Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Sad day for me 

After racing through the light gaining months of April, May and June, it now means we've only got about 8-9 weeks of decent light left. By mid to late August it's dark again by 8 and you know it's all over for another year. Gone so quickly. Best enjoy hopefully a nice peak of summer over the next 4-5 weeks. A bulk of days like today at 24c and sunny would be much appreciated!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Sad day for me 

After racing through the light gaining months of April, May and June, it now means we've only got about 8-9 weeks of decent light left. By mid to late August it's dark again by 8 and you know it's all over for another year. Gone so quickly. Best enjoy hopefully a nice peak of summer over the next 4-5 weeks. A bulk of days like today at 24c and sunny would be much appreciated!

Me too. Group hug mate. Sad times! But lets hope the second half of summer puts on a better show than the first!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
19 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Me too. Group hug mate. Sad times! But lets hope the second half of summer puts on a better show than the first!

Not been too bad so far (touch wood!). Certainly had a lot worse! Only really had a couple of really dreadful wet and cold days and 28mm total rain in the three weeks of June so far, so June 2022 definitely won't go down in the hall of shame 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
On 21/06/2022 at 10:21, Dangerous55019 said:

10:13 on Tuesday the 21st of June 2021, and the summer solstice has just occurred! ☀️
Yes folks, the pendulum has finally reached the end of its stroke! ⌛
Today we have got nine hours and twenty seven minutes more daylight than we had back in December! 

As a sufferer of summer S.A.D. I for one look forward shortening days, gathering mists, ripening fruits, and look forward to welcoming the increasing darkness; like an old friend returning. ?
I’m fully aware that summer has still got one or two nasty tricks up it’s sleeve, but this is an important milestone/turning point that needs celebrating.

The summer sun is fading as the year grows oldAnd darker days are drawing near…

0E5AF656-26D5-40B3-A1A6-1FD9096469BF.jpeg

That song has got to be the most depressing song EVER written!!  It immediately lowers my mood and almost makes me want to cry!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Just to note for those thinking the days are getting shorter now,that may be the case but in fact Friday 24th and Saturday 25th will actually have a one minute LATER Sunset than that of the solstice and it wont be until July 1st that the sunset is actually earlier than the solstice.Also even in 3 weeks time the sunset will only be 10 minutes earlier than of today.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Nothing extreme.
23 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Just to note for those thinking the days are getting shorter now,that may be the case but in fact Friday 24th and Saturday 25th will actually have a one minute LATER Sunset than that of the solstice and it wont be until July 1st that the sunset is actually earlier than the solstice.Also even in 3 weeks time the sunset will only be 10 minutes earlier than of today.

Very true, and another thing to note is the earliest sunrises of the year are a couple of days before the soltice which considerimg my own circumstances is the most important thing.

Edited by Stewart M

Posted
2 hours ago, hillbilly said:

I often see August 15th to the 20th as the window when the loss of daylight hours starts to become noticeable.

I think we are good all the way through July, as evenings are still quite long, and darkness doesn’t really creep in until 9:45pm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I often see August 15th to the 20th as the window when the loss of daylight hours starts to become noticeable.

I think we are good all the way through July, as evenings are still quite long, and darkness doesn’t really creep in until 9:45pm.

Agree, I only notice the days drawing in later in August. Plenty of long days to enjoy before then, hopefully with plenty of sunshine ☀️ 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
On 21/06/2022 at 11:21, Dangerous55019 said:

10:13 on Tuesday the 21st of June 2021, and the summer solstice has just occurred! ☀️
Yes folks, the pendulum has finally reached the end of its stroke! ⌛
Today we have got nine hours and twenty seven minutes more daylight than we had back in December! 

As a sufferer of summer S.A.D. I for one look forward shortening days, gathering mists, ripening fruits, and look forward to welcoming the increasing darkness; like an old friend returning. ?
I’m fully aware that summer has still got one or two nasty tricks up it’s sleeve, but this is an important milestone/turning point that needs celebrating.

The summer sun is fading as the year grows oldAnd darker days are drawing near…

0E5AF656-26D5-40B3-A1A6-1FD9096469BF.jpeg

Must be a difficult time of year for a reverse SAD sufferer, though I guess living in one of the cooler and cloudier parts of a generally cool and cloudy country must help somewhat?

I’m the opposite, I soak up the sun like a solar battery, ready and charged for the grim winter darkness. Sunlight makes me feel good, the warmth eases the various aches and pains that winter brings and my mood is lifted and more optimistic. But certainly, there’s beauty to be found in every season and the mellow mists and fogs of autumn are very special.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Agree, I only notice the days drawing in later in August. Plenty of long days to enjoy before then, hopefully with plenty of sunshine ☀️ 

And even then, it's still 8pm before it starts getting dark. The next hurdle is late September, when it becomes much darker, and we drop rapidly into that early autumn winter feeling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

For me, it is usually around the middle of August (some years earlier) that the shortening daylight hours starts to become noticeable. Starting to notice this change in daylight hours signals the end of high summer and the beginning of late summer. When I was at school, the summer holidays always seemed to really speed up around that time too. Before I knew it I was back at school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

For me, it is usually around the middle of August (some years earlier) that the shortening daylight hours starts to become noticeable. Starting to notice this change in daylight hours signals the end of high summer and the beginning of late summer. When I was at school, the summer holidays always seemed to really speed up around that time too. Before I knew it I was back at school.

Yes, it would usually coincide with the period after you’ve been on school holidays for 4 weeks, but still have another 2 weeks left to go. Still feels like a long time to go, but the holidays rapidly speed up by then.

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

And even then, it's still 8pm before it starts getting dark. The next hurdle is late September, when it becomes much darker, and we drop rapidly into that early autumn winter feeling.

Although I notice the nights drawing in around mid August, it's September when the nights really start to draw in rapidly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

It's the mornings that become noticeable quite quickly. Civil twilight here starts at 3.50 at it's earliest, which is already 3.55 by the end of June. By the middle of July this is 4.15.

It's usually mid July when I notice the days shortening.

By the 28th of July, gone is the all night lingering twilight and we get proper darkness here.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
22 hours ago, CreweCold said:

It's the mornings that become noticeable quite quickly. Civil twilight here starts at 3.50 at it's earliest, which is already 3.55 by the end of June. By the middle of July this is 4.15.

It's usually mid July when I notice the days shortening.

By the 28th of July, gone is the all night lingering twilight and we get proper darkness here.

I think August 15th is where you notice a large amount of daylight and the summer feeling is starting to decline.

• Like 1

Posted
22 hours ago, Don said:

Although I notice the nights drawing in around mid August, it's September when the nights really start to draw in rapidly.

Yeah I agree. 

Posted

We've reached peak daylight.. whilst peak warmth usually occurs in another month's time along with the 'high summer' feeling.

Its notable the difference an overcast evening makes, recent nights have seen it stay light until near 11pm with the twilight effect, however, this evening it went dark quite quickly thanks to cloudy skies and it hasn't had the same feeling about it.

Can't beat cloud free evenings this time of year, alas the next few look cloudy here, so that may well be it for the peak evening light for another year...

• Thanks 1

Posted
On 21/06/2022 at 07:03, Boydie said:

This year is going quickly. Or I’m just getting older (is 42 old?). Still lots of good usable light and weather to come.

Slight off topic, but I always feel the first half of the year goes quicker than the second, but the second is often far busier.. indeed the year typically only gets going when April arrives.. but when it does it goes into a bit of a frenzy which means the April - June period for me always seems to go quickest, things slow down somewhat July and August... despite lots of social engagements - perhaps the less frenziness of work balances things out.. Sept - Dec is busy all round.. Jan- Feb and July-August times of the year when you can pause somewhat and breathe coinciding with the true winter and summer state of mind..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Its notable the difference an overcast evening makes, recent nights have seen it stay light until near 11pm with the twilight effect, however, this evening it went dark quite quickly thanks to cloudy skies and it hasn't had the same feeling about it.

Yes, this evening felt very different!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

This photo was taken a couple of days ago at 12.20.AM. By3.15AM it was light again. Further North it is much lighter. 

image.jpeg.142924cd1379e7dee2c37212f6818511.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Slight off topic, but I always feel the first half of the year goes quicker than the second, but the second is often far busier.. indeed the year typically only gets going when April arrives.. but when it does it goes into a bit of a frenzy which means the April - June period for me always seems to go quickest, things slow down somewhat July and August... despite lots of social engagements - perhaps the less frenziness of work balances things out.. Sept - Dec is busy all round.. Jan- Feb and July-August times of the year when you can pause somewhat and breathe coinciding with the true winter and summer state of mind..

The year usually starts off slow from my perspective.

January 1st until March 1st always seems like a lifetime, and by the time March arrives, Christmas and the New Year is and does feel like a long time ago already.

I find the period from March 21st or thereabouts until about late July goes pretty fast, and the year seems to motor during April to late June( probably because I like the lighter evenings and mornings).

However, the year seems to slow down by August, and the last remains of summer are to be savoured.

September 1st for me does kickstart the gradual decent into winter unfortunately, and by early October, the road to Christmas starts to pick up and the year runs away again.

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
18 hours ago, damianslaw said:

We've reached peak daylight.. whilst peak warmth usually occurs in another month's time along with the 'high summer' feeling.

Can't beat cloud free evenings this time of year, alas the next few look cloudy here, so that may well be it for the peak evening light for another year...

A cloudy evening will take an hour off comparative light compared to a clear night in mid summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

As a summer SAD sufferer and having had to take anti depression meds for years to get through- this summer so far hasn’t been too bad for me. It could be as I had a depression episode back in April that I’m going to avoid the worst this year. Equally I’ve changed jobs and that could have helped as well. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Well, according to BBC Weather, today is the last day my location gets a 'solstice' sunset of 21.22 (the latest it ever gets). It's great to have a 10-day period where the sunset is locked at that time, but sadly tomorrow will mark the beginning of 'the descent' for me.  It's a mental thing, because it makes no/little difference in what you notice for a week or two more, but you know it's happening!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1