Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
1 hour ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Well, according to BBC Weather, today is the last day my location gets a 'solstice' sunset of 21.22 (the latest it ever gets). It's great to have a 10-day period where the sunset is locked at that time, but sadly tomorrow will mark the beginning of 'the descent' for me.  It's a mental thing, because it makes no/little difference in what you notice for a week or two more, but you know it's happening!

I know - I find it very sad too.  There's so much anticipation when the evenings get lighter and lighter from late February onwards and then before you know it, it's the Longest Day and the downhill journey begins.  I don't know where the first half of the year has gone!  Also, the birds have almost stopped the dawn chorus I have noticed.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Well, according to BBC Weather, today is the last day my location gets a 'solstice' sunset of 21.22 (the latest it ever gets). It's great to have a 10-day period where the sunset is locked at that time, but sadly tomorrow will mark the beginning of 'the descent' for me.  It's a mental thing, because it makes no/little difference in what you notice for a week or two more, but you know it's happening!

I think my location's last day of solstice sunset was Thursday as the sun set last night and sets tonight at 21.38, instead of 21.39!

• Like 1

Posted

I gonna like the slow descent to dark nights again (just what I like my own preference)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, NUT said:

I gonna like the slow descent to dark nights again (just what I like my own preference)

Me too!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 hour ago, Don said:

I think my location's last day of solstice sunset was Thursday as the sun set last night and sets tonight at 21.38, instead of 21.39!

Yeah, I did notice the other day that some locations were already showing an earlier sunset, but other's not (until tomorrow or whatever)! Interesting...

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, sarahng said:

I know - I find it very sad too.  There's so much anticipation when the evenings get lighter and lighter from late February onwards and then before you know it, it's the Longest Day and the downhill journey begins.  I don't know where the first half of the year has gone!  Also, the birds have almost stopped the dawn chorus I have noticed.

We’ve still got a good 7 weeks or so before it becomes noticeable, especially in the mornings.

Mid August is where I notice the mornings start to become a little darker, and getting up around 5am is dark again.

Thankfully I won’t see morning darkness creeping in until mid September, as I changed jobs and went back to a 9-5. 

Posted
5 hours ago, sarahng said:

I did notice the lack of dawn chorus yesterday, Visited the loo about 4.30, and it was getting light, but very quiet. I was a bit miffed!

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Yeah, I did notice the other day that some locations were already showing an earlier sunset, but other's not (until tomorrow or whatever)! Interesting...

Where do you look to see when the times are?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
24 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Where do you look to see when the times are?

BBC location forecasts/their mobile app shows sunrise/sunset times for whatever location you put in, but of course you can only view the current day and the next 10 or so days.

For comprehensive info, you can go to https://www.timeanddate.com/  and type in a location to get details about the sunsets and rises for 365 days a year! It's a really good site with tonnes of interesting info to dive into.

Edited by ResonantChannelThunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Getting up for work at 430am it’s been lovely to have nearly 2 hours solid sunlight/ daylight before work but by the end of this month here we’ll be heading back towards 6am sunrise. It’s the mornings we loose quickly first here. If this planned heatwave comes off that’ll help offset the loss! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 23/06/2022 at 07:48, stainesbloke said:

Must be a difficult time of year for a reverse SAD sufferer, though I guess living in one of the cooler and cloudier parts of a generally cool and cloudy country must help somewhat?

I’m the opposite, I soak up the sun like a solar battery, ready and charged for the grim winter darkness. Sunlight makes me feel good, the warmth eases the various aches and pains that winter brings and my mood is lifted and more optimistic. But certainly, there’s beauty to be found in every season and the mellow mists and fogs of autumn are very special.

Morning @stainesbloke 

Yeah, this isn’t a good time of year for me. When as most other normal folk feel vibrant and full of life, I just want to crawl in a dark cave and stay there until autumn. The flip side of this being November, December, January when I feel vibrant and full of life, and most others feel as I do now. 

The feeling of dread kicks in for me around April time, (which isn’t a good month for me anyway…) and then festers until around very late July/early August. By then the shortening of the days is becoming ever so apparent, and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel… Or should that be darkness at the end of the tunnel? Lol  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

I woke up at around 04:20 ish this morning as the dog wanted out. 
But whilst the hound was sniffing aimlessly at things in the garden, I couldn’t help but notice how much darker things have become at this time of day!

I work shifts, so it’s normal for me to be up and about at this time of day. 

Now ok, it’s been two weeks since we passed the summer solstice, and I’ll admit that I’ve been looking ever so hard for the first tangible signs of the days starting to shortern; but I was absolutely agog at how much darker this time of the day has become!

As a summer S.A.D. Sufferer, this has cheered my cold, dark heart up no end.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Time's marching on....

image.thumb.png.49e1d0fb93ab7ddb89da10d059fdd43a.png

Certainly is! ??
… And for the record, this morning was the first time that I’ve noticed lack of dawn chorus as well!

So the critters are starting to notice the increasing darkness as well.

Edit: I’ve just been mentally working out, and we’ve lost roughly 10 minutes of daylight since the solstice!

Edited by Dangerous55019
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Sunset is at 22:02 tonight. That’ll be the nights starting to draw in….

Posted
14 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Sunset is at 22:02 tonight. That’ll be the nights starting to draw in….

Morning @Glaswegianblizzard
21:39 around this neck of the woods according to Time and Date. Although having said that, it’s normally about 10 minutes earlier around this parts due to the topography of the land.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
12 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning @Glaswegianblizzard
21:39 around this neck of the woods according to Time and Date. Although having said that, it’s normally about 10 minutes earlier around this parts due to the topography of the land.

It actually lasts longer here. Even though the sky is 100% cloud covered there’s still quite a bit of light outside. Probably about 11pm before that’s gone completely.

Posted

Morning everyone.

Well I have seen it with my own eyes! The sun’s southernward trek is underway at both ends of the day! ☀️

Yesterday evening I went for a walk across the fields to watch the sunset. The top photo was taken on the 27th June, the bottom photo was taken, in exactly the same place but ten day’s later, (last night) on the 7th of July. Also whilst walking home, I noticed it more dusky at 22:00.

Also for the record, I was up at 04:55 this morning, (as the dog wanted out) and although very bright, the sun wasn’t even above the horizon! Where as this time last week, it would have been.

9A362485-9E90-4CCB-A8BE-650024E8FEAE.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The later sunrises are just starting to become noticeable now. Civil twilight begins 20 minutes later now than at the solstice and we're losing over 2 minutes of light a day.

Couple more weeks and true darkness will begin to return up here rather than astronomical twilight.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
On 08/07/2022 at 05:33, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning everyone.

Well I have seen it with my own eyes! The sun’s southernward trek is underway at both ends of the day! ☀️

Yesterday evening I went for a walk across the fields to watch the sunset. The top photo was taken on the 27th June, the bottom photo was taken, in exactly the same place but ten day’s later, (last night) on the 7th of July. Also whilst walking home, I noticed it more dusky at 22:00.

Also for the record, I was up at 04:55 this morning, (as the dog wanted out) and although very bright, the sun wasn’t even above the horizon! Where as this time last week, it would have been.

9A362485-9E90-4CCB-A8BE-650024E8FEAE.jpeg

Nearly Christmas.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I noticed it last night when I came out to wash down the patio from chicken poo. Delightful job ... I was out about 945 and could barely see the poo!

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I noticed it last night when I came out to wash down the patio from chicken poo. Delightful job ... I was out about 945 and could barely see the poo!

Not noticed anything yet with the sun setting at 21.30.  Still twilight now! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Sunset was 21:14 here tonight.  Looking forward to the darker evenings! Roll on September with Autumn around the corner and it being dark by 6! As Del Boy would say loverlllllllly Jubberrrrlllly!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bobafet said:

Sunset was 21:14 here tonight.  Looking forward to the darker evenings! Roll on September with Autumn around the corner and it being dark by 6! As Del Boy would say loverlllllllly Jubberrrrlllly!

As long as September is not an extension of summer this year like last!

• Like 3