Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I managed to get very slightly sun burned after spending the afternoon at the allotment the other day. Neglected to put sun cream on my face. Definitely got some strength to it now.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

roughly 2 weeks to go until im back into getting up and its light outside ...looking at sunrise times in my location i have exactly 4 months - April 22, - Aug 22, where civil twilight starts the same time i get up..after Aug 22 im back in the dark for 8 months

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

UV index of 5 being forecasted here tomorrow with the Sun reaching a maximum cozenith elevation of 47 degrees.  Good to see bright sunshine at 7am has returned!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Love having the daylight back at the evening end of the day, so much better for getting out and about after work.

Just a pity we cant go to double British Summer Time so its not light at ridiculous O'clock in the morning in summer.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Wynn D Woo said:

Love having the daylight back at the evening end of the day, so much better for getting out and about after work.

Just a pity we cant go to double British Summer Time so its not light at ridiculous O'clock in the morning in summer.

That's how the French do it!  Meridian isn't until 14:00!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 08/04/2022 at 11:15, Wynn D Woo said:

Morning @Wynn D Woo 
Whilst I hold my hands up and say that I'm certainly not a fan of double BST, lets just be grateful that we don't stay with GMT all year round! Lol 

The first reference to changing the clocks was in a lighthearted letter from an American called Benjamin Franklin to the ‘Journal De Paris’ in 1784. He suggested that church bells and cannons should be used every morning to encourage people to get out of bed earlier and make the most of the extra daylight, saving energy and increasing productivity!

This idea was then set aside for the next hundred years or so, and then in 1895 when New Zealand entomologist George Vernon Hudson proposed that clocks be put forward two hours in the summer! But once again, it came to nothing.

It was then in 1905, when a British builder, William Willet put forward a similar suggestion, that the idea of changing the clocks in the summer started to gain traction. His vision was that putting the clocks forward in spring would give people more time for evening leisure activities... And so the Daylight Saving Bill was proposed in 1908, stipulating that clocks should be changed by one hour twice a year! This bill despite having supporters such as Winston Churchill, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was defeated in the house of commons by just one vote! 

Ultimately it was a result of the Great War (World War 1) that led to Daylight Saving being introduced in 1916, after both Germany and Austria both implemented a similar scheme. So in order not to give any advantage to the then enemy, and as a response to public safety and energy concerns, Parliament finally relented and introduced Daylight Savings as an Emergency Measure.

These changes were confirmed as an official and permanent measure in 1925 with the passing of the Summer Time Act in Britain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 08/04/2022 at 14:24, damianslaw said:

Noticing the lengthening light in the evenings now. Yesterday was a clear sky evening and it was still light at 8.30pm. 

Morning @damianslaw 
I can confirm (thanks to the dog wanting out last night) that there is still a (very)dark royal blue light in the sky at 21:50!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
3 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning @Wynn D Woo 
Whilst I hold my hands up and say that I'm certainly not a fan of double BST, lets just be grateful that we don't stay with GMT all year round! Lol 

The first reference to changing the clocks was in a lighthearted letter from an American called Benjamin Franklin to the ‘Journal De Paris’ in 1784. He suggested that church bells and cannons should be used every morning to encourage people to get out of bed earlier and make the most of the extra daylight, saving energy and increasing productivity!

This idea was then set aside for the next hundred years or so, and then in 1895 when New Zealand entomologist George Vernon Hudson proposed that clocks be put forward two hours in the summer! But once again, it came to nothing.

It was then in 1905, when a British builder, William Willet put forward a similar suggestion, that the idea of changing the clocks in the summer started to gain traction. His vision was that putting the clocks forward in spring would give people more time for evening leisure activities... And so the Daylight Saving Bill was proposed in 1908, stipulating that clocks should be changed by one hour twice a year! This bill despite having supporters such as Winston Churchill, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was defeated in the house of commons by just one vote! 

Ultimately it was a result of the Great War (World War 1) that led to Daylight Saving being introduced in 1916, after both Germany and Austria both implemented a similar scheme. So in order not to give any advantage to the then enemy, and as a response to public safety and energy concerns, Parliament finally relented and introduced Daylight Savings as an Emergency Measure.

These changes were confirmed as an official and permanent measure in 1925 with the passing of the Summer Time Act in Britain.

Hi @Dangerous55019

I'm very grateful we dont stay on GMT all year therse days, such a waste of daylight.

I guess some peoples stance boils down to whether they are a morning person or a night owl...Im really not a fan of getting up in the morning and so being woken up at 5-5.30 am in summer because its light,  just leaves me tired and grumpy -  then when i want to be sat out in the evening in the garden or the beer garden, its annoying its getting dark well before bedtime! ?‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted

I've just realised that today marks the start of the lingering twilight season for another year here in the British Isles! In that far northern outpost of Scotland called Saxa Vord they now have astronomical twilight (that blue glow in the sky) until the 25th of August! 

... And obviously it gets much lighter as the summer goes on for them.

But the majority of us will have to wait until next month before we enter the world of the lingering twilight.

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

I've just realised that today marks the start of the lingering twilight season for another year here in the British Isles! In that far northern outpost of Scotland called Saxa Vord they now have astronomical twilight (that blue glow in the sky) until the 25th of August! 

But the majority of us will have to wait until next month before we enter the world of the lingering twilight.

starts here May 14th and last until August 1st 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms
6 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

What on earth is lingering twilight, can anyone explain please?

Posted

Good afternoon @Sentinel 

Because of your location on the planet, during the summer months it never goes completely dark. If you look towards the north on a summers evening, you'll see that the sky doesn't go completely dark, there is always like a dim blue glow towards the north horizon - the lingering twilight. The further north you are, the brighter the sky is at midnight. Basically its because we're close to the land of the midnight sun. 

Just now, Dangerous55019 said:

Good afternoon @Sentinel 

Because of our location on the planet, during the summer months it never goes completely dark. If you look towards the north on a summers evening, you'll see that the sky doesn't go completely dark, there is always like a dim blue glow towards the north horizon - the lingering twilight. The further north you are, the brighter the sky is at midnight. Basically its because we're close to the land of the midnight sun. 

• Like 1

Posted

And why have I just quoted myself in a reply to someone else? 
One day I'll learn how to use this forum! Lol 

And swerving swiftly back on topic... In just two months time it'll be the summer solstice! 

I just hope my reverse SAD holds out (holds off... You know what I mean) ... As the past couple of years I've had it really quite bad during the late spring and early summer. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Dangerous55019 said:

And swerving swiftly back on topic... In just two months time it'll be the summer solstice! 

That made me a little depressed to think in 2 months we will be turning the corner once again and heading back into darkness..im still struggling to get out of winter here..been cold and cloudy for the last 2 weeks which has meant due to the lack of  sunshine the morning darkness is still clinging on by its finger tips 

Posted

Evenings properly drawing out now, especially given the recent run of sunny ones. Now not really dark until after 9pm, enabling good use of the evening light. 2 months still to go until we hit summer solstice. Love the transition between now and mid May when we hit what I call 'twilight season', the best time of all, lasting through to mid July.  Entering the best 3 month period of the year in my book.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Popped out at around 20:45 this evening, and it wasn't yet completely dark. I think it's fair to say that the long daylight hours are well and truly with us now. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
On 21/04/2022 at 21:39, damianslaw said:

Evenings properly drawing out now, especially given the recent run of sunny ones. Now not really dark until after 9pm, enabling good use of the evening light. 2 months still to go until we hit summer solstice. Love the transition between now and mid May when we hit what I call 'twilight season', the best time of all, lasting through to mid July.  Entering the best 3 month period of the year in my book.

Yes it’s that time again, but I often say once we hit my birthday, which is late May it’s September again lol.

I never wish for it, but once we move through June, the year tends to move faster, but maybe that’s just me. And once we enter August, that high summer twilight vibe is replaced by a late summer feeling.

The darkness subtly creeps back in around the 15th of August. Anyway, that’s ages away.

49 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Popped out at around 20:45 this evening, and it wasn't yet completely dark. I think it's fair to say that the long daylight hours are well and truly with us now. 

We are at the same level of light evenings for early August. We are now moving into the peak period of lighter days until late July. 

I really love this time of year.

Like I said in my last post though, once we get past the late May to June period, it’s mid August before you know again lol.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes it’s that time again, but I often say once we hit my birthday, which is late May it’s September again lol.

I never wish for it, but once we move through June, the year tends to move faster, but maybe that’s just me. And once we enter August, that high summer twilight vibe is replaced by a late summer feeling.

The darkness subtly creeps back in around the 15th of August. Anyway, that’s ages away.

We are at the same level of light evenings for early August. We are now moving into the peak period of lighter days until late July. 

I really love this time of year.

Like I said in my last post though, once we get past the late May to June period, it’s mid August before you know again lol.

A high pressure overhead mid May to early June at any stage can't be bettered I feel. May hands down best month of year, full of hope!

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

14.5 hours of daylight here now.  Sun rising 53° above the horizon and feeling rather warm despite the cool breeze.  Decreasing atmospheric attenuation along with clear skies meaning those UV levels are getting rather high now, already got a slight tan!

• Like 1

Posted

finally made into full daylight for my morning walk..will now start putting my walk time in line with sunrise each week so the next few weeks will get up 10mins earlier every Saturday morning so by mid June will start my walks at 5am rather than 6am as they are now ..this way can take advantage of those beautiful cool summer mornings with no one around and no traffic on the roads.

• Like 1

Posted

Whilst on my break in work I've just been having a look at the excellent Time and Date website, ( http://www.timeanddate.com ) and I've just noticed that the lingering twilight has now reached the boarder town of Berwick-upon-Tweed! In fact this coming weekend is my last weekend of true darkness, before the 29th July, as the darkness takes its summer break! ?️

I know that meteorological summer starts on the 1st June, but light wise I think I can safely say, welcome to summer 2022. ?️☀️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Whilst on my break in work I've just been having a look at the excellent Time and Date website, ( http://www.timeanddate.com ) and I've just noticed that the lingering twilight has now reached the boarder town of Berwick-upon-Tweed! In fact this coming weekend is my last weekend of true darkness, before the 29th July, as the darkness takes its summer break! ?️

I know that meteorological summer starts on the 1st June, but light wise I think I can safely say, welcome to summer 2022. ?️☀️

Yep, we're definitely into that 3 month period now (May/June/July) where it feels truly summer-like with it staying light until 9/10pm. At least the weather has been mainly playing ball with some warmth and sunshine!

• Like 2

Posted
On 21/04/2022 at 16:34, cheeky_monkey said:

That made me a little depressed to think in 2 months we will be turning the corner once again and heading back into darkness..im still struggling to get out of winter here..been cold and cloudy for the last 2 weeks which has meant due to the lack of  sunshine the morning darkness is still clinging on by its finger tips 

Morning @cheeky_monkey 
The weird thing is I'm the exact opposite, I'm counting down the days to the summer solstice because I suffer with reverse SAD, so I'm the exact opposite of most of the good folk on this forum, and looking forward to the returning of the darkness. 

Its the same every year for me, as soon as April arrives, I just feel this wave of hopelessness come over me, and most of the time all I want to do is just hide away or cry, but I have bills to pay etc, etc... But once the solstice has passed, I look ever so hard for the first signs of the shortening of the days, and once I see it (normally in a morning as I work shifts) it feels like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders, which is utterly bonkers, as there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

The flip side of being a reverse SAD sufferer is that come October/November/December time, I feel absolutely full of life, when most normal folk feel as I do now.

Edit: I've just read that back after I had posted, and god I'm starting to sound like laserguy! Lol ... Whatever happened to him? 

Edited by Dangerous55019
Decided to add a bit more
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I like this time of the year. Once May arrives, spring is gradually fading away and summer starts knocking on the door. But whilst May can bring summery conditions, it still doesn't yet feel quite like summer, though at the same time it is starting to feel less like spring. Kind of like November but in reverse.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1