Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

Woke up at 4:30 this morning, and it was still dark. Started getting light around 4:40ish.

Mid August now, so definitely moving into that late summer stage. Peak summer ended this past weekend for me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
27 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Woke up at 4:30 this morning, and it was still dark. Started getting light around 4:40ish.

Mid August now, so definitely moving into that late summer stage. Peak summer ended this past weekend for me. 

Yep it’s back end now. The summer equivalent of that day in February where you just know that spring is around the corner.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Yep it’s back end now. The summer equivalent of that day in February where you just know that spring is around the corner.

Yeah, the last phase of summer. By mid September is when I feel we are in full autumn mode, as it’s dark until almost 6am, and evenings are dark by 7pm. 

That’s usually when I start to notice the drop in temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, the last phase of summer. By mid September is when I feel we are in full autumn mode, as it’s dark until almost 6am, and evenings are dark by 7pm. 

its already still almost dark at 6am here already ..however sunset is still after 9pm 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Tomorrow will see the first pre 8:30pm sunset here since 28th of April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

First time I'm noticing that the sun angle is lower at midday than it was a month or so ago, a full 10 degrees lower in the sky.

On 15/08/2023 at 06:01, Sunny76 said:

Look out for the bird formations heading south, normally around mid September ish. That's when it's autumn for me.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
15 hours ago, Nick L said:

First time I'm noticing that the sun angle is lower at midday than it was a month or so ago, a full 10 degrees lower in the sky.

Yeah and the loss is rapid through the month. Something like another 5 degree loss between now and month’s end.

Posted
7 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Yeah and the loss is rapid through the month. Something like another 5 degree loss between now and month’s end.

the most rapid loss of daylight through the year is between mid August and mid October and peaks around the Equinox 

• Like 1

Posted
On 15/08/2023 at 05:57, CreweCold said:

Agreed we've turned the corner, moving towards the darker half of the year. In that transition phase when you try to cling onto that high summer feeling, but each day is a losing battle and you finally admit defeat once the bank holiday passes. Not a great feeling, sooner be at the other end of the year in mid Feb in this respect.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Go away darkness

I always think we are extremely adaptable us humans. When we can have near twilight days in June, with light lingering past 11pm, yet come December days when it never gets truly light, and darkness descends full by half 3. Of course those who live above arctic circle are even more adaptable. Weeks with no natural light. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
23 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Go away darkness

its 7.40am its raining and its still dark..feels like the middle of January in England  

• Like 1

Posted

If I could freeze the angle of the earth relative to the sun, I'd do it this week. For me (in my current location) the day length feels just about perfect. 

Unfortunately it's at a time when the nights are starting to close in rapidly. I don't get to enjoy it for very long at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
Just now, rwtwm said:

If I could freeze the angle of the earth relative to the sun, I'd do it this week. For me (in my current location) the day length feels just about perfect. 

Unfortunately it's at a time when the nights are starting to close in rapidly. I don't get to enjoy it for very long at all.

I agree I you have ever been on the equator it’s horrible twilight last 30 mins max followed with 12 hours of dark never want to live there ,lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
6 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

Tomorrow will be the first post 6am sunrise since April in my area and Sunday the first pre 8pm sunset. Good Times are coming! 🥳🍂

Tomorrow is the first post 6am sunset for me but have to wait until next Thursday before sunset is before 8pm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

The last day of this month will be the first pre 8pm sunset for this neck of the woods since 11th of April. 

Just one week to go. 

As much as I am disappointed about the lack of summery weather this year, I am equally looking forward to the long cosy evenings. Though I do have sympathy for those who suffer from SAD.

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

The last day of this month will be the first pre 8pm sunset for this neck of the woods since 11th of April. 

Just one week to go. 

As much as I am disappointed about the lack of summery weather this year, I am equally looking forward to the long cosy evenings. Though I do have sympathy for those who suffer from SAD.

This summer has gone too quick. 

It always seems to speed up after the end of May, then it’s September again lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Just about managed to get home at 8.20pm after 5 aside football this week without turning on the car lights, aided by the clear evening. I suspect next week the lights will have to come on and this will mark the end of high summer in my mind - although to be fair the last week to 10 days has already felt like late summer/early autumn around here.

I dont mind the later sun rises but it still feels too early for the earlier sunsets, If I were in charge we would definitely be on GMT +2 in summer and GMT +1 in winter 😁

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

This summer has gone too quick. 

It always seems to speed up after the end of May, then it’s September again lol.

It seems to go quicker the older we get. 😁

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

It seems to go quicker the older we get. 😁

Yes that’s the truth. But, I remember while at school, the first week of the school holidays would seem to go at a nice slow pace. By mid August, you already feel that pull of ‘back to school’ which I hated lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1