and caught sight of the sun for the first time in the day at 21.15 just befoe sunset,not many times that would have happened in my life!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Finally it's June! My favourite month of all. Roll on the 9.20 sunsets later this month and the chance of midnight NLCs. And more especially, roll on some plumes at some point...

• Like 1

Posted

It will be 22:02 here. And a couple of years ago I built a new new lithic marker for solar noon on the solstice, which is BST 13:27 here. Shadow from large stone is the shortest it can be all year for a few seconds and is marked at the very base of the small stone. Excuse the shadow of my big head.

Could contain: Slate, Grass, Plant, Rock, Tomb, Gravestone, Path, Walkway, Soil

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Only 3 weeks until the nights start drawing again. #NearlyAutumn 

But I haven't spent more than 1 evening outside yet and that was in my coat. It's not warm enough to sit out in the evening at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
7 hours ago, Downburst said:

It will be 22:02 here. 

Very jealous of that! And even better in NI and NW Scotland too of course! I suspect they've already surpassed our solstice peak of circa 9.20 up there!

Edited by ResonantChannelThunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Circa 3 weeks until we hit the turn around point and start the long journey back towards NH winter darkness. Time seems to have passed quickly since the winter solstice!

2 months until August when the increasing night time darkness starts to get noticed. Will soon be here.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted
On 16/05/2023 at 18:24, markyo said:

Very much a kindred spirit mate, its the wearing down that gets me, i hate hate bright sunlight, makes me feel sick literally. Stay strong and we'll turn the corner in just over a month!!

I'm very much the same. I can't stand blazing overhead sunshine that we get May/June/July. The light doesn't feel soft, it's harsh and glaring...almost like a white light. By August though the softness in the light begins to return and it doesn't feel half as bad as the few weeks either side of the solstice.

We're in peak time now until about mid July.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
7 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I'm very much the same. I can't stand blazing overhead sunshine that we get May/June/July. The light doesn't feel soft, it's harsh and glaring...almost like a white light. By August though the softness in the light begins to return and it doesn't feel half as bad as the few weeks either side of the solstice.

We're in peak time now until about mid July.

Which is fair enough as some people can find the light at this time of year to be particularly strong. Personally don’t mind it myself, but can see how it gets distracting and annoying for some.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Less than 2 weeks to go before we hit the solstice. Doesn't seem 5 mins since the winter one 

Not far off the earliest sunrise now. Circa 1 week to go.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Yes has crept up on us very quickly this year I feel, but probably more a sign I'm getting older and each year seems to whizz by faster than the last.

These are the weeks to savour, in the depths of winter they feel all too far away. We are in true twilight, last couple of weeks have been very clear, starry skies, light enough to not need a torch.

• Like 5

Posted

I personally find the time-frame between the Spring Equinox and Autumn Equinox is more manageable than looking to the Solstices every 6 months in terms of halving the year light-wise, both seasons have their pros/cons weather-wise but midwinter to midsummer offers little adjustment when it comes to light before the seasonal turn-around begins again. Of course it could be much worse and we could be living somewhere like Iceland, northern Canada or Norway where they barely see any sun during the winter and too much sun in the summer.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
7 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Morning @CreweCold 🙂
Believe me, I'm counting off the days until the earliest sunrise, and the solstice itself, so I can finally celebrate the days starting to get shorter and the nights longer.

For me, as a summer SAD sufferer, this year has been a particularly long and hard slog.  🥺

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

It’s weird but this year (perhaps it’s a new job) but I’m loving this season. After years of suffering with reverse seasonal disorder, this year it’s washing over me. Long  May it continue 🙂 

One step at a time but it’s nice to relax and not panic. Still looking forward to my favourite season (Autumn) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1