Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
21 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Nearly Christmas.....

I’ve already got the sprouts on! 🔥🥬😁

Aaaand swerving swiftly back on topic… 😇
Today is our first post 05:00 sunrise since May the 23rd! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am now starting to gradually notice the nights drawing in. For the last month or so I have been closing my curtains at half nine in the evening. Whilst doing so this evening I noticed it was slightly darker than usual.

Noticing the daylight hours getting shorter is very gradual at the moment though. It isn't until mid August when it really does become noticeable.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

With all the fuss over this hot spell I hadn’t been paying much attention to the nights drawing in. It was dark by 11 tonight. Definitely drawing in now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The last couple of gloomy evenings have highlighted the nights starting to draw in. Left for work at 8:30pm and needed my headlights on.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

Agreed I haven't noticed it really until this evening even though the last couple of evenings have been cloudy. Needing to put the lights on around 8:30-9ish a month back easily could have lasted until nearer 10pm 

• Like 2

Posted

Once you get past 20th July , the sunset times rocket in , 25/5 to 10/07 golden times for evening light , starting to notice a lower sun in midday sky too now ….

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

At the end of this month, the sunset time for my location will be 21:01. At the beginning of July it was 21:33.

It's a good thing I am not at all bothered by the shorter daylight hours in the evenings. Mornings can be a little tricky during the darker months though, as I have more difficulty getting out of bed.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

At the end of this month, the sunset time for my location will be 21:01. At the beginning of July it was 21:33.

It's a good thing I am not at all bothered by the shorter daylight hours in the evenings. Mornings can be a little tricky during the darker months though, as I have more difficulty getting out of bed.

Morning's are tricky for me all year round with difficulty getting out of bed! 😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Tonight is the last post 21:00 sunset of the year for around here. Tomorrow night sunset will be 20:59.

"The nights are drawing in
And winter's coming fast;
The year has turned again.

I feel the beat of rain
The wind, an icy blast-
The nights are drawing in.

The Earth is pale, and thin:
The days of warmth have passed

The harvest, gathered in.
The die of Life is cast.
The nights are drawing in.

So poor, the shrivelled grain:
The fields are bare. At last

We gather with our kin
To celebrate the past.
The nights are drawing in-
The year has turned again."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just beginning to note a subtle shift in light levels during the evening, more so given we've had a couple of overcast grey wet ones, which has meant a sudden plunge into dusk... despite this, it isn't until around the second week of August light levels drop markedly.. make the most of the evenings of the next couple of weeks - but there is no denying we are now sliding down the curve..admittedly very slowly to start.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I'm not a big fan of the 6 weeks before or after the summer solstice. The amount of daylight does my head in a bit especially in the mornings. So at this time of year I look forward to more normal amount of daylight hrs coupled with the sun becoming more gentle in the sky........

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning everyone. 😊

My first time on ‘Earlies’ this morning since late last month, and it’s amazing how much  the darkness has come on at this time of day! 🌌🥳

I now need the light on in the kitchen at 04:30, where as only four weeks ago it was almost daylight. 

Soon be autumn folks. 🍃🍂🍁🍄😃👍🏻

🎵 The summer sun is fading as the year grows old 🎶And darker days are drawing near … 🎶

• Like 1

Posted

Awake at 4.45am again - almost two hours before the alarm! I love light evenings so much, but light mornings manage to wake me up even though we have a blackout lining on my curtains!! I find it so hard to be asleep when it's light.

Equally, when the nights start drawing in I feel very depressed!! I'm just so affected by daylight hours.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

I absolutely hate the nights drawing in - hate the horrible claustrophobic feeling it creates.  I love it being light at 4.30 ish in the morning - I never pull my curtains, winter or summer, so that I get maximum light.  No trouble sleeping in the light either - guess I am lucky.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, sarahng said:

I absolutely hate the nights drawing in - hate the horrible claustrophobic feeling it creates.  I love it being light at 4.30 ish in the morning - I never pull my curtains, winter or summer, so that I get maximum light.  No trouble sleeping in the light either - guess I am lucky.

Me too! The horrible time of year is coming! But, as I'm only five months away from my pension, I'll stay on BST this winter, and save an hour a day on light and heat?👍

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
9 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning everyone. 😊

My first time on ‘Earlies’ this morning since late last month, and it’s amazing how much  the darkness has come on at this time of day! 🌌🥳

I now need the light on in the kitchen at 04:30, where as only four weeks ago it was almost daylight. 

🎵 The summer sun is fading as the year grows old 🎶And darker days are drawing near … 🎶

i have started to notice the lessening light in the mornings here..out on my morning walk at 5.30am street lights are now still on when i first get out the door and had to turn my lights on in the house when i got up..give it a month and will be back into pretty much full darkness again 😰

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
39 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i have started to notice the lessening light in the mornings here..out on my morning walk at 5.30am street lights are now still on when i first get out the door and had to turn my lights on in the house when i got up..give it a month and will be back into pretty much full darkness again 😰

I think we're pretty much on the same northerly latitude. I love cold but the only thing I don't like about up here is how early it starts to go dark near the winter solstice not long after 3pm, if it's a dull wet day, which is often the case in December it can start a bit earlier than that...feels like you have the lights on most of the waking day if you're at home. At the other end of the spectrum I think we get too much daylight around the summer solstice, gets light too early for my liking, some might like that though. But it's even worse for the likes of Shetland where they stay in civil twilight all night long in the north of the island. Once we get to mid August I think we start to get into near perfect balance of daylight/nighttime.

• Like 1

Posted

My favourite times of the year are around the two equinoxes as day and night are approximately the same length.

I like the dark evenings because being a bit of an introvert I like the peacefulness and there's not as many people around. But I also like the long daylight hours as it is nice to hear the birds tweeting happily away, plus I have more difficulty getting out of bed on dark mornings.

I think what would be great would be to have day and night of equal length all year round, as I see good and bad in both and I think many people would be happier. But then again, there wouldn't be much point in this thread would there? 😀

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
11 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning everyone. 😊

Amazing how different people can be! This is not something for celebration from my POV, it's depressing! Still, a couple of months to go still until the truly horrific period of the year sets in.

They were putting out Halloween stuff in one of the shops I went in at the weekend..... 😷

• Like 3

Posted

I love the sudden transition that takes place when the clocks go back..  psychologically no other day has such an affect as the Sunday after they go back.. that plunge into darkness around 4.30pm has profound impact.. far more than the day after clocks go forward. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 25/07/2022 at 10:13, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

My favourite times of the year are around the two equinoxes as day and night are approximately the same length.

I like the dark evenings because being a bit of an introvert I like the peacefulness and there's not as many people around. But I also like the long daylight hours as it is nice to hear the birds tweeting happily away, plus I have more difficulty getting out of bed on dark mornings.

I think what would be great would be to have day and night of equal length all year round, as I see good and bad in both and I think many people would be happier. But then again, there wouldn't be much point in this thread would there? 😀

could always move to Singapore..think sunset/sunrise times only vary by 10 mins all year 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1